Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Cyan, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Vertical strips of pixels as opposed to full textures applied over polys?

#561 Mobius1aic, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Back when developers would still attempt to really push the hardware and design with an eye towards hardware that was on the horizon. Almost non-existent nowadays where almost all developers (still the rare exception on PC) just develop to an existing hardware target.

I still very fondly remember that game. Got it at launch and almost played through it in one sitting...in the dark...

Regards,
    SB

pharma, Cyan and PSman1700 like this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

it's still fun nowadays -even with that fake HDR-, at 1440p - 4k and 165fps, gosh. The campaign got me hooked til I completed it.

On a different note, Mass Effect 3 is an odd beast. I've been playing ME 2 on EA Access (Origin, love it), or other games that I had back in the day like Dead Space 1-3, etc, and those games run at a perfect 165fps (1440p).

So does Mass Effect 3, but sometimes the game gets stuck at 80-90fps for a couple of seconds -everything maxed out-. Thing is..., it's not a CPU or GPU issue, 'cos both run the game very comfortably at low temps and low usage -no fans spinning at all-, and I wonder why that happens.

I use this trick to play all ME games at 165fps.

Pete likes this.
  4. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Pete and TheAlSpark like this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran