Deus-Ex 3 Announced

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Bajzel

Newcomer

Chronicles of Riddick, Tron 2.0, NOLF 2, Vampire:Bloodlines and that's at the top of my head. All way WAY better than IW.

2. Davros

Legend

well yes, but for every game you can name better than dx2 i can name 5 that were worse

3. Bajzel

Newcomer

In the same genre? Go ahead. We're talking about "intelligent shooters" with some RPG like elements, not dumb "run and gun" with no plot to speak off.

4. Galduta

Veteran

Deus ex IW is the only FPS /RPG after the 2000 year . Chronicles of Riddick, Tron 2.0, NOLF 2, not are RPG , not have decisions, moral choices , or secondary missions - except some misions .

NOLF 2 not have a serious storyline .

Vampire:Bloodlines is RPG with some FPS part - very boring for my for one RGP, but this is other story , and well, is one game in six years or in total four games for six years.

For my Deus ex IW and Riddick are the most interesting Action game in 2004 . I replay the two games some times , not like HL2, Doom 3 , or other FPS in this years . And yes , Tron 2.0, NOLF 2 and Vampire are good games, superiors than the convencional FPS .

5. Davros

Legend

if your limiting me to "intelligent shooters with rpg elements" then i cant name any, better, worse or equal i dont know of any

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I find it interesting that DX IW has fans. People who are willing to not only say that it didn't suck, but to actually defend it fairly aggressively. What is redeeming about the game, exactly? It's a bad FPS, a bad RPG, and a claustrophic level-loading-screen extravaganza. I suppose the universe is interesting, but it's basically just cyberpunk megacorp cliche. The game doesn't really have great atmosphere, courtesy of the bad level work. Westwood's old Bladerunner game has droves more cyberpunk atmosphere.

Why play it instead of its predecessor? Or one of the System Shock games? Or Thief? Or, if you want a good FPS, well, almost every FPS is better than DXIW.

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Perhaps because 4 or 5 games won't keep most people busy for 10 years? And saying almost every fps is better is ridiculous, there are some really terrible FPS games out there.

8. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I enjoyed the game. *shrug*

9. swaaye

Legend

So you're saying that this is some staple of gaming enjoyment? Unless you are limiting yourself to FPS/RPG hybrids for your gaming selection, I don't really see how you could be limited to 4-5 games.

As to the FPS comment, I'm saying that the FPS element to DXIW is awful. It is one of the worst examples of such gameplay. I can't think of any that are worse until I get back into the DOS era. Even Chaser and Chrome make it look bad. Heh. I'm sure I'm missing some horribly terrible game, though. Doesn't change the fact that Deus Ex 2 is mediocre at everything it does.

I forgot to mention that I liked the music. They picked a great industrial band for the bars and Alex Brandon's stuff was great. All of the "instrumental" parts of the soundtrack were released for free download.

#49 swaaye, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  10. Galduta

Veteran

Maybe Deus ex is the better antecesor ? In Deus ex , the FPS aspect were terrible - in IW a bit more without individual ammo - , the stealth aspect were more terrible , and the RPG aspect were mediocre . But is the top of the videogame for many people ;)

Other examples of such FPS gameplay are NOLF 1, NOLF 2 .....but are for my intelligent shooters with "adicional elements" .

11. Davros

Legend

just a quick list of fps games that are worse than dx-2

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza
    Half-Life: Blue Shift
    John Romero's Daikatana
    Messiah
    Mortyr (2093 - 1944)
    Mortyr 2
    The Sum of All Fears
    Turok: Evolution
    Gore: Ultimate Soldier
    Dread vs Deth
    Will Rock
    Vietnam: Black Ops

12. L233

Veteran

That still doesn't mean IW was anything but very mediocre, which it was. I'd say IW can be compared to Red Faction II in terms of mediocrity. So yeah, it was better than Daikatana.

13. Davros

Legend

well there you go then - I win :D

14. swaaye

Legend

Yeah the Deus Ex series hasn't exactly been the flag bearer for the Unreal Engines with regards to FPS combat. :)

NOLF games are definitely classics.

15. Bajzel

Newcomer

The only game that compares genre wise to IW from your list, Davross, is Dark Messiah. And it is better than IW. But whatever, frankly I've spent enough time discussing a game I can't stand.

16. anaqer

Veteran

Actually, the second and third episodes in Daikatana were more fun than most of IW.

17. L233

Veteran

Yah, well, at least in Daikatana we didn't have to look at a LOADING screen about every five steps taken.

18. Davros

Legend

dark messiah isnt in my list
    your getting confused with Messiah from shiny entertainment
    [​IMG]

19. Fox5

Veteran

Heh, I remember that game as being one of the highly anticipated games to make use of the Geforce's hardware T&L. What ever happened to it? Am I safe to assume it came out and sucked?

20. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Some liked it and others hated it. Personally, I thought it was short, fun, with a couple of clever ideas, but ultimately mediocre. A game many would have enjoyed, but most shouldn't feel too bad for missing out on. Got my copy bundled with a GF3 Ti 200. Still have it around somewhere.