Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

Yes this is something I ve observed in various XBOX games. It was like some form of low quality anisotropic filtering.

Is it that or something else? Why would developers opt for this as it seems reducing texture quality in distance.

It's trilinear filtering and it's a technological advance over unfiltered. To make trilinear less blurry, anisotropic filtering is needed, but that comes at a cost and hasn't been prevalent on consoles for as long as consoles have been around - we've only recently got AF consistently in games and have had to put up with blurry floors for ages.

But it's better than the alternative. Here's why...
That's not as bad an experience as the original on PS2 as YT compression softens the shimmer. The original was the same as watching green static on your TV. This was actually an issue with how PS2 calculated mips (rubbishly).

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/why-the-bad-ps2-filtering.6748/

Finally some explanation to this mystery! Like the PS2's sharpness but the xbox does it better in the end, blurry floors being the disadvantage.

Some examples taken with a phone but you get the idea. Its like this in many games, if not all. Closing in on the floor on xbox, the floor is 'sharpened'.

PS2

Xbox
The first screengrab is from the Xbox version, the second one is from the PS2 version and the 3rd is from the PS2, too? I am confused.

For anyone interested, this is a retrogaming channel that I love (in english) from an amazing girl whose british sense of humour can either be great or appaling, lol.

The first screengrab is from the Xbox version, the second one is from the PS2 version and the 3rd is from the PS2, too? I am confused.

Dont know what happened there, the first two are the correct ones, 1st is PS2 with the 'sharp floor', the 2nd one is the og xbox with the blurry floor. Il edit out the last screen.
Btw, which version is running the correct aspect ratio?

Dont know what happened there, the first two are the correct ones, 1st is PS2 with the 'sharp floor', the 2nd one is the og xbox with the blurry floor. Il edit out the last screen.
Btw, which version is running the correct aspect ratio?
that's a tough question, most PS2 games ran at native 4:3 resolutions, although it also supports alternative display modes, the correct ratio "should" be 4:3. Is Future Perfect 16:9 native?

Operation Wolf, the C chip finally fully emulated on MAME.

The C chip wasnt properly emulated all this time?
it wasn't. There was a working version of Operation Wolf arcade on MAME, but they disabled some operations to make it work. Now the game is fully emulated.

However, the game is more difficult now. A friend who has beaten more than 1000 arcades with a single credit each, is preparing a bis of his Operation Wolf video he had uploaded already, because when he originally beat the game the C chip wasn't emulated.

There is more info here about how it works. It seems like the game runs in 32 threads.

http://www.bryanmcphail.com/wp/?p=794

http://www.bryanmcphail.com/wp/?p=1898 (an explanation on how they achieved C chip emulation)

Some 13 years after I first simulated the security c-chip in Operation Wolf, an upcoming version of MAME will finally have this chip emulated via the original microcontroller program. The Caps0ff team were able to get the raw data by milling the chip and then using acid to expose the eprom die. The data was then read out using a special adaptor – a work of art! Thanks to Haze also for his work on the microcontroller emulation for the c-chip games.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry has published a video showing the presentation of the Xbox 360. Watching the presentation brings great memories of what Xbox meant, I think that the Xbox peak has been reached so far.

The girl carrying the X360 in a bag -that's imho a very simple but also very original, iconic moment, different from your typical presentation in a glass cabinet-.

The presentation also shows PGR3 -as a launch date game one of the most delightful I've played, not as thoroughly refined as PGR2 and its almost perfect timing to get challenge medals for obvius reasons (launch date deadline)-.

In addition, while I am not a callofdutier, the presentation features Call of Duty 2, which is among the best CoD games I've played. Both the sp campaign and the online were excellent.

Not to mention Oblivion, for me one of the best games ever.

Or the first Gears, totally jawdropping stuff at the time, and it didnt dissapoint when it was launched the next year....

2005 and 2006 are really nostalgic years.

My first real forays into PC gaming happened starting in summer 2005 after graduating high school. I still remember walking into the mall's Gamestop (which used to be an EB Games) and trying out the just installed 360 kiosk, which had CoD2 and Kameo as the only playable demos available. Demoing the 360 in kiosks a month ahead of the console's launch with CoD2 was quite an eye opening experience running a smooth 60 FPS. My then laptop could not even start the CoD2 PC demo up in the first place (it barely ran the original CoD, whoo Intel Extreme Graphics 2). The 60 FPS precedent was something to marvel at when just about every shooter targeted 30, same with non-FPS games.

Later in May 2006 I started my first job at Gamestop. There was such a great air of excitement over the first real crop of built-for-360 games like Dead Rising, Just Cause, Prey, Oblivion, Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas, etc. What a great year, and MS had the nextgen console exclusive rights to alot of these games.

The PC vs console debate at the time really was heated, and always a fun discussion since I remained a staunch PC supporter, despite being a 360 and PS2 gamer.

Last edited:
indeed, the 360 launch was something special, from the highs of the great hardware (well in terms of specs and performance), solid launch titles to the lows of supply issues and horrible reliability (the worst I can remember from any console), still fascinating to look back at how advanced the Live stuff was, and how they were mostly too conservative with the demos (perhaps they were mostly made with 256MB in mind? or due to the x800 limitations?)

Can't this thread be renamed as just Retro gaming (which will, of course, feature DF Retro videos)? Sometimes I would like to post things about retro stuff but it's not related to DF.

For instance, right now I'm playing the first Dragon Quest (NES) after beating Final Fantasy III (NES too). This game is different, because it uses an action menu (ugh) for basic actions such as opening a door, but I understand that both this one and the next instalment were the base for future games such as FF, so I want to finish the first two titles to see how it evolved after the first FF launched.

Personally I was very underwhelmed by the first wave of 360 games and was zero excited with most of it's launch line up. The 360 looked like a beefed up XBOX to me. It's the games that came a year later that begun defining the console. Games like Gears and Bioshock. Now these were really special
I was barely giving attention to the console at launch. The absence of competition for a year (almost a year and a half in EU) really helped the XBOX gain momentum.

Can't this thread be renamed as just Retro gaming (which will, of course, feature DF Retro videos)? Sometimes I would like to post things about retro stuff but it's not related to DF.

For instance, right now I'm playing the first Dragon Quest (NES) after beating Final Fantasy III (NES too). This game is different, because it uses an action menu (ugh) for basic actions such as opening a door, but I understand that both this one and the next instalment were the base for future games such as FF, so I want to finish the first two titles to see how it evolved after the first FF launched.
If not talking about their technology, that discussion doesn't belong in the console tech forum. If you want to talk about the game, post in the console games thread. Feel free to make a Retro Games thread.

If not talking about their technology, that discussion doesn't belong in the console tech forum. If you want to talk about the game, post in the console games thread. Feel free to make a Retro Games thread.
Yes, I know, but as you can see most messages here aren't just about retro console technology and its related DF analysis, so I guess that, yes, I will have to post a new thread.

One of the first things I'll do will be invite @Cyan . :D

That would be fun, but there would be a lot to cover and I'm not really sure john is well versed enough (or interested?) to give it a good treatment. Maybe he could have a guest on for it.

Back