Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Cyan, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Oh well, there isn't a new Digital Foundry Retro article yet this year, but there will be some soon. However, just to get started, and continuing with a previous discussion on a DF Retro article featuring Sonic, the guys behind the Sonic 2 HD project have updated the game and listened to feedback, improving the art, physics and other elements of the game. Plus they added a new stage, Aquatic Ruin Zone HD!

http://sonic2hd.com/

[​IMG]

#1 Cyan, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    eloyc and AlBran like this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Bob Wakelin a cover artist who created the cover of some mythic games, has passed away.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-22-legendary-cover-artist-bob-wakelin-passes-away

I didn't know who made the Operation Wolf cover, but in my first computer ever, back in early 1996 a friend of mine brought me a floppy disk with the wonderful Operation Wolf. So addictive! The diskette had a virus though, the virus Galicia (a local virus from where I was born), which did something to the hard drive's MBR and copied itself into diskettes at startup, but fortunately it wasn't very dangerous, although I forgot to remove the Operation Wolf diskette several times and that's how it infected computers, but it was so tough to remember to remove the floppy disk from the computer once you turned it off.

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

4. bunge

Regular Newcomer

I had a demo disc for Resident Evil 2 and it had a bunch of stuff that wasn’t in the final game. It was great. I hope to see it all revived in Resident Evil 1.5.

Nesh likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Wow like what was in the demo?
    I had one as well from the UK Official Playstation Magazine but I cant recall anything absent from the final game.
    Some time ago there were some people who managed to get access to the 1.5 code and they were trying to reproduce it and finish it

I have no idea about thr progress now, and I really want to try it
    https://kotaku.com/raising-the-dead-how-fans-are-trying-to-save-resident-1691235703

#5 Nesh, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. bunge

Regular Newcomer

You were running around outside the police station but what stuck out most (aka I still clearly remember) was a scene with a pile of zombies reaching out at your feet from under a gate. Every time you had to go past you were 110% certain the gate was going to fly open and ~10 zombies were going to spill out onto the street. It was petrifying at the time and never made the final game.

EDIT: @Nesh I think this was it:

#6 bunge, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Cyan and Nesh like this.
  7. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Hmm...I think the Demo misses the cut scenes and the black guy in the police station has been replaced with a normal zombie. Everything else I think is the same?
    I think the demo mostly misses stuff than has extra.

8. bunge

Regular Newcomer

That must not be the one. I went down the rabbit hole looking for video but no success yet. I just remember the zombies trying to crawl under a rolling shutter like you would see on a storefront.

YouTube here I come!

9. JLinneman

I'm working away in the background on more episode of DF Retro so thanks for the early topic! I hadn't caught the latest update on S2HD yet either so that looks excellent.

I have some larger scale episodes in the works but also a few smaller scale ones. Hopefully, once the ball gets rolling, it'll be back on a regular schedule.

chris1515, milk, eloyc and 5 others like this.
  10. Theeoo

Newcomer

That was the 40% complete version. There is a reputed 80% complete version out there.

Cyan and Nesh like this.
  11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

wowwwwwwww, so glad to have you here John. It's our pleasure. That's why I love Beyond3D

eloyc likes this.
  12. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Do you know if there is public access?

13. Theeoo

Newcomer

No, I believe some enthusiasts were trying to broker a deal around 2008 to buy the 80% complete version for several thousand dollars but that fell through for some reason. That may or may not be made up though.

14. Theeoo

Newcomer

...or in other words, take all internet rumours with a pinch of salt.

15. milk

Veteran Regular

Hoa there, welcome to B3D.

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

SNES Mini passes 4 million sale. Quite surprising if you ask me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-01-snes-mini-sales-pass-4m

I thought it would sell squat! Not because the SNES wasn't one of the best consoles ever, if not the best for many, even games technologically "worse" than their Megadrive counterparts, like Aladdin (8Mb SNES version vs 16Mb Megadrive version) turned out to be better on the SNES, despite having less frames of animation and the lack of shiny-shiny stuff the Megadrive version had, which was so hyped at the time and I wanted a Megadrive to play that game but had no money... Thought emulators would make it a bit anachronistic, but I was wrong.

17. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

First DF Retro article of the year 2018. John, thanks heaps! The article and the video focus on Powerslave (called Exhumed in Europe). Alas, I missed this game. How could I? Doom was one of my first games, and then Quake, and loved both of them to death, I created maps, completed Quake several times and played against the Reaper AI in local multiplayer... Played and bought the likes of Hexen, Heretic.., Hexen 2.. But this one, I missed.

Quite curious to know that Richard Leadbetter (the DF boss) made a great coverage of the game at the time (dunno if also the game was in the magazine's cover, if I understood the words in the article correctly).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...med-the-brilliant-legacy-of-lobotomy-software

Did anyone here played this game at the time?

BRiT likes this.
  18. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Brilliant DF Retro!

Yep, had it back in the day. Still have a couple of Lobotomy games. And Deathtank Zwei is, indeed, the greatest party game ever!

Cyan and Sonic like this.
  19. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

i had played a demo on PS1 but did not like it much
    i prefered disruptor and quake 2

Cyan likes this.
  20. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Except he totally ignored currently available emulation methods.