Digital photo frame

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I'm thinking about getting a digital photo frame. Anyone has one? Anything in particular to consider before choosing one, like any particular nice to have features. Any recommended models I should check out?

I'd been tempted by these a few years ago, but never got one due to all of them at the time requiring a monthly subscription to some service.

Are there any available now that don't require a subscription service?

Regards,
SB

I'd been tempted by these a few years ago, but never got one due to all of them at the time requiring a monthly subscription to some service.

Are there any available now that don't require a subscription service?

Regards,
SB

Are you sure you're posting in the right thread?:LOL:

^^ LOL, I thought the exact same thing. Subscription service for a photo frame?

Unless you're talking about those frames that allow you to use a wireless link to continually "stream" pictures from an online hosting site somewhere. I didn't know there were any of those that were subscription based though?

A really good friend and coworker of mine bought his mother (in the UK) a digital photo frame that can do a wireless connection to Flickr to pull down photos. He combined that with a "wireless" SD card in his wife's digicam, so that when the wife takes pictures of the baby (here in Kentucky) it uploads directly to their Flickr account. Shortly thereafter, his mom will start seeing the new pictures on her digital picture frame halfway across the planet.

He might have a "pay-for" flickr account, but even if he does, I'm very doubtful that it's linked to the picture frame itself.

Well, that's good to hear. The last time I looked was about 6-7 years ago, so I'm guessing things have drastically over the past few years. :D

Think I'll have to look into these again.

Regards,
SB

I bought my mom one a couple of years ago. $70 Westinghouse deal from Best Buy.

It crapped out after ~6 months :cry:

Formatting the image to the screen's native res sure helped with loading with the one we had (two years ago, can't remember the model..). :)

Well, I resorted to the method of sorting products by popularity on Prisjakt (swedish price comparison site) and looking at the most popular models in detail. No 2 on that list was Transcend PF810 which looked like the best buy for something reasonably cheap. It has more features than I'll ever need and 2GB built-in memory which should cover my needs for a while at 800x600, and in worst case there are memory card slots. I quickly learned that the touch sensitive panel on the thing sucked to the point of being nearly useless. The remote works fine though. It is also very sluggish to maneuver. As for quality, the panel shows some hints of banding and skin colors are a bit off, a slight but noticable green/yellow tint. Outdoor pictures look fine though. No amount of tweaking of the output settings made it look any better than the defaults. It'll mostly be viewed at a distance so it shouldn't be much of a problem I guess.

Nah, I don't think so. I have a photo hobby so I've got plenty of pics that it's nice to put to some use rather than just collecting dust on my harddrive.

One drawback of brick and mortar retailers slowly losing out to e-tailers for electronics such as this. It's more difficult to find a place you can go down to and test it out in person. At least in my area, there are no B&M stores that carry more than maybe 1 or 2 picture frames. And even then they usually don't allow you to put a picture on it to see how it performs.

Regards,
SB

cough...cough...

I've been looking into getting one as well, and most of the reviews are a few years old and most of them DID require subscription services to stream your photos from their webhost.

The Kodak web-enabled ones all still require a subscription fee, so the question wasn't exactly silly.

I'd like one that is wall-mountable, and streams wirelessly to a free (and private) internet photo service (like flickr, I guess). So I can be out taking pictures with my phone or wifi-enabled SD memory stick in a camera and have the photos either automatically upload to my webpage or I can email them to my webpage and have the picture frame automatically update as it pulls pics off my webpage.

So, for instance, when I go on a trip, I can send my pictures as they are being taken (or pretty close to it) to the digital picture frame - wherever that frame may be.

Other features like radio or Youtube or weather updates, etc.. I'm not interested in.

Bumpity Bump Bump

Nobody else here has experience with web-enabled digital picture frames??

I would think that would be a great #1 gift for techies to give to family, an automatically updating picture of whatever it is you're doing at the time.

I know my parents would have a shit if I gave them a digital picture frame that they could hang on their wall or put on their mantle and it would constantly update with pictures I took AS I TOOK them, so I can send them pictures of where I am, what I'm doing, what I'm eating, etc.. etc...

They'd freak out like it was the best thing ever. (I'm in Cali and they are in FLA, so we're a ways apart.)

I could just take random pictures of what I'm up to or what crazy shit my cats doing at the moment and it would just come across on their picture frame.. They'd love it.

Nobody on here has any experience or does any of that?? Really?

I don't know about web enabled or remote control or touch screens or any of that. It sounds like you could just as well use a PC or a HTPC if that's the way you're going to use it. Personally I just have a simple Philips 7FFIM4 and all it does it stand in the living room flashing random memories and it does it well. Been going for 2 years and IQ is still fine, bought my mum another one and it's so easy to use she's really happy with it.

Yeah, I see what you're saying but as soon as you start putting extra features in it (like make it a laptop) they use it for other things.

I just want a digital picture frame that they can hang on their wall that has pictures of me in it.

But I want those pictures of me to come from an internet source that I can constantly update from across the country.

Sure, I can send them pics to their phone or PC as it is now but that requires them having to log in, turn it on, etc.. etc... I want a picture frame that they always have turned on because its a picture, but the actual photos change as they cycle through my internet account and that internet account is updated whenever I send more pics to it.

They have a bunch of picture frames as it is. Most of them are of my sister and her kids, husband, wedding, etc... They have like one picture frame of me, back in high school from my football team photo.

I want to give them a picture frame that has all the photos we already have, plus can be updated daily or weekly or whatever.. whenever I upload a photo to my internet account that will automatically goto the frame.

They aren't that tech savy, I don't want to make them have to log in and update anything, I want the frame to do it automatically by pulling pics off my internet account. Flickr or photobook or facebook or whatever.

Know what I mean?

Back