Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Johnny Awesome, jlippo, Malo and 7 others like this.
  2. cwjs

Regular Newcomer

I always really admire these games where AAA pedigree artists branch out to make something that looks much more expensive than it is. Watching the video now -- not expecting amazing performance

edit: nope, pretty impressed!

#2602 cwjs, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    mr magoo and PSman1700 like this.
  3. Davros

Legend

The game reminds me of Expendable
    Famous for supporting Matrox's (at the time) EMBM

Allandor, PSman1700 and AzBat like this.
  4. mr magoo

Regular Newcomer

Playing on XSX right now and it’s very impressive. Hard to believe it was made by such a small team, everything on screen is so rich in details. It’s pleasure to watch, lots and lots of objects on screen, beautiful lightning and particle effects, dark cyberpunk atmosphere. Great music and sounds and most important it’s fun to play.

5. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

And this is what Joej seems to talk about.... small devs being able to pump out impressive looking games like that on a nice budget and time frame, running on more then just highest end hardware`.

Johnny Awesome and pharma like this.
  6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Unfortunately, DX12 issues still exist in the launch version on PC. Some streamers have gone back to DX11 mode even though DX12 mode looks better just because performance is so inconsistent in DX12 mode at the moment.

Also, loading times when starting a new game for XBO-X about 2:47, for XBS-X about 0:27. :D Thank goodness no HDDs in the next gen consoles as well as massively faster CPU cores for processing what is being loaded.

Regards,
    SB

#2606 Silent_Buddha, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  7. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

I'm even more impressed, that this small team has delivered the game running well (except for some loading times) on all Xbox consoles. Well the dx12 mode on PC is another thing, but I really didn't expect the game running on xb1 and looking so good.

mr magoo likes this.
  8. Scott_Arm

Legend

I was just playing and with ray tracing and ultra settings it looks incredible, but the stutters can be very jarring. I'll probably have to play dx11 or wait on it to get patched.

PSman1700 likes this.
  9. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Hats off to the guys it looks very nice, Im jealous, yes isometric does make it easier to get something looking good but still they have chosen well to go this route. Loading does seem slow though (nearly 30 secs), that would be my only complaint.
    D3d12 is a joke though, its now 6+ years and still its not widely used (In the same time we went from d3d3, d3d5, d3d6, d3d7, d3d8, d3d9) , I are also stuck on d3d11 cause d3d12 just aint fully ready. I havent been following it but what is the cause of the holdup?

10. techuse

Veteran Newcomer

Getting good performance on Nvidia GPUs continues to be problematic for developers. DX11 is also much less dev effort in general.

11. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Some applications just don't need the flexibility of D3D12, like submitting GPU commands from multiple threads or explicitly manage EVERY GPU resource by yourself. To use the newer features they may use D3D11on12.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

Remember the game was made by 12 people, or something. I think they’re really relying on UE4 to provide good performance etc. Hopefully they can iron it out, but it’s not a big AAA. I’m willing to cut a bit of slack.

13. mr magoo

Regular Newcomer

14. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

OK , I have a nvidia GPU, so if I had AMD then I would see better performance with D3D12. Seems weird cause usually nvidia seem to be more on top than AMD WRT drivers (though truth be told I havent been following this since about 2013)

15. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

He’s stuck on gcn vs kepler still. You can either choose to ignore it have that somewhere else.

16. techuse

Veteran Newcomer

I cant speak for this game in particular WRT AMD, but Nvidia performs worse using DX12 in the majority of games with API choice. AMD performs better using DX12 in the majority of games with API choice.

17. mr magoo

Regular Newcomer

holy cow RT in this game looks excellent!

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Looks really nice. Will play in a few years once all the bugs are worked out.

19. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Its decent, but I can't see any RT GI ( just reflections, decent GI is a lot more expensive, so I assume thats why they havent added it ) and this game is screaming out for them, it would be a perfect showcase with all the flashing lights from the weapons, explosions etc in the game.
    I wonder if they added the rain, cause they added RT reflections? :lol:

20. cwjs

Regular Newcomer

I might be mischaracterizing what joej says, but what I've read has an emphasis on machine learning and hands off generation -- the ascent is kinda the opposite tack (and the one I personally believe in) -- everyone there is an expert.

The industry paid these artists a lot of money to cultivate impressive skillsets on the AAA games they worked on (bulletstorm, the new wolfensteins, gears of war...) and they branched off own their own to hand craft something amazing looking. There's heavy procedural generation in the ascent, but it's the kind where a skilled artist/engineer spends several days and codes a tool to generate the perfect staircase from scratch, not the kind where you turn a few knobs and get something kinda realistic looking.