Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
so then it's its 900p. Thus when Xbox One X is running at full 4K it's 6x the pixel count, and when it's not, it's 4x the pixel count.

Indeed, but your example was wrong and my point was right : before SoT, there was no real example that the X was able to hit 4k in a 900p game.

That's why i said it's an impressive feat, assuming they can fix the performane issues.

Indeed, but your example was wrong and my point was right : before SoT, there was no real example that the X was able to hit 4k in a 900p game.

That's why i said it's an impressive feat, assuming they can fix the performane issues.
there are a lot of dynamic 4K titles on X1X in which XBO is 900p.
I would assume those would be along the lines of that. It's not as impressive as a feat as complete native, but I don't think it's necessarily off the mark. If you're looking for definitive proof of power, I suppose native is the only way to go, but these dynamic titles by third party developers can still showcase that gap in performance between the two.

A bit disappointed there is not much of a difference between the two versions. So much talk about that DR FP16 implementation.

This one isn't checkerboarded though, is it?
shrug, no mentions of it, so going to wait and see until they spend more time on the pro version, or another team determines its method.
At this moment given the information available, looking at a 1600p with reconstruction on AA. Very good job by Ubisoft here. They have really turned the company around since R6 Siege.

This one isn't checkerboarded though, is it?
No CB for Far Cry 5 on Pro. DF would have mentioned such an important detail. AC Origins was native too on Pro.

Some COD games also ran at native 1620p while 1080p on base system. But yes, Far Cry 5 must be a very optimized game on Pro like the COD games.

@iroboto It's 1620p, not 1600p. 1600p doesn't give an integer with 16/9 ratio.

And 1620p using CB would be bad. Origins was mostly a native 1440p game on Pro which is roughly equivalent to 2000p CB

Last edited:
@Globalisateur 1620p in an open-world game with that kind of small detail is a very good achievement.
Yep. The game was previously announced to be 1800p 'only' on XBX. I think they must have optimized the game on Pro, they said the game would benefit from FP16 DDR on AMD hardware after all.

Confirmed 'native' 1620p by DF, a very optimized game on Pro indeed.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6099526/

EDIT: native 4K on XBX apparently according to John

Last edited:

Ni No Kuni 2 looks amazing, at 60fps no less! Pretty impressive, haven't played the first but i'll be picking this up

I'm assuming 1800p for the pro means checkerboarding, then upscaled to full 4k.

Ni No Kuni 2 looks amazing, at 60fps no less! Pretty impressive, haven't played the first but i'll be picking this up

I'm assuming 1800p for the pro means checkerboarding, then upscaled to full 4k.
Nope. Native 1800p on Pro at mostly 60fps. DF were rather impressed by it.

Crikey blimey. Have we seen many other games reach that kind of resolution? Other than the likes of Locoroco, that is.

Well, bravo to the developers of Far Cry 5 and Ni No Kuni!

Its not native. Df fails to distinguish 1800p from cb from time to time. Mathematically, native 1080 - 1800p isnt possible on the pro without performance hits. Unless we're talking about games that were stuck at 1080p on base hardware simply because thats the max output. Like rayman or something.

If it were native itd be the most impressive pro conversion easily. Its still a really good boost.

Seems far cry is native though.

Last edited:
Its not native. Df fails to distinguish 1800p from cb from time to time. Mathematically, native 1080 - 1800p isnt possible on the pro without performance hits. Unless we're talking about games that were stuck at 1080p on base hardware simply because thats the max output. Like rayman or something.

If it were native itd be the most impressive pro conversion easily. Its still a really good boost.

Seems far cry is native though.
It is possible. For instance Last of us remastered is 1080P on PS4 and 1800p on Pro with a slightly better performance as a bonus (both also 60fps). If the game is heavily optimized and if the engine shines on Pro, it's possible.

The last guardian is 1080p on PS4 and native 1890p on Pro. It really depends of the game.

EDIT: Wipeout Omega collection at 1080p / 2160p on Base / Pro.

Last edited:
Mathematically, native 1080 - 1800p isnt possible on the pro without performance hits
what are you talking about of course it is.
I assume you're making the assumption that the 1080 non pro version must be using 100% of its available power, which is most likely not the case like in 99.9% of other games

It is possible. For instance Last of us remastered is 1080P on PS4 and 1800p on Pro with a slightly better performance as a bonus (both also 60fps). If the game is heavily optimized and if the engine shines on Pro, it's possible.

The last guardian is 1080p on PS4 and native 1890p on Pro. It really depends of the game.

EDIT: Wipeout Omega collection at 1080p / 2160p on Base / Pro.

Those are ps3 remasters, and TLG is a ps3 game with minimal improvements. I think TLG is checkerboarded as well. I've played that game on a pro and the image looks weird, certainly not what you'd expect from native.

I'll try to get confirmation on Ni No Kuni, but it's not native.

Again, a game that is not leaving resources on the table on the base ps4 cannot run at 1800p without sacrifice.

Last edited:
what are you talking about of course it is.
I assume you're making the assumption that the 1080 non pro version must be using 100% of its available power, which is most likely not the case like in 99.9% of other games
Of course it is. Developers can always optimize further, but current gen games and exclusives aren't just leaving resources on the table. I'm talking about the big budget AAA titles.

DF's console shootout with FarCry5

Ubisoft has done a fantastic job with this one - all consoles get an excellent version of Far Cry 5 with extremely similar assets and settings, but it's the Xbox One X that takes the crown owing to its native 4K output. John has all the graphics comparisons and frame-rate tests you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back