Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

Too bad it doesn't take into account how those games look on the CRT TVs they were developed for. For example, the dithering actually looks transparent:

https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.mx/2015/03/the-case-for-composite.html
as @tuna pointed out already, a lot of people used RGB on their consoles. My best childhood friend used composite on his Megadrive but on the SNES he used a RGB -the so called Euro connector, which looked very cool at the time- connector.

On a different note, there is a lot of talk about great videogames, but what about the grime of videogames, games so controversial because they were so bad. Those generate a lot of comment, are unbelievable at that, well, and the laughs of course. I wonder what a DF article would look with the filth of videogames.

For example this cover.... Metro Cross is a skateboarding game and this is TonyRetarded Hawk:

180466-metro-cross-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Also..

1548-1.jpg

edit: the previous link with the DF Retro video was moved to the proper thread talking about the PlayStation presentation back in 2005

Diablo creator says it would be extremely difficult to bring Diablo 2 to modern computers, and he tells why in this 2 minutes video:

Sounds more like an issue of whether or not to keep everything the same verbatim or opening up a can of worms on what to update.

Last edited:
well, I am into a retro group on Whatsapp and the other day one of the members completed Axelay for the SNES, a game that I wanted so much as a kid but never got to play except on emulation, but I wanted to play it when the game came out... :/ One of the most impressive parts of the game was a fire boss which was shown in the pics of every magazine at the time and one of the guys in the group shared this image which is still impressive for today's standards.

Whats_App_Image_2018-03-10_at_14.55.45.jpg

Bit confused. That's concept/marketing art.

axelay_2.jpg
Do you mean marketing of the time? Or a modern concept art? Well, it doesn't look the same but it isn't that far from it, quality wise. I've watched the other day a recent video of a mate in a group I am into and it looks exactly like your image. That being said, it's been a while since this game was released, do the years fly, as if....40s is the next step in the journey. Oh man, whatever, I will always play games, typical human. Whether it is card games like brisque or videogames, or more card games like Tute or chess, and so on and so forth

Do you mean marketing of the time?
I've no idea. It's just very obviously not a screenshot. A modern game that actually looked like that with fancy particle effects would be pretty cool! Widescreen changes the nature of vertical scrollers though.

I've no idea. It's just very obviously not a screenshot. A modern game that actually looked like that with fancy particle effects would be pretty cool! Widescreen changes the nature of vertical scrollers though.
well, the marketing at the time had that image EVERYWHERE in any videogames magazine you read and featured the game, but certainly it was enough to show the original screenshot, without doctoring it. I was impressed with this game, mainly because R-Type is my favourite shoot'em up ever and was 4Mb on the SNES while I had read then that Axelay was 8Mb, so double that, and when they show you screengrabs like that you think that the extra quality went to the graphics. The initial music of the game is also spectacular!

Do you mean that the widescreen gets rid of the need of moving the ship left and right? Thus there are no "hidden" bullets coming from the borders of the screen? You created one of those so you know what you are talking about..

In that sense I don't find that to be a flaw. What I find a flaw -or maybe a feature that increase the difficulty randomly- is the so called "dancer bullets". I mean erratic proyectiles.

The screen aspect determines how much lateral movement and concern you have. R-Type had a relatively narrow up/down space to move and the updated widescreen versions play the same. Top down's like 1942 used the TVs in portrait to give the same narrowness in a vertical scroller. A top-down like 1942 on a widescreen is going to have twice as far from left to right to move, and/or far less look-ahead in the vertical. Sky Force Anniversary is widescreen but keeps the same vertical, giving a lot more space on the sides to manoeuvre.

26619238386_20ac1e0f8d_b.jpg

I suppose my original 'change the nature' is too strong language. They play fundamentally the same, but the experience and balance could be quite different with the different play field.

The screen aspect determines how much lateral movement and concern you have. R-Type had a relatively narrow up/down space to move and the updated widescreen versions play the same. Top down's like 1942 used the TVs in portrait to give the same narrowness in a vertical scroller. A top-down like 1942 on a widescreen is going to have twice as far from left to right to move, and/or far less look-ahead in the vertical. Sky Force Anniversary is widescreen but keeps the same vertical, giving a lot more space on the sides to manoeuvre.

26619238386_20ac1e0f8d_b.jpg

I suppose my original 'change the nature' is too strong language. They play fundamentally the same, but the experience and balance could be quite different with the different play field.
after reading your post..it kinda explains what I wondered about some ports, I mean...Ikaruga port from the Dreamcast for instance is totally vertical. Or Mushihimesama is totally vertical. I thoroughly enjoyed both games on the X360.

Some of the people I know who plays a lot of retro and modern versions of shoot em' ups define the likes of Sky Force Anniversary...as vertizontal shoot em' up games.

On a different note, I like this video very much:

I'm about to begin working on a Panzer Dragon 1 and 2 episode (Saga and Orta will follow at a later date, of course).

