Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

I played Exhumed on the Saturn and a fair bit of death tank, although we preferred zwei.

I never knew it supported the 3d pad, it never crossed my mind to stick try, I probably should read manuals more often.

One other Easter egg that I remember seeing was a photo of what I assume was a developer

Last edited:
I never knew it supported the 3d pad, it never crossed my mind to stick try, I probably should read manuals more often.
IIRC there is a cheat code where you can enable Turok style controls, where you move with YZBC, A and X would jump or change weapons (can't remember), R was shoot, and you would look and turn with the analog. I can't remember the exact setup but it was something like that.

Brilliant DF Retro!

Yep, had it back in the day. Still have a couple of Lobotomy games. And Deathtank Zwei is, indeed, the greatest party game ever!
Which version of Deathtank Zwei did you play? The original or the XBL version?
Except he totally ignored currently available emulation methods.
What do you mean? Just curious... I mean, if you could elaborate on that, as @AlNets pointed out..
I played Exhumed on the Saturn and a fair bit of death tank, although we preferred zwei.

One other Easter egg that I remember seeing was a photo of what I assume was a developer

Reading the comments of the video it triggers during his birthdate. In addition, I thought Deathtank Zwei was an independent game, but it was craftily and cleverly included in the game. What I remember is the X360 version.

Ezra! So much talent. Shame he apparently disappeared under a world of corporate shuffling.
,yeah, the enormity of some companies that can't see.. It happens at times, alas

Last edited:
Reading the comments of the video it triggers during his birthdate. In addition, I thought Deathtank Zwei was an independent game, but it was craftily and cleverly included in the game. What I remember is the X360 version.

The good old realtime clock in the Saturn. Also has a working clock shown in Nights if I recall.

Zwei was included in Duke Nukem 3D if you had other saves, we had all three, Exhumed, Duke Nukem and Quake.

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/death-tank-zwei/

Perhaps John will save that for another episode.

The good old realtime clock in the Saturn. Also has a working clock shown in Nights if I recall.

Zwei was included in Duke Nukem 3D if you had other saves, we had all three, Exhumed, Duke Nukem and Quake.

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/death-tank-zwei/

Perhaps John will save that for another episode.
Now that you mention it, I wonder... Was the Saturn affected by the Y2K problem, the so called Millennium bug, or Y2K bug? Because I don't think a working Saturn has the correct hour or wasn't programmed with that in mind.

Shall check the retrogamer article later, gotta go!

I own 4 saturns, both the OG oval button one and the circle ones, with a couple different motherboard revisions. I haven't had any problems with date and time and setting dates past 2000.

Given this has become a mini Saturn discussion I have a question that has been burning at the back of my brain forever.

Is anyone a die hard Decathlete or athlete kings fan? Or does anyone have experience with emulators debugging and reverse engineering.

I ask as a friend and I played a whole lot of athlete kings and it got mega competitive, anyhow one day we performed a huge javelin throw never to be repeated, nor explained and that bugs me.

Basically the instructions for the event.

Smash run buttons for speed, near the line hold throw and release at optimal elevation. Simple.

There is however a random rainbow colour bar above the speed/power meter. On this super throw which annoyingly was with the weakest small character so never beat our record started as normal but I am convinced when she threw some of the rainbow bar depleated and possibly some shadow motion similar to the discuss happened and it was a huge throw for the character.

I have never seen this mentioned, shown or even the rainbow bar discussed but I want to prove or disprove my memory as it is increasingly annoying me.

Now that you mention it, I wonder... Was the Saturn affected by the Y2K problem, the so called Millennium bug, or Y2K bug? Because I don't think a working Saturn has the correct hour or wasn't programmed with that in mind.

The Saturn has an internal battery. If thats depleted it cant keep the date on or the game saves. Its easy to replace.

The Millrnium bug, as far as I understand, came from systems that were still draging 70's era desing heritages in their code that would encode years with just two digits assuming the first two were "19" because that little bit of memmory saving meant enough for it to matter back then.
The saturn wasnt reusing code or trying to be compatible with many decade old databases, so I guess it just did its thing and encoded year with 4 digits like a normal person.
Lets just see what happens 7982 years from now though....

The Millrnium bug, as far as I understand, came from systems that were still draging 70's era desing heritages in their code that would encode years with just two digits assuming the first two were "19" because that little bit of memmory saving meant enough for it to matter back then.
The saturn wasnt reusing code or trying to be compatible with many decade old databases, so I guess it just did its thing and encoded year with 4 digits like a normal person.

Will it be that for for 90s code? Did they do a pure date or some sort of ticks from an epoch, if so what does a 32bit value get you to, is it that far out or something far closer?.

A quick google says it could be

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

:mrgreen::mrgreen: One good forewit is worth two afterwits. You are one of mine, man. I can see it 7982 years from now. The gems of my gaming collection and the jewels in the safe. Listening to the sound come through the window, in my bath with a glass of something and an old copy of PC Magazine left over from Spring 2011, when life was normal.... Why the year 10000 btw?

What I wonder though, is how accurate is the Saturn's internal clock. Not only that, but the calendar. Would be 09/02/2018 a friday on the Saturn... that's the question.

I think I still have it! Used to have 7 controllers, now down to 6. Real shortage is of lounge co-op friends these days. :(
Yes, that's it. I just play alone these days til I have kids or whatever. Last time I played coop was in Monopoly with my GF. Sometimes I play Call of Juarez with a brother of mine, if you define "playing" as watching. It's not easy to have a party of lounge FIFA Soccer for the Megadrive like the kids of the day did, at my best friend's house. Super fun game at the time, although not actually meant for parties.

Will it be that for for 90s code? Did they do a pure date or some sort of ticks from an epoch, if so what does a 32bit value get you to, is it that far out or something far closer?.

A quick google says it could be

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

From my memory, I think some systems might be 2031 because of their starting point of epoc is earlier. However those systems might all be retired by now already.

I can see it 7982 years from now. The gems of my gaming collection and the jewels in the safe. Listening to the sound come through the window, in my bath with a glass of something and an old copy of PC Magazine left over from Spring 2011, when life was normal.... Why the year 10000 btw?

That feels like the right time to release Dreamcast 2, honestly.

New article on the Super NT, an almost pixel perfect, accuracy wise, console, which emulates the original Super NES. Only Higan comes close to that level of emulation quality. It's quite surprising to see that even sound can be very hard to emulate correctly. Some of the inaccurate glitches caused by an imperfect emulation have to be pretty tough to spot, now they are well documented. For instance..., the shadow of the plane in Airstrike Patrol, or the switch you must press in Speedy Gonzales which John had to patiently play til that particular 6-1 level, or the small pixel issue in Mega Lo Mania (finding and looking for that is megalomaniac indeed! :mrgreen::mrgreen:), etc.

All in all, two things. This confirms SNES Mini is extremely inaccurate. :neutral: And John's words and his T-shirt point out at a Turrican article. I've never played Turrican 2, but the graphics are superb for a Super NES.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-super-nt-review

That feels like the right time to release Dreamcast 2, honestly.
He he he he.....then that means that either the world won't change much or it will become like "What it could once be, now it is".

Linus Tech Tips also regards the Super Nt highly, so for those who think the quality can be considered worthwhile or desirable...it's certainly better than the SNES Mini.

Back