"Developer Confirms Kinect Is Coming To PC"

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Only if you have a PC in the living room I suppose. However, I think it's more likely to be used for other games and apps rather than party games.

2. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

Companies better start producing larger monitors, quick-like. Because I don't see myself ever playing a motion game in front of 24 inches.

3. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

TV's? As long as you can make do with 1080p resolution it's basically just a big monitor.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Nothing in those articles mentions party games. I would imagine developer's using the SDK will make games or applications appropriate to most PC configurations where the person is sitting in front of a monitor at a desk.

With the short distance, upper body tracking, facial recognition, finger tracking etc. should be less error prone.

I can say I wouldn't mind if I could use my hand in the air or on the desk to move the screen around in an RTS for example, rather than using the arrow keys on my keyboard. Or being able to use my non-mouse hand to select things while the mouse issues commands, or vice versa. It obviously won't replace pure keyboard shortcuts for competitive players, but could allow easier access to spells and special abilities of units for more casual users. Select spell, building to construct, whatever with one hand while simultaneously placing it with the mouse without having to remember the shortcuts for the spell, building, unit, whatever...

There's an absolute myriad of opportunities for some really intuitive and innovative control scheme's. Hell, accurate head tracking without having to pin IR emitters/reflectors to your head like TrackIR. Their version 5 hardware costs the same as stand alone Kinect, and has much more limited functionality, although to be fair their software will still allow it's use in a wider range of games off the bat. But that's just pointing out another area where Kinect could be useful on a desk.

I could go on and on about potential area's where motion controls could improve games that aren't party games.

Regards,
    SB

5. Teasy

Veteran

The last reason for me to keep my 360 just disappeared.

6. Davros

Legend

Another convert

Welcome to the world of P.C Gaming
    [​IMG]

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend