Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
New Year, New Thread.

Rules of Engagement : Read before posting or run the risk of losing posting rights in the Tech Forum!

This is principally a technical discussion thread. It is allied to the other tech analysis threads and shares the same rules as those which you should familiarise yourself with. The purpose is to discuss the findings of the Digital Foundry articles on a technical level, including the techniques employed by game developers in their games, and the comparative design decisions off cross-platform titles. Digital Foundry is more closely allied with Beyond3D than other gaming sites which is why they get special mention here! :D

What this thread is not, is a place to complain about a port's quality and make accusations of developers, to offer feedback on the quality of the Digital Foundry writing or the writers' biases, trumpet your preferred console over the other, talk business and sales, or otherwise sidetrack the discussion from talking about the gaming technology covered in the Digital Foundry articles. If you do not post to the required standard, your posts will be removed, and persistent unwanted contributions will see you locked out of the Technology Forum.

If you want to leave editorial feedback for Digital Foundry, the best place is to leave a comment for the relevant article(s).

Happy New Year everyone! I look forward to all the discussions in this thread!

New Consoles... New Tech... New Everything :D-
happy new year, hope the Three Wise Men have been good to you, so you get some cool stuff instead of charcoal. xD You are doing a great job, in fact thanks to you DF improved a LOT -from the bottom of my heart-.

On a different note, and replying to @orangpelupa from the previous thread, now closed. VR needs a lot of fps and consoles arent providing -future consoles look decent at last, though, the so called era of 60 fps is the ever dream of consoles that never happened-. :(

As I told you, if you have a good PC and if it was me, I'd spend the money in a WQHD 1440p (or even 1080p) 144Hz monitor instead of VR. Being shortsighted, my eyes' health is better than a few extra pixels. (this is something I also learnt from the best computer science teacher I had)

I am used to 4k 60 fps now but well, the 60Hz is not enough anymore. Now that I have a GTX 1080... :mrgreen: :smile:

1080p 144fps or 1440p 144fps >> 4k 60 fps.

two articles from Digital Foundry:

Xbox Series X ports revealed (wonder what are the 2 USB-C ports for and why the 2 HDMI ports...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-ports-amd-ces-2020

And the first 360Hz monitor ever shown at CES

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...dware-headlines-360hz-mini-led-nvidia-drivers

Talking of which, I've got this 240Hz monitor as my Epiphany's day gift.

VA screen, which is great, 1080p -also fine with me being myopic I might miss fine details but smoothness is always welcome-, GSync, so I am happy. But this is my last investment in gaming for quite a while, 'cos I dont live in the lap of luxury.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-27-crg5-240hz-gaming-monitor

https://www.samsung.com/es/monitors/lc27rg50/

Except the Xbox Series X ports have NOT been revealed. AMD says those images of the ports are not accurate for Xbox Series X.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/2...series-x-rear-ports-connectivity-amd-ces-2020

“The Xbox Series X imagery used during the AMD CES press conference was not sourced from Microsoft and does not accurately represent the design or features of the upcoming console,” explains an AMD spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “They were taken from TurboSquid.com.”​

Because AMD didn't received the final design or Microsoft didn't wanted to reveal the ports now.

So they googled the product for a video and used that? Only for Microsoft to show the ports later the same day! :runaway:

So they googled the product for a video and used that? Only for Microsoft to show the ports later the same day! :runaway:

Microsoft technically didn't show them, "insiders" leaked to Microsoft bloggers. If it's wrong I wouldn't have let it gone unchallenged. Best to leak it out to get ahead of it before they do the official reveal.

Tommy McClain

They asked the video guy to make something snapy. The video guy, as he probably always does, went looking online for a 3D model of the product in question and found one. He probably isn't a beyond3d forum member, so he was unaware that the backside of XSEX was still a mistery and that the model was complete conjecture.

This was nuts when this broke this morning. How did some fan-made render end up in AMD's presentation!?! :runaway:
Same way video games get shown as footage for real-life news stories. ;)

Google needs to add a 'not made up' search option for image searches...

This was nuts when this broke this morning. How did some fan-made render end up in AMD's presentation!?! :runaway:

I find it ridiculous that they let that happen. Surely you get in touch with Microsoft and ask for some content.

I find it ridiculous that they let that happen. Surely you get in touch with Microsoft and ask for some content.

It's a surprisingly long and slow/unresponsive chain of command between the 3D animation guy, the ad agency that has AMD's account and contracted the 3D animation guy as a freelancer, to then AMD's marketing department, to MS's marketing department, and back. And everybody along the way has the ad agency as their lowest ever priority of all other stuff they are sorting out.

Sourcing an asset such as a Logo, picture or 3D model of a product from tbe internet instead of asking for official resources to the IP holder is an absolute sin of advertising/graphic design/audio visual production, and all professionals of the field will tell you NOT to do it. Yet, behind closed doors, they (myself included) do it way more often than not.

Projects usually have hard and short deadlines. Things rarely actually get to be done by the book. It being a mess is a industry srandard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back