Digital Distribution vs Physical Distribution (2017 and forward)

I don't see physical media disappearing entirely until the PS7 / XB6 generation, given how poor the internet infrastructure is here in the U.S.

100 GB disks will still be pretty useful for distribution for folks with capped or shitty broadband ten years from now ...

Sony is working on a successor to BD, with 300GB storage capacity [and no organic component that degrade with time], but who know what they will use on PS5.

That's true Shifty, but business decision like this need to be based on hard data, and I wouldn't like to be the engineer at Sony pointing to this graph and trying to explain to executive management that a diskless next-gen console is a viable strategy, when close to 75% of all AAA console gaming revenue still comes from physical media.
You're right, that'd be a tough sell, but it'd be the wrong data to base an argument on. You'd have to go research the right data to make an informed and meaningful choice. Looking at the current state doesn't necessarily predict the future, and if anything, using future data extrapolated from this graph, I'd argue the transition against the economic sense of disks is towards DD. If 25% of sales are DD now, it stands to reason that'll be a lot higher if the games are cheaper. Personally I still wouldn't go with a DD only console, but I would consider a DD only model to offer consumers.

The graph data that was used only showed 2016 and that was already 25%. If you use all the revenue data brought up from the current year (2017 for those out of touch), the trend is well over 35% for the larger publishers to be pure digital.

Heres one of the recent data points that was mentioned in some other threads. Might as well include it here to get a more accurate look of sales digital vs physical:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...lot-bigger-and-less-physical-than-we-thought/

A year ago, NPD estimated that a healthy 44 percent of industry spending was still devoted to physical discs (and collector's edition accouterments). This year, that number cratered to 26 percent, largely because of NPD's data-driven "restatement." (Fig. 2, above)

I'm no expert, but that looks like a fire hazard

You're clearly a fire marshal.

I don't think a console without an optical drive is likely to come early in the next generation, but I think we're quite likely to see PS4 and XBoxOne iterations without an optical drive, and with a ~256GB SD card in place of an HDD.

It's in the interests of both companies to get a device out there that's cheap, small, and capable of making use of their subscription services. Such a device would even be great for rooms other than the primary gaming room and, as long as they make proper use of Remote Play (I assume the XBoxOne has the same thing but branded differently,) a multi system household needn't be put off of physical media.

I'd like to see the following: PlayStation A possesses an optical drive, and PlayStation B doesn't, but the latter is to be used to play a game on disc, it may do so by way of:
1) Remote Play as is already possible between a PS4 and a Vita, PC, or certain Android devices.
2) Downloading the game to PlayStation B, verifying the disc with PlayStation A, but still leaving PlayStation A to play any games it has stored locally. Maybe even allow PlayStation A to play the game on disc as well, although I imagine that would be a difficult sell to publishers.

I don't see physical media disappearing entirely until the PS7 / XB6 generation, given how poor the internet infrastructure is here in the U.S.
I really don't get this comment at all. Is it due to some remote locations not having decent wired connection options? Or is anything below 1Gbit simply peasant to you?

I really don't get this comment at all. Is it due to some remote locations not having decent wired connection options? Or is anything below 1Gbit simply peasant to you?
The most remote locations may not have an option at all, barring satellite.
The current US regulatory aspirations for broadband are to regress minimum broadband standards to wireless tethering in the range of 10/1 Mbit down/up, wiping out the 25/3 wired created after the original alternative distribution thread was started.
Data caps and attempts to force mobile-style plans or neglecting areas to the point of forcing consumers to wireless are spreading.

Many areas have one wired connection option, or will. Regulatory criteria for having more than one wired connection option are shifting to whether there is another vendor in the same zip code, regardless if said alternate vendor can physically serve a location.
The next plan is to say that satellite or wireless can count as well, or copper/DSL.
The policies limiting how the ISPs can throttle or privilege traffic are being actively scheduled for repeal/inaction/invalidation in court.

The probability that a broadband dependent console hits a billing/reliability/bandwidth pain point may not be significantly different than at the outset of the original thread.

I guess its hard to grasp that many people want physical media simply because its physical. Y'know... I can give it to a friend to borrow, can sell it, am not at the publishers mercy in general? And there's the collecting aspect. An all digital future is inevitable but its not a positive one.

Nevermind prices - digital is supposed to be much cheaper but I never have trouble finding sub $20 unused physical games, while the same game is probably at least twice the price on Sony and Ms's stores.

We will see what happens with the Switch. The cost of the media is high enough to encourage some third party devs to choose the smallest memory units and to force users to download GBs of data.

If this becomes standard practice and the switch and it's third party devs do really well it might encourage the dropping of physical media all together for that platform for some devs. And other platform owners may give disc less consoles a shot.

Might as well include it here to get a more accurate look of sales digital vs physical:
More accurate? Its apples to oranges
the one at the top is xbox/ps (i.e only console revenue)
your link is also non console stuff (i.e. including PC revenue)

Remember when ppl on these forums were claiming back in 2013 that MS should go 100% digital cause its the 'smart' way, and I and others were saying thats madness from a business point. Next gen ~2019 perhaps they could go 100% digital for a console but in 2013, what were yous smoking :LOL:

I hadn't purchased physical games on the consoles since around 2011 maybe 2010. I cant recall when I last bought a physical game on the PC. Never thought I was that forward thinking, just that everyone else was stuck in the past and too busy yelling at the kids to get off their lawn.

More accurate? Its apples to oranges
the one at the top is xbox/ps (i.e only console revenue)
your link is also non console stuff (i.e. including PC revenue)

Consoles are getting more PC-like so why shouldn't we look at how PC marketplace has been for decades? Its how the console marketplace will be. Its inevitable.

Physical media for PC is still a significant market in some regions, e.g. Germany and other parts of Europe. I think people do just appreciate the physical aspect of physical media.

I personally like the option of both and would be happy for physical media to stick around for the long term. Sure, digital prices are high but just like with physical, games prices always fall over time, so as long as you're not one of those who must buy a game on day one, then waiting to buy later (often even a GOTY edition that includes DLC) is still a great option available to us the consumer.

Physical media for PC is still a significant market in some regions, e.g. Germany and other parts of Europe. I think people do just appreciate the physical aspect of physical media.
They're catered to by optional ODDs, including externals (like I have). The smart move thus seems to me to be an ODD-less console with ODD-peripheral. If MS (probably Sony too), I'm sure you could support any USB drive along with a bespoke 'in keeping with the console design' drive. It's more a matter of security preventing that, where online activation is probably necessary.

Yes an optional ODD peripheral would be a great idea.

I do wonder how much sway Gamestop and the gaming retailer sphere still have on these decisions, given how this was oft cited as a major reason for platform holders wanting to preserve physical media.

They must still have some influence, as there's no other reason I can think of for digital game prices being higher than physical on PSN/XBL.

Why not go all the way with the console as a microATX board. Add your prefered storage, odd, cooling, case, power supply...

I don't think it's commercially sound, but I would definitely buy it.

Back