DF's role in Xbox marketing *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJay24

Veteran
Let's not forget that the pro was out of stock for multiple months on Amazon.
Also a much greater upgrade and seemingly a better overall handling of the enhancement info - my main pet peeve of the Pro, where there is not a lot of info from Sony about what each game is getting as an upgrade. Crazy state of affairs.

Well they don't control 3rd party developers. I guess they could run a PR campaign and try to pay people for patches and then announce them. MS has the advantage of DF doing great work on their behalf, like a technical wing of MS sales.

Well they don't control 3rd party developers. I guess they could run a PR campaign and try to pay people for patches and then announce them. MS has the advantage of DF doing great work on their behalf, like a technical wing of MS sales.

Exactly how does this type of petty behavior move the conversation forward?

I mean maybe I'm just completely unreasonable but I am a senior executive after all, and if I were Sony and I made a fuss of releasing a Pro, I would simply pay one person, maybe two - cause that's really all it takes - to go through the games that are being released and bloody sort some kind of standardised information out! It's clerical work. It takes nothing. It's literally like having the info at the back of Blurays with Dolby/dts formats etc.

You're going to have to justify that statement with a decent argument if I'm not going to axe it as trolling.

LOL.

Like Anandtech and a host of others do for Intel, AMD and Nvidia?

Fighting to stay relevant somehow almost always produces greater effort than looking down from the top in the console space (Nintendo being the exception to the rule). I bet Sony would have engaged in similar efforts if the Xbox One had been the dominant console of this gen.

People assume that the X will follow a similar path in sales of the PS4 Pro, but let's see how the difference in marketing/promoting, designing hardware and working behind the scenes plays out. Let's see if promoting a mid gen console upgrade for 1.5 years, working hard to provide support and pushing the best hardware can overcome kicking off promotions a month prior to release, relying on having the most popular base hardware and scheduling a design with a simultaneous release with a VR product in mind.

Digitalfoundry doesn't do anything bad. Sony is not very vocal about the PS4 Pro no big marketing push. They are leader and they don't need it but focus a little more on PS4 Pro could have been better...

Digitalfoundry is not here to do the work of Sony...

Last edited:

It's somehow DF's fault that Sony has done a piss poor job of promoting the benefits of the PS4-P or getting developers to spend significant time and effort to enhance games for the PS4-P? Especially older already released games?

It's somehow DF's fault that MS has deliberately made the XBO-X boneheaded easy for developers to release enhanced and/or 4k versions of all their games including ones already released?

I didn't see all the crying when DF was all over the PS4-P singing its praises when it launched to no competition. Were they like a technical wing of Sony then?

Regards,
SB

I do think that the price difference between the X and S will prevent it from achieving higher than 20% ratios over time, but we'll see. Performance and higher resolution haven't traditionally played that big a role in console sales, but I do agree the difference is much larger than it has been before. Will the public care though? The current price seems to close to PC purchase levels.

What makes the X attractive to me now is actually that it has Apps and that I could easily develop for it. That, combined with 12GB ram, gives me a pretty decent feeling about the platform. But it will be a ways off before I am properly interested, as I don't even own a 4K TV yet. If the App stuff becomes a thing, I'd probably sooner buy an S first as it will probably sell for under 200 euro.

I do think that the price difference between the X and S will prevent it from achieving higher than 20% ratios over time, but we'll see. Performance and higher resolution haven't traditionally played that big a role in console sales, but I do agree the difference is much larger than it has been before. Will the public care though? The current price seems to close to PC purchase levels.

What makes the X attractive to me now is actually that it has Apps and that I could easily develop for it. That, combined with 12GB ram, gives me a pretty decent feeling about the platform. But it will be a ways off before I am properly interested, as I don't even own a 4K TV yet. If the App stuff becomes a thing, I'd probably sooner buy an S first as it will probably sell for under 200 euro.

I agree, the Xbox One X will attain the number of 3 millions consoles sold really fast and after the sales will slow down...

As a PS4 Pro owner without a 4k TV, it is a bit of a deception... And I have seen the result on a friend house with a 4k Tv, it is much better. I don't want to buy a 4k TV before TV HDMI 2.1 Ready. I want my 4k TV to be my PS4 Pro TV and my PS5 TV too.

EDIT: And I don't speak of games without 1080p patch. Many games use temporal AA now and the downsampling is better but not so far from the normal PS4 version with temporal AA...

Last edited:
I agree with him as well, to an extent.

I do feel that MS (smartly) used DF to relay their PR for Scorpio. I mean what better way to release PR than to have one of the biggest console tech groups release it.

They kindly invited DF to MS to see the tech, and they basically said what they told them. Their reveal video seemed VERY PR'ish with how many times Richard said "unprecedented".

That said, I don't feel like MS is paying DF or they're working for MS or anything like that. Just that they're relaying their PR or information... whatever you want to call it, to help promote Scorpio in return for being invited to MS to get the exclusive first look.

Going forward, I don't think there will be any bias from DF or anything like that.

Last edited:
Its obvious. Anytime anything good is said about MS its because they're shills. Anytime something good is said about Sony its because its the truth.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of that bullshit logic being posted on our forums. Its intellectual dishonesty and trolling.

Meh, I'm saying it how I see it. I don't think MS or DF really did anything wrong, but that spec reveal video reaked of MS PR to me. I just saw it as DF returning the favor for giving them the exclusive reveal and inviting them to MS. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a smart move by MS.

Outside of that, I haven't sensed any MS PR through DF.

If you think that's bullshit logic and trolling because we viewed DF's XBX reveal differently then that's unfortunate.

Last edited:
Microsoft is just doing more, they are now the underdog. Sony is chilling a little imo but they are the leader and it is just human and it will probably change for PS5... But if they are not pushing the PS4 Pro, they are preparing many games for 2018 and 2019 and it is more important than a mid gen hardware...

Yes, MS has gone far above what Sony has done to promote/market XBX compared to PS4Pro. It is more important to them and sales (early on) will reflect the effort they put into XBX.

The struggle will be to sell a $500 box outside of XB1's core audience.

Last edited:
Eurogamer completly destroy the Gamescom Xbox conference and were very aggressive during an interview with Mike Ybarra... If the two following article are PR for Microsoft. It is not digitalfoundry but eurogamer is not only digitalfoundry...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-22-the-big-microsoft-gamescom-interview
I believe they made the expected questions considering MS's stance.
It is no different from Sony's PS3 start that made journalists ask the hard questions quite often.
The console gaming culture is almost absent at this point in MS which is what Sony has been using to market the PS4 ("For the Players", investing on exclusives, having on board people with passion for hardware and software like Mark Cerny, making moves to bring games gamers have been asking for years like Shenmue and Final Fantasy, securing partnerships with influential developers like Hideo Kojima etc).
MS's treatment of the XBOX brand leads someone to wonder what kind of strategy it serves and where it fits in. To me it is like a door to Windows Store and secure a healthy support for Windows gaming on PC. And for that they need to have presence in the console market to keep things in check

I have to say that Eurogamer is very honest. They give credit where it is due though as they have praised very well X's performance of games in another article and they were quite delighted with the results. They were vocal with them.

I have to say though that the XBOX One X as a device is quite well thought and well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back