Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is still really surprising. The xboX has more power than the ps4 pro, but even at 1080p framerate seems to drop for no reason. Maybe they should at least lower their "dynamic" resolution a bit. But still it is not AAA game. Such a small developer may just not have the resources to really analyse what the problem is.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any native 4K Unreal 4 Engine based games ever running across this current generation of Pro/X models. The engine pipeline is very demanding with modern games using lots of geometry, lighting (especially the lighting), post-processing, etc.,. And wanting 60fps experience on top of that ...not going to happen. XBO-X getting dynamic resolution scaling is the "big uptick" over Pro. Maybe the developer should have focused more on FPS, rather than resolution. But in IMHO, the XBO-X frame-drops didn’t look very noticeable - not at all.

Gears of War 4 virtually runs at native 4k on XBX.

Gears 4 also had around 10 people dedicated to rendering. >_>

Stock UE4 is really intense otherwise.

My bad on the native 4K/30fps Unreal 4 engine based gaming. But that doesn't negate the fact native 4K/60fps Unreal 4 engine based games isn't happening across Pro/X. The adaptive 4K/60fps was more than likely the only choice for the developer on saying "we did use the X-GPU additional performance" for adaptive scaling, which should be commended for a GPU hungry engine like Unreal 4.

But yes, I forgot Gears on X used a native 4K/30fps during Campaign and Horde modes. I always thought it was adaptive throughout.

https://wccftech.com/gears-of-war-4-xbox-one-x-trailer/
Push graphical fidelity to the max. This mode uses Ultra Quality Textures, a wealth of new and improved graphical features all at 4K resolution (3840×2160) thanks to the power of Xbox One X. You’ll experience the same frame rates you’ve come to expect from Gears of War 4 – 30fps for Campaign and Horde. In both Rendering modes, Versus will run at a rock-solid 4K 60FPS (with adaptive resolution scaling).

Full breakdown of MHW.
My overall commentary, seems like Capcom (given their success) should probably invest in making the game run better (looks like there are some more opportunities for optimization on all hardware0 and add those frame rate caps.

The 1X version being exactly 4x the base xbox and having similar detail settings is pretty suspect lol.
But I mean, this is the way the cookie crumbles. I do hope they go back and optimize further, with teh base platforms consistently operating below 30, and the mid gen platforms being uncapped; these optimizations can go a long way in improving shelf life of this game.

Full breakdown of MHW.
My overall commentary, seems like Capcom (given their success) should probably invest in making the game run better (looks like there are some more opportunities for optimization on all hardware0 and add those frame rate caps.

The 1X version being exactly 4x the base xbox and having similar detail settings is pretty suspect lol.
But I mean, this is the way the cookie crumbles. I do hope they go back and optimize further, with teh base platforms consistently operating below 30, and the mid gen platforms being uncapped; these optimizations can go a long way in improving shelf life of this game.
Not in graphics mode which has the same level of details of Pro in the same mode.

Not in graphics mode which has the same level of details of Pro in the same mode.
Yea, I dunno. That's not good enough for me lol. I just don't think they spent a lot of time on the X enhanced version which is fine. Because they were never expecting a lot of xbox players, and even fewer 1X players. But ideally hopefully they will come around to making all the versions better. Seems like CPU is a major bottleneck here (of all the things one could nitpick), so finding ways to get around that would be ideal for improving performance across the board.

I would like for them to start at frame rate first which I think getting to 30fps seems to be the major issue for base consoles, and in those scenes we see mid gen stuck at 30//40ish. Which is inline with the CPU upgrades.

Yea, I dunno. That's not good enough for me lol. I just don't think they spent a lot of time on the X enhanced version which is fine. Because they were never expecting a lot of xbox players, and even fewer 1X players. But ideally hopefully they will come around to making all the versions better. Seems like CPU is a major bottleneck here (of all the things one could nitpick), so finding ways to get around that would be ideal for improving performance across the board.

I would like for them to start at frame rate first which I think getting to 30fps seems to be the major issue for base consoles, and in those scenes we see mid gen stuck at 30//40ish. Which is inline with the CPU upgrades.
I think it's more complicated that only CPU limited because of 2 comparisons:

- XB1 has noticeably worse performance than base PS4 at only 864p instead of 1080p.
- The graphics mode is identical between X and Pro and this is the mode where the X performs the best compared to Pro.

