Development environment...

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Saem, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Saem

Veteran

When developing under *nix, anyone go beyond vim/emacs and some scripts?

2. j^aws

Veteran

You mean using an IDE or something?

For usual 'nixes, I haven't messed around with IDE's. Only messed around with the IDE that comes with Mac OSX...

3. passerby

Regular

Depends on what comes with the *nix you have. I'll just consider *nix without OSX here, and restrict to free software.

Of course there are graphical versions of vim and emacs. There's nedit too.

Currently KDE offers the best development environment. Kompare is an excellent graphical diffing tool and the most easy on the eyes. For just a simple coding editor Kate is excellent and very eye-pleasing. For a full IDE, Kdevelop is the best now and is right up there in the 'eye-pleasing' category. Unless you are doing java work, in which case use eclipse - itself written in java. Using eclipse for anything other than java is pointless - it's a resource hog, slower, has lots of the usual 'project settings overhead' typically associated with a full-featured IDE, and doesn't give much extra benefit if you are not coding java.

4. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Eclipse is okay, but I stick with Emacs (I am a total Emacs fanboy after all).

5. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

I use Nedit for text editing and DDD for debugging. It stands for something like Data Display Debugger. And of course, scripts. :D

6. Saem

Veteran

That's interesting, I try and use KDevelop, but most of the time it ends up being trying most of the time and I just run back to Kate. The lack of a splitter in kate part for KDevelop is painful! Especially when you're trying to refactor. Code completion just doesn't cut that missing functionality.

Agreed about Eclipse it's pointless unless you're doing Java development.

If we're talking old skool editors, Baron, vi owns you. ;)

With this thread, I'm more curious about what levels of success people have had with what things, what they stick to is fairly indicative of what doesn't work.

7. Jabjabs

Regular

Sorry I don't us *nix, I use Linixon...

[​IMG]

... yes I just wanted to post apicture of richard nixon! :D

8. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Agree 100% with DDD. The "undo" is a blessing and I even use the data graphing facility.

I use xemacs configured to behave like the ancient DOS editor, brief, but that's just me showing my age :)

I do tend to use some scripts but recently for some of this work I've been using GNU Make with the C-preprocessor to put together files "on the fly".

9. Saem

Veteran

Put together files on the fly?

I'm assuming having many files such as foo.inc and bar.inc and then using the #include directive to roll them into a .cpp file or two?

I've used that , it keeps the files organised in such a fashion that they're readable while keeping the compilation units down for optimisation purposes.

10. suryad

Veteran

I used JEdit...Textpad is also cool but if AFAIK it is for Windows only...but JEdit should be compatible with multiple different OSes IIRC.

11. archie4oz

archie4oz ea_spouse is H4WT!
    Veteran

As far as editors go, I've typically used BBEdit or (now) SubEthaEdit on my OS X machines... Used Codewarrior before (on both OS X and Linux), but stick to Xcode nowadays (at least on OS X)