Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Look, I didn't pursue that career, they did though. Its their homework, but they are skimping on it...

DSoup and OCASM like this.
  2. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Personally i dont care so much if theres some errors in their presentations, im seeing with my own eyes how it looks and behaves. They can say for example that Cyberpunk or any of the Sony games look the best, or have the best tech or even next-gen quality, its not something that changes my mind on how a title looks or if its the best looking, hyping is something that attracts more people. DF is enjoyable anyway since their presentations are very well done, and they certainly know more then the average joe that watches/follows them.
    Perhaps that i would like to see is more equal platform attention, and/or disable the comment section on youtube since its only people flaming each others xbox or ps consoles there.

tongue_of_colicab, Lalaland and BRiT like this.
  3. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

The can be blamed for what they say. If they had a disclaimer in their videos that said: "this is just superficial speculation, we actually have barely a clue about what we're talking about" it would be less of an issue.

4. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Where on earth do they ever indicate that it's anything more?

Recop and vipa899 like this.
  5. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

this on current gen...

6. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

On a Pro mind you, thats late 2016 hardware. It could look as good on a standard ps4 but we dont know yet, atleast we see what great art and design can do.

Is it going to be a openworld game like hzd? The draw distance is impressive.

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That sounds a lot more significant than it is. It's hardware released in 2016 based very closely on 2013 hardware, and not hardware three years more modern than PS4. One only needs compare existing Pro titles versus Vanilla to see the differences aren't going to be that significant, and all about IQ and framerate.

The only place Pro might have a significant advantage is if the particles and physics are using double pumped FP16, where PS4 could be a lot sparser than Pro. Looking at other PS4 titles though, that doesn't seem that realistic to me and I expect the game looks the same, just clearer/faster on Pro.

8. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Isnt Pro's gpu atleast twice as fast? More memory too. Some games show a difference in filtering and texture resolution aswell.
    Would only be good though if theres no difference other then resolution in upcoming games like tlou2, ghosts, death stranding etc, i wouldnt need a pro then, used vanilla ps4's are easy and cheaper to obtain.

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Precisely. The differences are just in framerates and resolutions and a little bit of quality. Models are the same, density is the same, etc. Level's aren't reworked by artists to add more stuff.
    Look at existing face-offs to see what a Pro gets you over a Vanilla. If you can live without higher framerates and IQ, you can save a lot of money.

vipa899 likes this.
  10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Pro is Really useful if you have a 4k tv and/or a psvr. For 1080p tv and no vr don't bother. And ps5 arrives in 2019 :p

11. tuna

Veteran

Is there anybody else that is doing it better?

12. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

You are right on that one. I like the fact they exist. I dont think they do more harm than good. But there sure is room for them to do a better job.

13. Liandry

Regular Newcomer

Maybe I should ask my question in another thread, so it can be moved. I don't know if my question is correct, but how many compute is used in current games?

14. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

What do you mean how many compute? Compute queues? Compute shaders?

15. Liandry

Regular Newcomer

Compute shaders.

16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

If people are expecting this: http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

I think there is space for both, but certainly DF cannot get to this level with any realistic model for profitability. It's likely not profitable either for them.
    They do a decent job at explaining to customers the platform differences with the same title. Outside of that they try to do their best in explaining differences between newer and older titles.

17. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

I'm ok with their scope, but they just say stuff that is simply wrong way to often, I think.

OCASM likes this.
  18. tuna

Veteran

Maybe you can correct them?

19. higherARC

Newcomer

True the X allows more upgrades due to nearly double the amount of ram available for games with 320gb/s speed

20. steveOrino

Regular

I mean sure, if DF had hardware level access and debug tools for all the consoles I don't think that level of postmortem would be out of the question. I use tools for my PC games where if there is DoF or camera motion blur I can't toggle off in options I just find the shader address and shut it off.

John (and even the new guy Alex (on the PC)) does this level of analysis on DF retro games because he has the option to use emulators to debug the game. DF primarily focuses on new consoles so there is a lot of eyeball work to determine all the buffer resolutions and it gets even more complex with dynamic scalers so its not surprising they get it wrong sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.