I've always appreciated the use of VDP2's infinite scroll planes in those games to create vast environments but I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with how VDP2 was manipulated to pull off the water effect seen in these games (and Grandia). I haven't been able to dig up a clear explanation of how that works. It's really a nifty feature.
Looking forward to it! Since you mention Panzer Dragon Saga, I was really surprised to find out yesterday's night that Panzer Dragon Saga for the Saturn is placed number 19th in the best 100 games ever made list at Gamefaqs.

Gamefaqs list isn't made by the editors but the rankings are taken from the votes of users. I hoped to see Skyrim at number 1 though, but anyways...

A brand new first-person shooter build on Duke Nukem 3D Build engine? Welcome to Ion Maiden! DF Retro talks with 3D Realms about the new game.

very curious that the software renderer mode performs so well compares favourably to GPU rendering at the moment being and that the game, were it prone to being hardware bound, is more prone to be CPU bound rather than GPU bound -not the most common things these days, save a few games, and AI, which is one of my weaknesses in games ,that fascinate me a lot-.

Oh my..., when they mention the use of tracker music instead of using General MIDI (which I am a fan of, especially playing those games with my Sound Blaster AWE 32 and its 1MG General MIDI soundfont back in the day) that made my day, because I had tons of MOD music which were included with the CD-Roms of demos and stuff you could get in PC Magazines at the time. There were a lot of great ST3 and MOD songs, and some had a little text, like MIDI, and people then used to put their entire name and home address in them --nowadays it is just counterproductive, I think, and for good reasons.

A brand new first-person shooter build on Duke Nukem 3D Build engine? Welcome to Ion Maiden! DF Retro talks with 3D Realms about the new game.

they also mention Terminal Velocity in the video! There was something cool about those lasers coming out of your ship and the 3D graphics, even the fog, it was so addictive. Like playing SNES Starfox but better. Another game I enjoyed was Descent, but I preferred Terminal Velocity for some reason. Descent was so good because of the 3D graphics too, but for me what I enjoyed the most compared to Terminal Velocity is that it had some very good MIDI tunes to show off my AWE 32 soundcard. Overall I preferred both Terminal Velocity.

such good old times. talking about MIDI, i loved at the time the yamah SY-XG50 player.
There is a soft-synth for that and it works wonders with Midi Player -the best MIDI program I've ever tried along with VanBasco, just that MIDI Player is more complete-. This is how the Yamaha SY-XG50. Amazing. I can attest to that because I use it sometimes, some songs sound like professional music. Just imagine Doom music made for it... My Awe 32 was okay playing Doom's midi but while impressive at the time compared to just FM Synthesis, it lacked punch and sounded a bit empty. This is a different beast though, and most impressive of all is that it only uses 4MB of memory. Best bang for the buck.

https://rants.vastheman.com/2018/03/20/qfactor/ talking of which, this is a good article on QSound. I am currently playing the original PC version of Street Fighter Alpha 2, one of my favourite fighting games to date, from GoG and it uses Qsound. The sound is still very good nowadays, especially how well it pans from one side to the other and its overall quality.

Some of my colleagues who play some retro and not so retro games, use an application called Parsec, to which I dedicated a whole thread today. https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...-no-desync-less-latency-than-native-mp.60681/

https://parsecgaming.com/

But to sum it up it is an application lets you play ANY game in multiplayer game whether it has multiplayer or not, with less latency than typical multiplayer and no desyncs (say if your friend's devices has a power cut or their connection is lost, they aren't thrown, their controller -gamepad, mouse, keyboard or a combination of them- is kept active, you just pause the game and wait for your friend to recover their connection.

To achieve this it uses a feature present in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (only requirement is that the host must have one of those operating systems)...that feature that lets you preview in your taskbar what a program is doing in the background when you hover your mouse over it.

It has many advantages:

- No desyncs, less latency than traditional multiplayer.

- Your friend/s don't need to have the game installed on their computer. They can just play on your machine using a iOS, Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Android, or MacOS, etc.

- They can play your MAME games, PC games, console emulator games, with you. Whichever game you want them to play with you. Windowed, Borderless or Full-Screen, whatever they choose.

- They don't have to configure anything on their end save to install the program. So they don't need to be MAME experts or GoG/Steam experts, nor use an emulator in their computer.

- You let them remotely use a gamepad of theirs in your machine (Windows installs your friend's Gamepad driver when you connect to them using the program, so it's treated as a local device in the host's machine), or a mouse or keyboard.

You choose which devices you want your friend to use on your PC.

They use it here for instance, in the Final Fight LNS 2.0 game, which they modded with Openbor. Action starts around the 32 minutes in mark. But it is obvious that they are playing with 0 lag --good taking into account one of the players lives in the USA, the other players live in Europe.

They show how it works in this video, starting at the 57 mins mark (you don't need to understand what they say, but well, there are subtitles):

Anyways, that's what the creators of the program say in their website, and it actually works:

Our software streams games at a consistent ultra-low latency 60fps when you connect to your own gaming PC or one in the cloud. Parsec works over the internet or in-home without any extra setup.

I wodner why we never saw a home conversion of Cadilacs and the Dinosaurs.
That game was superb on the arcades

Back