DirectShow Semantics Troubles.

martinmsj

Newcomer
I am working on a project for school and have been having some issues with DirectShow and was wondering if anyone can offer some help. I added my filters to my filter graph and connected my pins and verified the HR results succeed but it’s just not working.

I am trying to put a filter together to use ATI X1800 AIW to show some input from the composite connection of the card. I verified that I have all the filters I needed through GraphEdit.

First, when you find the filter you need by enumerating by class, you get the filter and hold on to it correct? What I mean is that you don’t release it (before program termination.) Do I have to release it before I call RenderEX? How about the pins? Do I connect and release right after or do I hold instances of them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found some help online but it’s not helping making my program work. All that my program does is enumerate a specific class, find the filter I want, and then added to the filter graph. Then I enumerate the pins and connect the ones that need to be connected using GraphEdit as the guide. I’m also programming it as a win32 console application.

When you created your filter (or bind through enumeration), you need to add it into a filter graph to do anything useful. After adding it to the filter graph and connected to other filters, it's safe to release it if you don't need it anymore.

If you are not sure about the connection of your filter graph, you can set a rot which will allow you to use graph edit to see the graph built by your application.

Back