Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's hard to use that game as a fair comparison as it uses a fixed resolution of 1080p on PS5. I wonder why they didn't use DRS on UE4? Maybe to make development easier?

And by the way I still think FSR2 is not good enough IQ wise. I'd say TAAU combined with DRS has better IQ. For instance it's really great in Kena.
I thought about this and I think it is because the game's Main limitation in frame-rate at Moments is compute usage (all the particle effects and Simulations). Those do not scale at all with resolution so resolution would have to get proportionally much lower to compensate than in a game that uses less compute for total frame-time.

To keep IQ higher and consistent, they went without DRS i think.

A similar example is found with Sebbis claybook on Switch, where they purposefully Made mention that DRS was barely helping their performance because they were compute bound due to the game's particle Simulation. In that Case, they reduced the particle Simulation complexity though

GOTY awards mean nothing to me as I never agree with them.

But are you saying gamers don't expect a stable game that offers at least a stable 30fps?
I'm stating that a plurality of the gaming press and gamers themselves aren't bothered by having an inconsistent frame rate that is sometimes less than 30 fps, yes. Skyrim won game of the year back on PS3 and 360 at a bunch of publications as well, and that wasn't exactly the poster child for frame rate. There are plenty more examples of games being highly rated or recommended despite performance issues.

I don't take GOTY awards as gospel, either. But it at least means that the publication in questions recommends the game as THE game to play for the year in question. And when you see a large number of publications choose the same game, that has to count for something. Elden Ring... Not sure it's a game for me, and that's OK. But it does show how little others weigh performance when declaring that a game was best of the year.

Last edited:
Please remember this is a Technical Discussion, not an Industry Discussion. In the Technical Analysis of games, if gamers continue to buy games that are reported as having lousy framerates, that's on them. If the media should do more to highlight problems and discourage consumers, or if consumers need to change their ways, is not a topic for this thread. I would clean up to instantiate a new thread but there's pages of this stuff and I haven't time to untangle it all!

I am quite surprised he missed the resolution difference displayed on all ground textures from 7:29 between PS5 and XSX. I could immediately notice the difference on a compressed 720p youtube video! Like the shadows those textures are quite sharper on PS5.

PS5 is on the left:
mA9D1PC.png

R21iBWu.png

How are you sure the differences aren't caused entirely from YouTube 720p compression?

Very encouraging that the shader stutter was fixed in such short order on PC at least, and not without any pre-compilation to boot (or it's so quick it's not noticeable). The 30fps cutscenes suck, but otherwise reports are that it's scales exceptionally well - a 3060 should be able to run this 4k/60 with FSR Quality no issue. Another successful Unreal4 port, is the tide...turning?

Very encouraging that the shader stutter was fixed in such short order on PC at least, and not without any pre-compilation to boot (or it's so quick it's not noticeable). The 30fps cutscenes suck, but otherwise reports are that it's scales exceptionally well - a 3060 should be able to run this 4k/60 with FSR Quality no issue. Another successful Unreal4 port, is the tide...turning?
No. It released in a completely terrible unacceptable state with the stuttering. I tried the demo and it was horrible. How the games are releasing like this at all quite honestly shows complete incompetence. I don't care who anyone wants to place the blame on.. but when a game releases like that.. and then is IMMEDIATELY patched after and "fixed"... then it simply shows that the publishers don't give a god damn and only will do the bare minimum if any issue is made about it.

I honestly can't believe what's going on in the PC space right now. I'm looking at twitter and people are rightfully calling this stuff out. Like I literally just saw this tweet:

And there's tons like them now... I see them all over my timeline. People are literally waking up to this stuff FINALLY.

It's amazing how quickly this stuff can be fixed when issues go viral or mainstream to where it makes them look incompetent. Game releases broken, outrage happens, then the following week you see the damn game fixed... It's getting very annoying. It shows to me that main issue isn't that it's some insurmountable technical hurdle... it's getting them to do the bare minimum in the first place.

No. It released in a completely terrible unacceptable state with the stuttering. I tried the demo and it was horrible. How the games are releasing like this at all quite honestly shows complete incompetence. I don't care who anyone wants to place the blame on.. but when a game releases like that.. and then is IMMEDIATELY patched after and "fixed"... then it simply shows that the publishers don't give a god damn and only will do the bare minimum if any issue is made about it.

I honestly can't believe what's going on in the PC space right now. I'm looking at twitter and people are rightfully calling this stuff out. Like I literally just saw this tweet:

And there's tons like them now... I see them all over my timeline. People are literally waking up to this stuff FINALLY.

It's amazing how quickly this stuff can be fixed when issues go viral or mainstream to where it makes them look incompetent. Game releases broken, outrage happens, then the following week you see the damn game fixed... It's getting very annoying. It shows to me that main issue isn't that it's some insurmountable technical hurdle... it's getting them to do the bare minimum in the first place.
Its just how games are made these days. It's not like console is spared from technical issues that need patching. Even if PC comes with its own challenges.

Ive learned that not buying games that are broken is best solution

I am quite surprised he missed the resolution difference displayed on all ground textures from 7:29 between PS5 and XSX. I could immediately notice the difference on a compressed 720p youtube video! Like the shadows those textures are quite sharper on PS5.

PS5 is on the left:
mA9D1PC.png

R21iBWu.png
I’m not sure if sharper is the intended rendering. It’s definitely filtered differently, but sharper shadow textures aren’t exactly as processing intensive as properly blurry ones.

How about this? I don't care why they do. They do.
I don't really get it. You say you don't care about why the situation is happening but are all too happy to at the same time say what you think the problem is (developers being lazy)

It's not a consistent argument or even idea

I don't really get it. You say you don't care about why the situation is happening but are all too happy to at the same time say what you think the problem is (developers being lazy)

It's not a consistent argument or even idea
I don't care about why it's happening... when I'm being scolded like as if I'm the problem here.

Let me ask you, how else do you explain it when games are fixed a mere WEEK or less after release?

Something is wrong here... am I not supposed to blame the people that make and release the game? Did someone forget to flip a switch again? Uploaded a wrong file? Oops, right?

How do things get fixed so quickly? Was someone not paying attention? Clearly QA is an issue here.. and quality is not being taken seriously. I don't understand how you could even argue against that point from where we are right now. I literally see developers all over my twitter timeline talking about how awful optimization is on PC.

Is it the programmers themselves... or QA not catching issues... or is it the publishers and management just pushing it out not giving their employees enough time to do a proper job?

Like I said... the real piss off.. is seeing these games get fixed almost immediately after launch in many cases. This just proves to me that there's a serious issue going on with regards to QA and that goes all the way from the bottom to the very top.

This forum is for technical discussion, the "why" is the only interesting part
So technically.. why are games fixed a mere week or less after launch, if the issue was technical in the first place?

A lot of games apparently need just one more week of development. What technically has changed in that timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back