Those 2 examples strongly suggest a GPU bottleneck

I think it's more complicated that only CPU limited because of 2 comparisons:

- XB1 has noticeably worse performance than base PS4 at only 864p instead of 1080p.
- The graphics mode is identical between X and Pro and this is the mode where the X performs the best compared to Pro.

Those 2 examples strongly suggest a GPU bottleneck
hmm I'm assuming the resolution difference between PS4 and Xbox should have equalized the load, leaving CPU as the frame rate factor. But yea, it could be more complicated than that.

There is a GPU bottleneck, but not a way that seems traditional? I don't know if that makes sense. But watching the frame rate rise when there is no foliage and back to 30 shouldn't be a GPU I don't think. I don't see how foliage could cause that much overhead.

Full breakdown of MHW.

There is something odd, graphic wise, with the performance comparison scene between 18:06-18:32 time-frame. At first I thought it was a time of day [alignment] comparison issue, but I'm almost certain it is not. You'll notice during the scene that PS4-P, has visible lighting (i.e., torches, flames, hallway lanterns, etc...) present all the way through, while the XB1-X lighting immediately gets culled/stopped during immediate movement.

Could be a bug or poor timing, but it looks quite odd that all the additional light sources went kaput in a blink of an eye.

There is something odd, graphic wise, with the performance comparison scene between 18:06-18:32 time-frame. At first I thought it was a time of day [alignment] comparison issue, but I'm almost certain it is not. You'll notice during the scene that PS4-P, has visible lighting (i.e., torches, flames, hallway lanterns, etc...) present all the way through, while the XB1-X lighting immediately gets culled/stopped during immediate movement.

Could be a bug or poor timing, but it looks quite odd that all the additional light sources went kaput in a blink of an eye.
That's the ominous sign of a Rathalos dangerously flying above you, searching for a new prey, and cutting all the light ! :yep2:

DF Article on Overwatch Xbox One X patch, which was only a 650 meg update: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-overwatch-xbox-one-x-patch-analysis

Now this is more like it. Blizzard's Xbox One X update adds a dynamic 4K solution which adjusts the pixel count to suit the 60fps performance. The reality is a range between 2112x2160 and 3840x2160, though typically at numbers in between when the action kicks off. It's a big advantage

Beyond this you're broadly getting the same package as PS4 Pro. Shadow resolution is a match between the two, falling short of PC's top quality shadow setting, and while the improvement is only very subtle at best, ambient occlusion presents improvement on the Xbox One X as well. Beyond that, the visual feature set of the game remains firmly in console territory, so PC's higher end reflection settings aren't implemented.

In terms of performance, 60fps is crucial to the Overwatch experience and on PS4 Pro, there is a sense that fixed 1920x1080 resolution gives it a comfortable overhead in keeping 60fps performance locked down. By comparison, Xbox One X shows small and occasional signs of strain in sustaining its target frame-rate. In a nutshell, the game uses an adaptive v-sync to render out incomplete frames, if they exceed the render time budget. What that means in practical terms is screen-tear on Xbox One X. At times, you'll see the top third of the screen briefly showing tear artefacts as the renderer tries to keep up with the action.

As such, actual frame drops are very rare. Barring one or two hitches, 60fps is practically locked down on Xbox One X. The only small downside next to PS4 Pro is the outbursts of tearing at the top of the screen, manifesting as a slight wobble, but that's a relatively small price to pay for the resolution increase. Again, taking areas which show the lowest pixel count of 2112x2160 - taken as the worst-case scenario for the engine from our test range - the frame-rate only drops to 58fps.

It's an excellent showing overall and the implementation here is so impressive that it only deepens the mystery surrounding the lacklustre Pro upgrade. Xbox One X does have big compute and memory bandwidth advantages over its PlayStation rival, but at the minimum there's a 2.2x increase in pixel-count when the X's dynamic scaler is pushed hardest, rising to a more typical 2.9x in busy gameplay, propelled upwards again to a full-on 4x in less busy scenes. Despite the spec advantage, we still feel sure that PS4 Pro could deliver much more.

The mystery is how did MS convince Blizzard to do anything, I'm sure it wasn't charity and it wasn't like it was going to boost sales for such an old game.

The mystery is how did MS convince Blizzard to do anything, I'm sure it wasn't charity and it wasn't like it was going to boost sales for such an old game.

Probably exclusive enhancement like the exclusive HDR in The Witcher 3. Money is a good motivator.

Followed by a good PR advertisement thanks to DF.

But hey at least Pro owners have a locked framerate without tearing and drops seen in the XBX version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back