Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, a clear example that the X is able to deliver a 4k experience on a 900p Xbox One game. The only real example so far was Killer Instinct.

It's an impressive feat.

Edit : if they are really able to fix the performance issues on X.

Finally, a clear example that the X is able to deliver a 4k experience on a 900p Xbox One game. The only real example so far was Killer Instinct.

It's an impressive feat.

Edit : if they are really able to fix the performance issues on X.
HUH? Do some more research, try witcher 3.

Last edited:
Well they don't state how often it runs at 4k, just that it does in less demanding areas. Vgtech and people at era spotted drops as low as 14xxp during cutscenes too.

And here is their 4K HDR video for SoT ...

We've not done a full 4K HDR video for a while, but after playing Sea of Thieves we thought it was worth it! Regular YouTube viewers get a tonemapped SDR video, but if you have an HDR capable YouTube client (Roku, high-end Samsung, Galaxy S8/S9/Note 8, LG V30 etc), you'll get the full-fat experience. And it's worth it.

Alternatively, join the Digital Foundry Patreon and download the original source file - copy to USB stick, plug it into your HDR screen and away you go - this game looks beautiful!

Well they don't state how often it runs at 4k, just that it does in less demanding areas. Vgtech and people at era spotted drops as low as 14xxp during cutscenes too.
Then at Low end tht Xbox one X is 4x outputting more pixels than the base system up to 6 times.

The point of the discussion is whether it can get up to 6x the number the pixels. Dynamic shouldn’t be counted out if the equation just to prove a point. We want every game to be dynamic to ensure the game is pushing the most it can without impacting frame rate. At best Xbox one S would average up to 900p and would drop to 720p and frames in these lower sections.

If X1X follows the same curve that’s anywhere between 6x to 4x on the lower. Xbox one s never hits 1080p unless at the menu.

Then at Low end tht Xbox one X is 4x outputting more pixels than the base system up to 6 times.

The point of the discussion is whether it can get up to 6x the number the pixels. Dynamic shouldn’t be counted out if the equation just to prove a point. We want every game to be dynamic to ensure the game is pushing the most it can without impacting frame rate. At best Xbox one S would average up to 900p and would drop to 720p and frames in these lower sections.

If X1X follows the same curve that’s anywhere between 6x to 4x on the lower. Xbox one s never hits 1080p unless at the menu.

Are the drops in resolution ever really noticeable? I've read that resolutions above 1440p are quite forgiving.

Hideous ? The cartoon style is nicely done to me.
I don't know what you would call this style that seemed to crop up this gen but it's terrible. Mishapen models, flat shading, sort of a clay look... gross. Fortnite kinda looks similar. and firewatch

It's a go to generic style this gen when you're on a budget I guess

But again I can't say enough good about the water, probably the best realistic water in a game. Which just makes the rest stand out even more to me.

There are several 'cookie cutter' styles. There's only so much you can do. 'Uncharted' is a style, duplicated across Tomb Raider, HZD, GOW. Faux-torealism. If you don't want to look like that, you have to go with something stylised, which is 'cartoonified' going back to Team Fortress. This is the obvious choice if you want something 'fun' and 'lively', plus that'll run on low spec PCs. If SoT were Faux-torealistic, the levity of the play would be impacted. Then you have 'low poly' spawned from mobile, which with nice lighting looks pretty good and is great for indies. And of course pixel-art. There are only a few games that break out and do something different, like The Tomorrow Children or Dreams or an Ubiart game, but they are very specific and those styles wouldn't work with other games.

"Hey, Rare. How come you haven't invented a brand new art style that's light and fun but not cartoony and not similar to the thousands of previous games from Monkey Island to Ratchet and Clank to Team Fortress to Quantum Break? Cheap arsed lazy devs!" :-?

Honestly, some of the criticism being shown SoT is totally out of place, as if it's being singled out for some reason, like Rare ran over everyone's cat 15 years ago and they're still angry!

Are the drops in resolution ever really noticeable? I've read that resolutions above 1440p are quite forgiving.
well... that's a bit of a different debate entirely.
Yea, it's tough to notice because the drops in resolution are likely to coincide with a lot of things happening on the screen at once, at that point in time your mind is focusing on the battle ahead and not so much the crispness of everything, unless it's noticeably worse. If we're talking pure theoretical output though... then.

For me, we should be comparing the difference in pixel count between the average resolutions, that's probably the most proper way to do it to be honest. There's some pet peeves i get when I read about people discrediting the performance profile of the 1X:
a) The first is that all of us, developers included, agreed that the power is best spent on making the game look better and to focus less on the resolution
b) We also agreed that frame rate was more important than resolution as we're likely to definitely feel drops in frame rate vs noticing drops in resolution during a heavy action sequence
c) Ultimately developers should have full control over what their game should look like

We've all agreed on points (a) through (c) and all of a sudden to win a point in a fight against MS, axioms (a) through (c) no longer matter in the equation of things, they're out to target some item said during an interview they also tried to make 900p xbox games also 4K. That's nothing they promised, especially given axioms (a) to (c). And for the most part considering that 1X should be about 4x the performance of XBO, we're seeing that, and we're seeing it at higher fidelity, more AF and higher settings, as we should expect. The claims were largely made as a result of 1X running the exact same settings as XBO. No enhanced game we've seen on 1X, has only done a pure resolution boost. We just haven't.

It is marketed as a 4K machine, and amongst all the consoles it's clearly getting really close to being consistently there. And aside from a couple of titles in the lower end, X1X for the most part manages to hit that number fairly well.

Then they could have copied a better style. Cartoon doesn't have to mean crap. But hey if you like it great. We can at least agree it makes good use of the hardware

It’s also dynamic 900p. What’s your point? X1X was never sold as native. And holds 4K significantly more than it doesn’t.

It's dynamic 1080p on Xbox One... the game never runs below 900p. But DF was unable to spot a 1080p resolution outside the main menu. So it must be really rare...

It's dynamic 1080p on Xbox One... the game never runs below 900p. But DF was unable to spot a 1080p resolution outside the main menu. So it must be really rare...
so then it's its 900p. Thus when Xbox One X is running at full 4K it's 6x the pixel count, and when it's not, it's 4x the pixel count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back