DirectX Ray-Tracing [DXR]

well I feel silly. I should have specified less awesome hybrid demos! Lol or something that doesn’t require tensor power

You guys are a lot smarter than I, what you y’all make of this?
Well, I don't think the information of that short video is very truthful... There are lots of photorealistic approaches that work with rasterization, so that "low photorealism" is just not true. And then there's the "comparison" picture "rasterization vs ray-tracing"... Come on! So, in rasterization we can't simulate reflections, nor even materials and colors other than grey?!

I also have wet dreams with ray-tracing and I love any progress in this field, but this video is just wrong.

Very nice results! The lighting and surface shading is superb. Well done all involved!

Is the lack of detailed materials in the nVidia Pica Pica (Picachew) a technical limit for achieving realtime results, or an artistic one? I'm fearing the former as complex material shaders would need to be iterated over for each ray, increasing scene complexity exponentially.

Very nice results! The lighting and surface shading is superb. Well done all involved!

Is the lack of detailed materials in the nVidia Pica Pica (Picachew) a technical limit for achieving realtime results, or an artistic one? I'm fearing the former as complex material shaders would need to be iterated over for each ray, increasing scene complexity exponentially.
It would be harder see the effects clearly if they were using more complex materials.

Is the lack of detailed materials in the nVidia Pica Pica (Picachew) a technical limit for achieving realtime results, or an artistic one?
It's an artistic choice both to go for the "toy box" style look and to make the ray tracing more apparent. The material shaders themselves are actually quite complex, we're just not using high frequency texture detail in this demo. Different textures would of course not really affect the performance much.

I like that Remedy kept the quality at a reasonable setting and that you could really see the downsides of ray tracing with the crazy amount of noise generated. It's a good indication of what possible lighting and shadowing effects could be achieved with a hybrid approach but also what needs to be worked on for de-noise.

Not sure what the HW at the show is tbh and if I did I probably couldn't say. But i've run it on a laptop with an NV chip, so it doesn't need any newish stuff. Though obviously performance etc. will vary.
thanks for the info! It's been a long time ever since I heard of you. Nice to have you back. What kind of laptop and nVidia chip did you run it on? Would a i7-7700HQ, 1050Ti, 16 GB of RAM laptop suffice?

It's an artistic choice both to go for the "toy box" style look and to make the ray tracing more apparent. The material shaders themselves are actually quite complex, we're just not using high frequency texture detail in this demo. Different textures would of course not really affect the performance much.
Could higher frequency normals give the denoising pass a harder time? And does ray coherence affect performance?
Great demo by the way. Exciting work right there.

When they state that Volta has hardware specifically suited to the task of ray tracing, does this indicate a gaming use for tensor cores?

If so, are they likely to be used for ray tracing or just for de-noising the image?

Also, looking at repi's post: damn do Nvidia know how to make a really sexy looking piece of kit!

When they state that Volta has hardware specifically suited to the task of ray tracing, does this indicate a gaming use for tensor cores?

If so, are they likely to be used for ray tracing or just for de-noising the image?

Also, looking at repi's post: damn do Nvidia know how to make a really sexy looking piece of kit!
From what I read somewhere; yes it is the leveraging of the tensor cores for denoising. It’s not described in detail, but appears to be leveraging that portion of hardware. And if I read it correctly, there seems to be also custom hardware for supporting the way data is stored for faster ray tracing data retrieval.

The first seems very next generation like, and I suspect there to be a lot of performance improvements in that area as the technology emerges. The second seems to have a higher possibility of being supported on older hardware if there was enough foresight into the future as I don’t believe the memory is modified on Volta. So I’m not sure where this piece of customization would lay (lie/What is the proper word to use here? ), perhaps the memory controller or some large caches?

Last edited:
Back