Digit Life claim that GF4mx has vertex shader 1.1

You mean in the table? must be a mistake, because up at the top they clearly state:

"1.GeForce4 MX doesn't and won't support pixel and vertex shaders. "

What are these guys smoking?

I guess the DX8.1 SDK Caps Viewer, it is legalized in russia! ;)

GF4 MX440 with 27.42:

gf4mx.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ram on 2002-02-24 19:49 ]</font>

It does - in software. I should imagine that DX caps will report that it has a 1.1 compliant hardware shader though, much the same as 3dfx's Geometry assist driver reported that V3/4/5 had a hardware T&L engine.

On 2002-02-24 19:45, DaveBaumann wrote:
It does - in software. I should imagine that DX caps will report that it has a 1.1 compliant hardware shader though, much the same as 3dfx's Geometry assist driver reported that V3/4/5 had a hardware T&amp;L engine.

I though software shader support was removed in DX 8.1 ?

It was my impression (correct if im wrong) that vertex shaders can be implemented via the CPU, and not too slowly at that...so while i view this as deceptive, at east the vertex shaders will WORK...which they wouldnt otherwise. It just remains to be seen if nVidias vertex shader emulation is faster than (insert game maker)'s custom job...

On 2002-02-25 17:39, Xmas wrote:
On 2002-02-25 00:58, Doomtrooper wrote:

I though software shader support was removed in DX 8.1 ?
Doesn't matter if the drivers do all the work.

The driver may do all the work but I'd guess it would be dead slow, especially on a sub 1000 mhz processor ?

Generally, it's realistic to do per-vertex stuff on the CPU, depending on how complex the scene is of course, but for many apps the CPU will do just fine even though it may not give optimal performance. Anything that touches textures/fragments/pixels though has to be done by the GPU for pretty much every application if you want it to be realtime.

Well, Brian Burke has sent me an answer to the question:

GeForce4 MX accelerates vertex shaders, and can run vertex programs, but with less overall performance than GeForce4 Ti. Some functions are executed on CPU, some on the GPU - a hybrid model.

Brian Burke
NVIDIA Corp.

With that I suppose he means that if the vertex shader can be mapped upon the fixed function T&amp;L unit it'll run in hardware, otherwise in software. It's hardly feasible to try to execute some instructions on the GPU and some on the CPU in the same shader.

Yeah - they are not going to change the design from a functioanl unit they already have and risk needless extra respins.

On 2002-02-26 02:21, Humus wrote:
It's hardly feasible to try to execute some instructions on the GPU and some on the CPU in the same shader.

I disagree.

Take character animation for example. The best way to do it on vertexshaderless hardware is to do the tweening/skinning on CPU, and let the GPU do the transformation and lighting part.

I guess they will take games that do use vertex shaders and optimize the codepath for those special cases. (That's what they always do, don't they?)

Yes, it is possible to apply transformations to a subset of vertex programs for mixed-mode execution. If dependencies aren't an issue, non-fixed-function idioms can be moved to the front of the vertex shader and executed in two phases.

Also, from what I've read, the GF2 T&amp;L pipeline isn't completely fixed, it just isn't flexible enough to do DX8. There are still registers and microinstructions, presumably setup by the device driver or firmware ROM. These could have been altered for the GF4MX to expose more of the underlying pipeline to programmability. Who knows what the deficiences are? Maybe a lack of registers, constants, swizzling, etc?

This is similar to the situation with register combiners, where the underlying pixel pipeline was flexible, just not flexible enough.

Well, there is a subset of the texture shader where this may work, but i wouldn't say the GF4 MX's has hardware vertex shaders, or even call it a hybrid. It makes as much sense as calling the Radeon 7x00 fragment processing capabilities for a pixel shader compliant hybrid approach since some of the pixel shader operations may be mapped on the multitexture pipeline with a driver tweak.
I would be very surpriced if the GF4 MX had significantly different vertex processing engine than that of GF2.

Hmm... they are bit different. If the GF4 MX's driver really can utilize its hardware T&amp;L engine with some vertex shader, it is a hybrid to me. On the other hand, no driver for Radeon 7x00 can utilize its pixel pipeline for some pixel shader since emulating other pixel shaders will be too slow to be practical. That's a fundamental difference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pcchen on 2002-02-26 18:01 ]</font>

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but all along I thought DX8 doesn't allow splitting up (between CPU and GPU) vertex programs *unless* there's *specific* programmer intervention in an app/game? If this is the case, what is Brian Burke talking about?

It is possible if driver is doing all things. Since a built vertex shader can not be altered, driver can determine whether the hardware is able to perform it when building a vertex shader, and choose software code path implemented in the driver if the hardware is unable to process the vertex shader.

On 2002-02-26 18:00, pcchen wrote:
Hmm... they are bit different. If the GF4 MX's driver really can utilize its hardware T&amp;L engine with some vertex shader, it is a hybrid to me. On the other hand, no driver for Radeon 7x00 can utilize its pixel pipeline for some pixel shader since emulating other pixel shaders will be too slow to be practical. That's a fundamental difference.

Well, some of the early Radeon drivers allowed you to set a registry key "PixelShaderVersion" to enable that version. It would allow you to run several pixel shaders in hardware mode, in fact, most if not all the DirectX SDK examples worked just fine. What's "too slow to be practical" is of course a matter of definition, and varies a whole lot between different applications, not all apps needs to be realtime.

Back