Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the overly glossy surfaces are a performance thing as those surfaces (and thus reflections) are easier to calculate over reflections that are on rougher surfaces?

The brake callipers in Forza Motorsport 8 are a prime example?

Modedit : Non-technical WIP footage discussion redacted.

As for RTX Remix, it’s simply a neat modding tool that makes it much easier for modders to add RT. Look no further than the modding community to see what even "amateur" modders can do with a very basic set of tools. Many have contributed to making games look much better than the originally did.

Additionally, modders will also be able to tweak and change stuff as they see fit. I see absolutely no reason to be hating on this tech before it even hit the shelves. Don’t like it? Don’t bother with it. It’s not replacing anything that we have or forcing itself into our games.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be technically not well versed at all as you should know that RTX Remix literally uses the same physics and animations as the original game: it does not replace those things. So you are calling the original developers of Portal, Valve, amateurs.
Cool Story
You must've not seen any footage of the actual Portal game itself where portals do have an opening animation and you can even slow down the playback speed to see it very clearly! RTX Remix might be able to transparently handle any animated 3D assets but the Portals look like a projected camera which look to be a case that can break their renderer ...

You must be technically not well versed at all as you should know that RTX Remix literally uses the same physics and animations as the original game: it does not replace those things. So you are calling the original developers of Portal, Valve, amateurs.
Cool Story

Doesn't it also allow new ones to be injected and used?

Modedit : Non-technical WIP footage discussion redacted.

As for RTX Remix, it’s simply a neat modding tool that makes it much easier for modders to add RT. Look no further than the modding community to see what even "amateur" modders can do with a very basic set of tools. Many have contributed to making games look much better than the originally did.

Additionally, modders will also be able to tweak and change stuff as they see fit. I see absolutely no reason to be hating on this tech before it even hit the shelves. Don’t like it? Don’t bother with it. It’s not replacing anything that we have or forcing itself into our games.
If this remaster can't even get a paramount detail such as an opening animation for a gameplay mechanic correctly here as others have pointed out then what hope does the community have with no technical support ?

Not related but finished portal 2 this year on xsx (x360 bc) ;d still there are bugs that blocking game (2 times) fortunetly after few hours I figured it out it was bugged and had proper saves.

If this remaster can't even get a paramount detail such as an opening animation for a gameplay mechanic correctly here as others have pointed out then what hope does the community have with no technical support ?
Where exactly are you going with this? What is the technical discussion you are attempting to engage in? The limits of RTX Remix? RT in general? So far you just appear to be complaining about a lack of animation without any technical question or observation. Please focus your posts on what technology you're interested in. Discussions about the art or development of a specific game should be held in the game-specific thread in the Game fora.

I'm glad all these PS5 games are getting the "unlock framerate" button in fidelity [often native 4K] and performance [often 1440p] modes. This feature will do wonders in the future when new console hardware arrives, we'll get instant native 4K120 via BC. No need to wait for framerate unlock patches.

Who knows, by the time PS6 arrives, maybe it will even have OS support for 240hz panels.

As per the YT/FB comments, 4k60 is a mere dream it seems. High framerates at lower resolutions for last generation games is nice, but i think many want 4k60 at some point in time, for current generation of games perhaps.

If people are ok with DLSS "4K" and DLSS 3: Motion Smoothing, they will be fine with dynamic "4K" and a "true" engine generated 60 fps. :)

I'm glad all these PS5 games are getting the "unlock framerate" button in fidelity [often native 4K] and performance [often 1440p] modes. This feature will do wonders in the future when new console hardware arrives, we'll get instant native 4K120 via BC. No need to wait for framerate unlock patches.

Who knows, by the time PS6 arrives, maybe it will even have OS support for 240hz panels.
I was hoping the ps5 pro would have 240hz support

As per the YT/FB comments, 4k60 is a mere dream it seems. High framerates at lower resolutions for last generation games is nice, but i think many want 4k60 at some point in time, for current generation of games perhaps.
You can find all kinds of comments. The 4k40 VRR fidelity mode is also praised and very delightful

If there were to be a case for more customised semi-custom silicon next generation, perhaps it could be along the lines of Nvidia's tensor cores and image flow processor gubbins.

The 3D pipeline and even GPU Compute (using shader hardware) seems fairly standardised-ish now (give or take), but upscaling and frame interpolation seems like the wild west. NV Tensor, Intel XMX, AMD .... nothing.

Not sure if there's be some kind of standardisation before next gen consoles roll around.

Edit: in other but not completely unrelated news, Toms have had a first look at XeSS on none Intel hardware with Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

As a few of us speculated, uses DP4a where available, emulates on SM 6.4 hardware where DP4a not available. A little faster in quality mode than native where DP4a is supported, slower where emulated (e.g. RX5700 XT).

@Dictator, would you mind dragging yourself over the hot coals and broken glass of image quality and performance once again to let us know about how the quality settings behave across different hardware? I know it's painful for you, but for the rest of us it's an interesting half hour over a brew!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back