Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by helio, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stranno

Newcomer

I dont know if this belongs here. I'm gessing wich was the first on-screen water effect ever.

I know it was used on Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kill·Switch, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, the XBOX version of Grand Theft Auto III. Any previous games?

2. TheWretched

Regular

3. stranno

Newcomer

Amazing, didnt know that. never had 3DFX hardware back in the days.

Thanks.

4. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

There's more. In fact Digital Foundry forgot to tell us that X1 versions had less details (trees) on the background and just mentionned the fact that pop-in details were different or random on the 2 versions. Well different as some trees never pop in the X1 versions on the mountains.

Also they did say that there was an exceptionnal drop in framerate to 25fps which is about right for PS4 (24fps). But ignored the fact that X1 version drops to 22fps and that when drops occured (they are indeed exceptionnal, the game is technically 99.9% 30fps locked on both), it lasted longer on X1. When was the last time DF ignored a 20fps-ish drop of framerate on a face-off?

You know, just "hit and miss" on some details in order to declare a technical draw between the 2 versions. In fact I do consider those 2 versions almost identical and it is a draw. But I would have prefered that DF didn't not invent a lack of SSAO (and miss the more refined HBAO) on PS4 and miss 2 important details on X1 in order to declare a perfect draw.

5. hesido

Regular

To be fair they do say:
    in one of the screenshot comparisons.

Other than that, it's a draw for me as well and I find it weird that they couldn't notice the AO (while admitting it is subtle, their "job" is to notice those subtleties.)

I wish the game had a 60fps 720p with some form AA option!

6. SlimJim

Banned

Maybe there will be a patch like with the COD singleplayer, or the AC4 game: but instead of doubling the resolution, they can double the framerate?

Digital Foundry should really do a power output (wattage) comparison of both AC4 and COD:Ghost unpatched, and patched on singleplayer. They can compare the power output: maybe then we can learn if there was any optimisation (no difference) or unused power (a big difference).

I am guessing it's the later one for AC4. You don't optimise your rendering engine a 100% in the last week of programming before going gold, right?

7. Gitaroo

Veteran

DF need to do a SSHD vs SSD vs 7200 rpm drive comparison for PS4.

8. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Apparently the reason that the PS4 version of CoD Ghosts has 'performance issues', is because it runs at higher than 60fps fairly often, not because the framerate dips:

Surprised that it runs at 2.25x the pixels of the X1 version and it actually runs at higher than 60fps a lot of the time... I was not expecting the differences to be this big.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...xed-and-whats-not-in-the-cod-ghosts-ps4-patch

Visual differences before (720p) and after patch (1080p) are also pretty significant, both in screens and in motion.

#1548 djskribbles, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  9. babybumb

Regular

There was a patch last night. I dont know if this is before or after..

10. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

That is crazy! Why not cap the fps to 60??

11. DrJay24

Veteran

They spent to little time on the Ps4 version, it was running 60fps 1080P with no effort, why test it or send it to QA? All their devs were trying to figure out eSRAM. :wink:

12. JB9861

Regular

13. Gitaroo

Veteran

probably goes into large scale printing months ahead.

14. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Developers aren't used to having excess power on consoles? And of course, the whole 720p thing in the first place was apparently a simple last-minute tickbox mistake for generating the print master.

15. patsu

Legend

Well that was weird. They really didn't have time to polish the PS4 version *at all* ? Why the blur in the lower res unpatched version ? Just upscaling ?

16. Inuhanyou

Veteran Regular

^ An overly aggressive FXAA solution, same as BF4. At higher resolutions, its apparently more noticeable in comparison to the PC version.

BTW, that's still there in the 1080p version, which is why the PS4 version still looks slightly more blurry than the PC version even while running at the same resolution. Or so DF says. Of course its a world away from the XB1 version and on another planet compared to current gen

17. Desert

Newcomer

Is it really that big the difference between them and not just launch games when it comes to Xboxone?

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

You've slightly misread. It ran over 60 fps at 720p which caused the issues. These are reduced with the patch to 1080p -

19. babybumb

Regular

It shouldnt be that hard to put max fps..

20. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It shouldn't be that hard to put "Framebuffer res == 1080p" but they still messed that one up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.