Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch... looking at the performance of the PS5 version in that video and the fact that ZERO outlets are getting PC review codes.... really paint a bleak picture for this game's optimization on PC.

Expecting the worst here.

As usual realy good video from John. Wonder what happened here, maybe it was just lower budget side Square Enix project marketed as full AAA 70$ game.

I dont know if it was lower budget, at least not how I would take the words from this early report:
  • Project Athia is the pet project for Square Enix’s CEO Yosuke Matsuda
  • Their internal expectations are that this will be their next big thing
  • They have conveyed these expectations to Sony as well which has heavily invested in marketing it too.

I dont know if it was lower budget, at least not how I would take the words from this early report:
  • They have conveyed these expectations to Sony as well which has heavily invested in marketing it too.

In the end we see what quality they delivered, if ff16 trailers are not hoax than that game is on another level. Also hard to imagine studio can bring two big budget games same year.

Rather than lower budget, they had lack of resources and only like half the team of ff16 probably. Since luminous studio only has 150 employees which itself is half the size of the ff15 team it spawned from. Almost half the studio quit after tabata left the company

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
^ didn't John have this on quality, droping to 720p and 20 frames ? So if that's what you get on a 2070 level of performance, we can already have a mental picture of steam's forums tomorrow :D

Though thats still a 2018 mid-ranger in terms of performance....

Pretty impressive particles, character assets, and environment scale. Not really a surprise it doesn't run too well, looks like certain very expensive features or creative goals were super prioritized, and It's a shame that the polish never came together for props or lighting.

Pretty impressive particles, character assets, and environment scale. Not really a surprise it doesn't run too well, looks like certain very expensive features or creative goals were super prioritized, and It's a shame that the polish never came together for props or lighting.
This is not like other games have good character assets and environment scale and run much better. Horizon Forbidden West have good environment scale and run much better. I won't talk about Death Stranding 2. Another open world with an impressive GPU based particles system is Ghost of Tsushima, it is used for the leaves and for NPC impostor.

I am really disappointed with what happened with Forspoken. The people who worked behind it probably put their blood and sweat on it and then development woes and deadlines downscaled the project.
The downgrade is too big. The game is a mixture of quality and mediocricy as if visual elements had to be patched hastily on top of initial test production. I dont understand what happened.
How from the initial reveal, it came to this is perplexing because apparently features, high quality assets and render implementations were originally there. So what exactly happened? The original trailer was at least on par with Horizon Zero Dawn at it's worst and actually looking better at it's best.

Downgrades in many games is worrying and it is equally apparent in Tekken 8 too. The initial trailer showed much higher character polycounts, much more advanced lighting, significantly more realistic shaders especially on skin, and then the new gameplay trailers demonstrate a huge downgrade in pretty much everything. I wasnt impressed by the least. A stark contrast from my initial excitement.

This trend of showing something super impressive and next gen and then giving us a final product that looks half as good is very very annoying.

Looking at videos I think it's obvious why it's a performance hog.

Loads of alpha on screen and unlike most games it seems to massively, massively push it out in to the distance and LOD transitions are very low too.

So the performance may be a result of excess foliage on-screen and an ineffective LOD system.

Last edited:
The visual aren't good enough to justify the performance hog. At the end they did not reach the right compromise when the game looks uglier than FF 15 and tons of other Open World like Red Dead Redemption 2, AC Unity, AC Origins, AC Odyssey, AC Valhalla, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding. And the worst PS4 version looks often better.

I don't add Open world within a city.

Christophe Balestra comes to an IGDA meeting in France when he was at Naughty Dog and during PS3 era and he said from a visual point of view the right compromise for a console game is to hide the hardware weakness. For consoles, this is memory bandwidth, it means tailor the game around this.

Last edited:
Looking at videos I think it's obvious why it's a performance hog.

Loads of alpha on screen and unlike most games it seems to massively, massively push it out in to the distance and LOD transitions are very low too.

So the performance may be a result of excess foliage on-screen and an ineffective LOD system.
Yes compared to others open world games on consoles (AC, Horizon, Far Cry, RDR etc.) the alphas + particles + vegetation and their LOD system (combined with generous PC-like FOV) can be really impressive. But obviously this has a high rendering cost.

It's such a pity the environment / monster design, artstyle and lighting are so bad and even more a pity when most of those things actually don't rely that much on rendering power. Just look at what From Software can do with environment design, lighting and artstyle on a 1.8tf machine (Bloodborne, Elden ring). It's all about creative direction that is incredibly weak and disappointing from SE after the stellar FF15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back