Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any truth to that MS has asked DF not to do comparisons to pc versions? I see it in the fb/yt comments, where people ask why the xbox is never used in these comparisons.

Btw theres no mention of it but the ps5 is actually using fsr.
I don't think so, Alex said in another forum it was just a time issue so he had no time to analysis the Series version.
Plus he says PS5 probably uses FSR but it is not good for that game's art.

i saw as well, people got weirdly angry about this video for why isnt it about consoles and why is it about PC. I saw it on various forums. Where is this coming from though ? Didnt Alex get on board with DF to specifically cover PC ? God knows PC was the about the last thing on their mind before Alex came. Some were acting almost offended today why is this about PC and not Xbox. How "most" people want to see consoles vs consoles and not pc. The weirdest thing

It seems people are angry because its almost always pc and ps5, not because its pc vs any platform. Some wanted to see all three platforms which would be most fair and best but that may take much more time to do. PC versions would almost always be the best versions technically so thats expected, what ppl want to know is xsx vs ps5 for that reason. The pc version, technically the most intresting, is a sure-fire to cover.
I wonder though why only ps5 of the consoles.

DF wasn’t as grown pre-Alex days as it is now, they had John basically who is a Playstation gamer. Obviously they wanted to reach the bigger market too anf they started expanding.

I don't think so, Alex said in another forum it was just a time issue so he had no time to analysis the Series version.
Plus he says PS5 probably uses FSR but it is not good for that game's art.

Ok allright. I still think the xbox deserves somewhat more attention. The days of tripple platform comparisons are over i guess.

I would love to see RDNA2 desktop GPU's around PS5/XSX's performance level used in DF's comparisons to see how the console perform when compared to their desktop counterparts and if being in a closed box console helps RT performance or not.

It also seems that PS5 has head room given the solid frame rate and resolution, maybe include a 1080p/30 RT mode with more RT enabled?

Hmmm......it would seem in Chernobylite the consoles use RT reflections and shadows according to a developer interview

Which ray-traced effects did you add to Chernobylite on PC and next-gen consoles?

Within consoles, players will be able to experience Ray Tracing within shadows and reflections on wet surfaces. In the PC Enhanced edition, they will be able to admire ray traced effects which create more realistic reflections and level lighting. This is a significant change in the quality of graphics. Apart from that, we implemented Tessellation technology which makes trees look more natural thanks to much greater detail in geometry.

Link

It also seems that PS5 has head room given the solid frame rate and resolution, maybe include a 1080p/30 RT mode with more RT enabled?
no idea who would chose 1080 with better rt over 1512p with low rt on 4k tv, I would like to see 1800-4k option without rt tough not sure if I chose it over 1512p as is sharp enough for me (and of course idealy some 40fps mode uncapped vrr)

no idea who would chose 1080 with better rt over 1512p with low rt on 4k tv, I would like to see 1800-4k option without rt tough not sure if I chose it over 1512p as is sharp enough for me (and of course idealy some 40fps mode uncapped vrr)

Well me for one and if you look on Twitter there's quite a lot of others.

how big tv do you have ? on my lg cx 55 1080p usually looks quite bad in most titles

It's 48".......Straight 1080p might look quite bad but an upscaled 1080p (Game dependant) will look very different.

And I expect 1080p to be quite popular on these consoles once they get a decent ML based upscaler.

Hmmm......it would seem in Chernobylite the consoles use RT reflections and shadows according to a developer interview

Link

Maybe he didnt notice due to the lower than lowest rt setting possible already for reflections, it could be even lower for shadows.

And I expect 1080p to be quite popular on these consoles once they get a decent ML based upscaler.

Are there rumors of a mid-gen? We should be quite close to them by now. 2023 and were half way the generation already.

Maybe he didnt notice due to the lower than lowest rt setting possible already for reflections, it could be even lower for shadows.

You're on ignore but I'll bite this time......

I didn't mention him, I didn't pick fault with his work, I didn't single him out for not noticing...

I simply posted a link to an article about the games RT implementation so quit trying to stir.

You're on ignore but I'll bite this time......

I didn't mention him, I didn't pick fault with his work, I didn't single him out for not noticing...

I simply posted a link to an article about the games RT implementation so quit trying to stir.

Well, we are in the Digital Foundry topic, discussing the latest video on ray tracing on this game. Its no different to when i mentioned FSR without saying any names.

Link
I have no idea what they are refering to, but PS5 and PC definitely do not have traditional RT shadows that Unreal Engine supports. They must be mistaken in regards to PS5 and PC. On PC there is not even an option to turn on RTAO or RT shadows for example. I have toggled RT shadows and RT AO on PC though with unreal engine unlocker and I can confidently PS5 definitely does not have them.
shadows.00_02_11_46.slkk8r.png

shadows.00_02_27_10.szzk8l.png

PS5 has super obvious shadow mapping just like PC as you can see here.
body.00_12_37_25.stilkmjtr.png

I did not even make the video about XSS or XSX so I have no comment there.

Last edited:
I have no idea what they are refering to, but PS5 and PC definitely do not have traditional RT shadows that Unreal Engine supports. They must be mistaken in regards to PS5 and PC. On PC there is not even an option to turn on RTAO or RT shadows for example. I have toggled RT shadows and RT AO on PC though with unreal engine unlocker and I can confidently PS5 definitely does not have them.

PS5 has super obvious shadow mapping just like PC as you can see here.

I did not even make the video about XSS or XSX so I have no comment there.

Maybe at the time the interview was conducted they did have RT shadows on PS5 but then changed it for final release.

I might drop them a Tweet.

Should the plant be reflected in the river it does look quite far back from the shore (unless its reflected in other versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back