DEV question: Could the xbox handle MP?

I'm not a developer, but I can't see anything that would be a problem on Xbox.

The game is relatively simple as far as graphics go. No bumpmapping or anything like that, and the poly counts are pretty sedate.

Still looks great at 60 frames per second though.

Ozymandis said:
I'm not a developer, but I can't see anything that would be a problem on Xbox.

The game is relatively simple as far as graphics go. No bumpmapping or anything like that, and the poly counts are pretty sedate.

Still looks great at 60 frames per second though.

MP looks relatively simple as far as geometry is concerned. It has nice lighting though its not anything i would call spectacular. All in all its a nice graphics package but not anything i'd imagine the xbox couldn't do or do better.

The only thing that I would consider a problem would be loading times.. albeit the HDD would help.

Other than that, if coded from the ground up on Xbox, I don't see why MS' console couldn't do MP.

A straight port might struggle, though. 'Course, I'm not a developer so.. :)

i'm not a dev but i know there is some non-technical reason preventing MP to run correctly on the xbox.. see what i mean.

what do you expect starting a thread like that ?

i guess:
maybe some dev will come and tell that the xbox could do that w/o problems.

in this case there will be in any order some pro-xbox who will boast the technical superiority of the xbox, some GC guy who will contest what the dev said and quote factor5 staff, flamewar etc..

i'm afraid this topic is highly redundant :(

it doesn't have to be like that Magnum. There are a few people in these forums that turn such discussions in to flame wars, i think we know who they all are. It is easier to just avoid them.

What i am really asking is to know some of the technical aspects of MP.

IMHO any current console could handle MP..

the game perhaps wouldn't be exactly the same as the GC version, but it would be doable and equaly enjoyable.

eventually any current console is capable of running very good software.

for sure you can do more polys or more bump mapping on some console..

but does some more millions of polys or bump mapping make the best game ?

Gameplay is king.
Graphics only need to be a bit above average. (that is: not two years old)

All those childish talk about 'mine is bigger than yours' becomes seriously boring, annoying even upsetting.

Beyond3D bandwidth and space can be used for real/interesting topics.

There may be games that sound better than MP. There may be games that have more complex geometry and higher resolution textures. Some with bump mapping and better lighting effects. But Metroid Prime does all of the above and then some better than any game I've played. Unrivaled level design (well at least till Zelda tWW gets here) . Great textures and decent poly counts with huge areas at a steady 60fps. And unmatched gameplay imo. That's what Retro has done with Metroid Prime.

Goldni said:
Unrivaled level design (well at least till Zelda tWW gets here) .

:rolleyes:

From what I've seen of Celda the level design is nothing special. The texturing and overall look is incredibly bland... in contrast to the impressive character models.

And of course the themes are going to be pretty trite (it's a common problem with Nintendo games).

The latest footage I've seen shows some pretty nice texture work. The overworld shows nothing spectacular, but the look is consistent and the particle effects get pretty wild in some scenes.

From what I've seen of Celda the level design is nothing special.

What exactly have you seen? You should make sure that you at least see a real 640x480 video of the final game before you ridecule other people's comments on it.

BTW, weren't you also one of the people claiming that Metroid Prime looked bland before it came out too?

I've just seen it on a TV screen in a shop, it was awesome, even those MPG and DivX videos (not even mentionning the pictures) really can't do the game justice.

I was really impressed while watching it running on the Cube on a TV, while I was a bit sceptical seeing it on my PC in DivX, MPEG, MOV or pictures...

You really need to see it in action running on the GameCube to appreciate it.

I can't say much about level design since I only saw a demo...

Zelda looks "bland" because that's its art-style, which isn't really bland at all.

Just because the grass isn't made up of 300 different shades of green doesn't make it bland.

I've seen IGN Insider 640x480 videos of Zelda. And I'll stand by my opinion. I guess I have a beef with cel-shaded games that don't use cel-shaded backgrounds as well as characters...

zeldajpn_1211602_6.jpg

zeldajpn_1211602_18.jpg

Metroid Prime is "bland" in a sense; no bumpmapping and fairly simple textures. Then again, with 60 smooth frames per second and intricate level design that has a large variety of textures (simple they may be) per scene, I'm apt to overlook it :p

Heh, I understand that qualm.

Cel-shaded games should be as colorful as possible. It's a joy to look at stuff like JSRF and Bomberman Generations; they're both rather vibrant! Zelda isn't a traditional cel-shaded game, of course. It's like a Samurai Jack sort of "toon-shading". If you watch Samurai Jack, you'll notice that while there's a lot of color.. but it's not quite as varied as.. say.. a Disney movie. No outlines, just very stylized (and usually weird) artwork. Even though I'd classify Zelda:WW as a "cel-shaded" game myself.. it's not quite the same as JSRF. (or any other top-tier cel-shaded game)

Back