Detroit [PS4, PC]

Played the demo this morning and, aside from a less than great control scheme, I really liked it. I may even buy it. :yep2:

Yeah. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have your primary means of interacting with the world also be the way to control the camera?

Yep. To interact with the world you have to point the camera at whatever it is you wish to interact with using the right stick. And then you have to do little gesture motions with the same stick to execute the interaction themselves. Needless to say you're in for a lot of unwanted camera spasms that way. It's like having the same button for interacting and jumping in a third person game.

I'm definitely waiting for reviews. I can deal with the controls and I really liked playing the negotiator Connor, but whether the other android's stories and interactions in the world hold up as well is a big question mark.

Super shitty image capture aside the GI and PBR look excellent here.
8MAPyhs.jpg

80/100 "Strong" on Opencritic with 64 reviews. For this type of genre (which has many haters) that is quite good. I can't seem to buy it on Amazon, but Sony is giving out a 20% PSN code for watching a Detroit video, so there is the digital route, which I do not prefer for SP games.

The borderline next gen visuals alone has sold me already, a 80 Meta is just icing on the cake, plus I've always liked Cage's games:) especially Heavy Rain. I hope they include a Photomode at some point, would make perfect sense for a game of this genre.

80/100 "Strong" on Opencritic with 64 reviews. For this type of genre (which has many haters) that is quite good. I can't seem to buy it on Amazon, but Sony is giving out a 20% PSN code for watching a Detroit video, so there is the digital route, which I do not prefer for SP games.

Can't you just grab a copy from a store, then? I remember the whole "OH MUH GOD, God of War isn't available on Amazon. Whatever are we going to do?" As it turned out just about every major electronics retailer had stacks of God of War boxes as high as the show floor ceiling on release day, so no problem.

Oh wow this is very impressive. Just read the clustered forward presentation and it seems to be a very good implementation. Played the demo and I have to say this is very close to TO1886 in terms of image quality but it does so much more, skin shading is probably the best I've seen this gen. Bought :)

Edit: I've even liked Beyond Two Souls (with all its flaws) so I think this is going to be a very enjoyable experience!

ArsTechnica has a more critical look at the game, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/detroit-become-human-review-a-lack-of-humanity/

Detroit: Become Human review: Robotic in all of the wrong ways
Poor scripting and world-building sink an ambitious dive into branching narrative.

For a game so focused on presenting a seamless interactive cinematic story, the most striking thing about Detroit: Become Human is its exposed seams.

Like the world’s most slickly produced choose-your-own-adventure book, the latest David Cage game lets you play with narrative conventions and mess with the inherent connective tissue of the story in some intriguing ways. But that underlying story ends up so fragmented, so poorly executed, and so clunkily written that it’s very difficult to appreciate the narrative playspace.

The Good
The ability to play around with a massive branching narrative structure
A few genuinely affecting and fraught moments of decision
Connor’s plotline has some relatable, almost-human moments
Some strong vocal performances
Elaborate scenery and set dressing

The Bad
Overwhelmingly artless, unsubtle scripting with no sense of humor or self-awareness
Characters too often act as mere mouthpieces for simplistic, cliché ethical quandaries
Plotting that constantly beats you over the head with “THE MESSAGE”
Inconsistent world-building that doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny
Issues with pacing and uncanny valley presentation

The Ugly
Quantic Dream’s attack-the-press response to allegations of a toxic workplace.

The Verdict:
Try it if you really want to see how hard it is to make branching narrative work on this scale. Otherwise, just catch up on Westworld.

I assume you missed the fact this noise is from Kyle Orland. My expectations went way up. :LOL:

80% on metacritic right now, which is pretty exciting for this sort of controversial game. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I was interested in reviewers who liked Heavy Rain and didn't like Beyond Two Souls (I thought they really missed the mark with beyond). It looks like a winner, so far mostly unanimous that it's much better than Beyond. And quite a lot of reviewers said it's a masterpiece.

Controversial themes cannot work without insulting a few people. There are two upcoming games which have "triggered" reviewers with a mere trailer, detroit and tlou2. Not any guarantee it will be good, but I love that sort of reaction, it means they didn't play it safe and they wanted to show it right in the trailer.

I assume you missed the fact this noise is from Kyle Orland.
Yes Kyle Orland, You can pretty much ignore what he says.
eg Very telling, under 'The Good' bulletpoints, for one of the indisputably best looking games ever, nothing is said about the graphics :oops:

Back