Digital Camera Failures

Druga Runda

Sleepy Substitute
Regular
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/10/2235206&tid=233&tid=137

In the past week, four major camera makers have quietly published service advisories admitting their digital cameras are dying. In each case, the flaw appears to involve Sony CCD sensors using epoxy packaging that eventually lets in moisture. Sony's own cameras are among those affected, and the company also has dozens of affected camcorder models.
so you might want to know about this if you have bought one of the affected cameras.

It seems that I am lucky

I have the old Minolta S404 and the new A200 so it is not on the list :smile: , check it out as if it goes bad it seems that you can get the free repair or replacement at least with KM, but I'd expect with others too, even though I didn't read their announcements.

The manufacturers that acknowledged the problem so far are Canon, Fuji, KonicaMinolta and Sony.

Here is the full list of affected models
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128958202.html

• [*]Canon:
    • PowerShot A60
    • PowerShot A70
    • PowerShot A75
    • PowerShot A300
    • PowerShot A310
    • PowerShot S230 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS V3 / IXY D320
    • PowerShot SD100 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS II / IXY Digital 30
    • PowerShot SD110 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS IIs / IXY Digital 30a
    [*]Fujifilm:
    • FinePix A303
    • FinePix F410 Zoom
    • FinePix F700
    • FinePix S2 Pro
    [*]Sony:
    • Cyber-shot DSC-F717
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P10
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P12
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P2
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P31
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P32
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P51
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P52
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P7
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P71
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P72
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P8
    • Cyber-shot DSC-P92
    • Cyber-shot DSC-U10
    • Cyber-shot DSC-U20
    • Cyber-shot DSC-U30
    • Cyber-shot DSC-U60
    • Cyber-shot DSC-V1
    • CD Mavica MVC-CD250
    • CD Mavica MVC-CD400
    • CD Mavica MVC-CD500
    • FD Mavica MVC-FD100
    • FD Mavica MVC-FD200
    [*] Konica Minolta:
    (note: all affected models were actually released prior to the merger with Konica, and hence carry only the Minolta brand name)
    • DiMAGE A1
    • DiMAGE 7i
    • DiMAGE 7Hi
    • DiMAGE Xi
    • DiMAGE Xt
    • DiMAGE X20
    • DiMAGE S414
    • DiMAGE F300

CMAN said:
Crap, I have two models on that list.... :oops:

But they still work perfectly! :p
If you read the full article, it says it can take years for moisture to permeate the CCD packaging. The higher the temperature and moisture levels, the faster it will happen, but it will probably happen to your cameras eventually. You'll have to send them back for repair sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
If you read the full article, it says it can take years for moisture to permeate the CCD packaging. The higher the temperature and moisture levels, the faster it will happen, but it will probably happen to your cameras eventually. You'll have to send them back for repair sooner or later.

I've had both cameras for a while, and do not tend to use them in harsh environments. I am thinking they should last at least another couple of years, and by the time they die it will be time to upgrade anyway. I am happy they seem to be willing to fix them though.

CMAN said:
I've had both cameras for a while, and do not tend to use them in harsh environments. I am thinking they should last at least another couple of years, and by the time they die it will be time to upgrade anyway. I am happy they seem to be willing to fix them though.

They are not talking about deserts or jungles here. These problems happen because of hot sunny days or moisture in the air because it's raining outside. I suppose if you can't be bothered to send them back before they break, no one can force you to. ;)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
They are not talking about deserts or jungles here. These problems happen because of hot sunny days or moisture in the air because it's raining outside. I suppose if you can't be bothered to send them back before they break, no one can force you to. ;)

I thought you could only send them in after they break.

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

I'm thinking this explains the useless piece of junk Fujifilm F700 sitting in front of me. Had it a little over a year when the pics suddenly went really wonky and within a few more days not at all.

I seem to recall it was a 1 year warranty, that had just ended.

Went out and bought an Olympus Camedia C5500, and that's what we took to Europe for our vacation this year. Did a wonderful job.

Edit: "have a purplish cast or multi-colored distortions". Oh hell yes, this is ours. Serial number range matches too.

Well, thanks for the tip. . .now I have to decide whether to hassle with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
CMAN said:
I thought you could only send them in after they break.

I suppose it depends on the recall details. They know they are all going to break, maybe they hope that people will have upgraded/lost/broken their cameras when the CCDs fail. It's an admitted manufacturing fault, they'd have a lot of problem denying you a replacement.

Back