Dell XPS Gen 2 - 7800gtx is dying

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Greetings,

So my brave Dell XPS Gen 2's video card is dying.

Lot of artifacts, I ran Dell's built-in diagnostics tool and confirmed that the card is not good.

So I'm looking for a replacement card, however, they're very expensive!

Dell 9300 XPS Nvidia Geforce 6800 Go Video Card W5373 for $200!!! :|

Anyone know if I could adapt a very cheap Go videocard to my Dell XPS Gen2?

Any idea is very welcomed.

Thanks.

You should be able to run the 7800 Go GTX, 7800 Go, 6800 Go Ultra, 6800 Go, and a Radeon X300. I have a Inspiron 9300 with a modded XPS Gen 2 BIOS installed (the hardware is identical AFAIK) so I can run the 7800 Go GTX. Had a 6800 Go originally.

I believe that the 6800 Go Ultra is actually faster than the 7800 Go. Not that it matters much anymore.....

You should be able to run the 7800 Go GTX, 7800 Go, 6800 Go Ultra, 6800 Go, and a Radeon X300. I have a Inspiron 9300 with a modded XPS Gen 2 BIOS installed (the hardware is identical AFAIK) so I can run the 7800 Go GTX. Had a 6800 Go originally.

I believe that the 6800 Go Ultra is actually faster than the 7800 Go. Not that it matters much anymore.....

Thanks. I think the x300 will be the cheapest of all. I won't be playing games on it, just internet.

mito,

It occurred to me last night that you could just reprogram your card's BIOS. It's pretty easy to do.

-Get Nibitor and NVFlash for Windows.
-Dump the BIOS to a file with either program and back it up somewhere.
-Edit a copy of your original BIOS. Downclock it. Drop the RAM 50-100 MHz and see if it fixes your problem. Try downclocking the core if that doesn't do the trick.
-Drag and drop new BIOS onto the NVFlash for Windows executable.

Worst thing that can happen is you brick your half-dead video board. I've edited my 7800 Go GTX's BIOS a bunch of times though so you shouldn't have any troubles.

Thanks Guys.

After almost a full year I've decided to give this a try.

The poor old XPS Gen 2 is still alive and kicking, it's only the video artifacting that is the issue.

woot.

The vidcard stopped artifacting all by itself. I swear I didn't do anything.

Well, I booted with hiren's boot 10.1, but that's it.

What's happening? :|

img00096201002171457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I really need to reflash the 7800gtx bios in order to underclock it?

Nvidia's control panel has these options by default:

nvidia.jpg

Drivers: Forceware 92.91

Back