Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2021.

1. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I always thought GT looks more correct but Forza looks better.

Deleted member 86764 likes this.
  2. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

[​IMG]
    From the GT thread, my initial reaction when I saw that is oh its a photo, the lighting is near perfect
    I dont know how one could possibly complain about these graphics, possibly it looks too real but is this a bad thing?
    [​IMG]

milk likes this.
  3. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

The the discussion on what engine is Forspoken using is using took me be surprise. I just assumed it was the Luminous engine.

They are using FSR and DRS regardless though, as they released a video about it.

4. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Probably because they're complaining about these graphics?

122028c17f73fa405b009c9b5663d84f4f9999f2_2_1380x776.jpeg

bed5cd3d0152cb4948f656f70a6e9f51045c7a5d.jpeg

05d1235a631ebe90326294c489c5a1d61f6f4f99.jpeg

AntShaw, Kugai Calo, Dampf and 2 others like this.
  5. Dampf

Newcomer

Yeah, that looks less detailed than some random places in Flight Simulator. The first pic is pretty bad.

Though the screenshots from Zed look incredible. It seems like the quality varies greatly from shot to shot.

6. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

yes the photo with the dam looks terrible, actually like its from a completely different game? It just doesnt fit with what else was shown in the video, maybe its from a very old build, so why did they include it in the video?
    . the 2nd ones OK, the lighting is good, you may think it looks bad cause of the motion blur
    [​IMG]

7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

isn't the photo with a dam taken from the new menu system with simplified isometric view ?

8. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

That game shot looks great.... Except the grass. Seriously the road looks near photographic, but the grass is very videogamey

9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

these aren't in-game, these are in-replay. The fidelity drops dramatically once it's game time. Common issue for all racing games. Though Horizon holds up well to its replay modes, lending to its 30fps, 60fps has fidelity reductions.

The only gameplay in that trailer was about 20 seconds long, everything else is amped up replay/photo modes. Mind you I don't have a problem with how the game looks, I'm just saying it's not at the same fidelity that you're pointing out there. There have been major improvements in the in-game reflections since the initial GT7 release. I do believe they are now RT, where previously they were SSR. But that's only visible in the last car section with the yellow car infront of the driver. You can make out/ see some form of your headlights and vehicle in the trunk. The earlier 2 sections that wasn't visible despite it raining etc. But the frame rate looks below 60 during the yellow car scene. So they have some work to do still it seems.

#2889 iroboto, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    pharma and BRiT like this.
  10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Thats a photo, right?

11. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Whilst forza horizon looks much more fun to play than GT (to me at least), theres not a single screenshot of that game where you can go 'that looks near real, it fooled me for a second', replay or not replay, it just looks obviously CG, its mainly the lighting in forza thats makes it not look visually as good
    Though I watched a forza horizon video and its obviously not meant to be realistic in the slightest, ppl driving off mountains, through streams etc like physics doesnt apply, I wonder if anyones crashed in the world world afterwards and gone, hey I could do this in that game no problems.

PS - yes nesh a photo

senis_kenis likes this.
  12. Dr. Nick

Regular

13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

14. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

quite demanding for this kind of presentation

DSoup likes this.
  15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Graphics don’t look like anything special but it is locked at 60 fps. Maybe it would go higher without the fps cap.

16. cwjs

Regular Newcomer

You guys need to disabuse yourself of "stylized game == high performance". For one, per object motion blur is super expensive. For two, this is an amazing looking game with super detailed, large, expressive scenes, not friendly to super modular hyper optimized grid based art assets like many aaa games. It runs at locked 60 and looks super duper clean, what more is there to want? (Aside from better framepacing on that great looking RT mode)

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

This generation ray tracing performance is holding everything back. It just cements the idea in my head that at the very least MS wont just up clock the xbox series x and add some ram and a faster ssd. I really think your going to see RDNA 3 or 4 (depending on launch time) in these refresh systems. RDNA 2 is just bad at ray tracing

18. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

one of best looking games like Demon Souls remake or incomming FH5 and Horizon 2 looks great without using rt, most studios especialy smaller shouldn't waste time and resources to implement it imo, not everybody is insomniac

19. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

To add to eastmen's comment. The One X was marketed as the 4K upgraded X One. I think the Series X mid-gen console should be marketed as the RT upgraded XSX. Maybe the Xbox RT or something, since 8K TVs being prolific are a long way off.

eastmen likes this.
  20. davis.anthony

Newcomer

How can you possibly say that? It's still a relatively new architecture and is having to battle methods built from a mature RTX implementation.

RTX saw some pretty substantial gains from both driver and game level optimizations as developers learned the hardware so I expect RDNA2 to show some improvement.

Insomniac are showing with Ratchet and Clank that RDNA2 isn't actually that bad an RT.