Dirt 5 [XBSX|S, PS5, PC, PS4, XO, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by chris1515, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

For me the driving model and controls, and the graphics are the two most important aspect of s racing game, though handling still comes first. The cars need to look and feel great, the track needs to look and feel great. Lighting counts for a lot. I loved GT, loved Driveclub, loved Motorstorm, loved Ubisoft’s F1 game on PC, and they all combined great graphics with great handling.

DSoup likes this.
  2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Motorstorm his the sweet spot of feeling fully in control, but knowing that it could go pear-shaped really quickly. I'm hoping DIRT 5 is the same, I'm only buying it for the off-road stuff, I'm not interest in driving on asphalt. I want mud. And DIRT! :yes:

3. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I totally do that in Gran Turismo Sport, usually because it looks good but most recently because I couldn't tell if there were tents or really unfortunate trees on a hillside on the outside of a turn in front of me. They were unfortunately placed/rotated (relative to the sun) trees. Can't remember the track off the top of my head. But this Dirt 5 controversy definitely has me looking for HQ GTS vids to recalibrate my expectations of Dirt 5.

Super GT put out an entertaining but presumably quickly made Dirt 5 multiplayer review on a PS4 / Pro. It's more about the MP experience (such as it is this early in the launch) than graphics, but I did note the decidedly not round headlights during the race start glamour shots and the strange stippling (for lack of a better word) of the reflections in the paint in the car select screen.

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or the Cherno reaction thread, but Gamersyde posted some HQ Dirt 5 captures for the "back, and to the left" devotees among us. The last batch were on XSX in both quality and resolution modes. I took a look at the quality one. It was okay. A lot fo the track was in full shadow.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Forum warriors look at screenshots. Screenshots aren't always representative of what you see while playing. Heck even video can sometimes be non-representative unless you are watching the video as if you are playing the game.

Alternatively if you generally watch people play games instead of playing games, these things will be more obvious.

Regards,
    SB

5. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

So I bought it, for PS5, my PS5 is supposed to arrive on the 19th, lets see. I might have gotten the PS4 version when I bought it, no plan to start it before I got a PS5 anyway.

6. chris1515

Legend Regular

The same problem than Drive Club in daytime the engine is not a looker but with the dynamic weather DC was one of the most beautiful game.

Silent_Buddha, pharma, dskneo and 3 others like this.
  7. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

I don’t know that Driveclub ever looked bland, even in bland weather conditions. But I may have memory fails.

8. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

What is up with the screen tearing in all those games? Where does it come from?

pharma, milk and egoless like this.
  9. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Does not feel like how i remember motorstorm. Its mere onrush, but i only played 4 races yet. Just got one where i did not win on my first attempt.

DSoup likes this.
  10. DSoup

DSoup meh

I'd like to play this before dropping £50-60 quid on it. I'm super particular about racing games which is why I buy so few.

11. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Doesn't the PS5 have a demo mode that you can play the game for a bit before you buy? I thought the patents suggested such.

12. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

As noted above, I have only played a few races, but it feels less chaotic than Motorstorm, less grand crazy jumps etc. Its more a n arcade rally game, not crazy offroad festival that Motorsport was.
    i liked onRush, it just got repetetive in away I do not remember Motorstorm became, but its been a while, it might just be nostalgia that fuels all of this.
    You do feel some of the linage Driveclub -> onRush -> Dirt 5.

DSoup likes this.
  13. DSoup

DSoup meh

I'll wait to see if they release a demo with one of the tracks. Hopefully an off-road one.

14. dskneo

Regular

Motorstorm (1&2) and Driveclub have legendary status in my book.

Regarding DC, like John says, It can look as bland as my view outside the window right now. Not every time of day looks like a national geographic documentary. But when the stars align - and they do so very ofter in DC - it look bananas. I still play it today. It hold up 100% (except for overall image quality regarding aliasing).

Fortunately, PS4 emulation is on-going on PC. Driveclub will have its shining day at 4K60 with proper AA.

15. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Its a decent romp, the first 3 races i basically won by floorubg the accelerator and barged my way through. The 4th one, where i stopped, i was not able to wun in 2 tries. But more i think about it, its driveclub rally at the moment.

DSoup likes this.
  16. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

17. Reynaldo

Newcomer

I think it looks rather nice.

Shame about the blocky hill in there somewhere. You know, mobile game.

18. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Took me a bunch of tries to get past race #4, my race #4, since you can pick your own sequence of races.
    Then the following ones was easy again and then I got a new one that is a bit challenging. The biggest challenge is to drive well, instead of just flooring it and trying to crash my way through the field :D

Again, might be nostalgia, but Motorstorm had a more crazy aspect to it that was fun, anyway this is a good game. But as I mentioned before its more offroad Driveclub than Motorstorm.

I wish somebody would do another StuntCar Racer, that was fun. :D

DSoup and iroboto like this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup meh

I'll be driving into Dirt 5 in an hour or so. SCR was amazing, I played this so much on either the C64 or Amiga - it was that long ago I can't remember. So good! :yes:

iroboto likes this.
  20. DSoup

DSoup meh

Oh yes!!! I played the first four Ignition races which are all off road and immediately felt the type of driving controls I love. You feel fully in control even sliding around corners in mud. This is definitely a game I need to invest some time in to learn the tracks. :yes:

Also, absolutely gorgeous game. YouTube compression murders the visuals. :yep2:

Silent_Buddha, JPT and BRiT like this.