Dell deal on Core i7?

horvendile

Regular
At least in Sweden. Maybe.
Dell (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...top-studioxps-435mt?c=se&cs=sedhs1&l=sv&s=dhs) is selling core i7 systems at surprisingly low prices, starting at about 1000 euros without monitor and with no decent graphics card.

What might the catch be? If any.

The PSU is only at 360 W. Will I be able to drive a 4870 1 Gb or a GTX 260 (now there's a question in its own right, but I'm leaning towards the GTX) with that? Normally I'd say probably not, but I think that somehow Dell and the likes get away with lower raw watt numbers than you'd think.

Any comments?
Oh, and I just might have to decide, like, tomorrow. Don't ask me why.

No I think you will need a bit more power from the PSU just to be safe. You can prob get away with it but I think you would be endangering the life of your PSU and the other components attached to it possibly.

I got hold of them now, and not entirely unexpectedly they don't recommend using heftier video cards with that PSU. Unfortunately that's the only Core i7 system they're selling. Too bad.

It's not altogether impossible that a Dell "360W" PSU could power a higher-end graphics card. I have a Dimension 4300 (currently unused) with a "305W" PSU that has dual +12V rails rated @ 17A each. Peak delivery is rated at over 400W.

Dell severely under-rates their PSUs compared to cheapo aftermarket brands.

I was thinking along those lines, but I am too much of a coward - especially since I called them and they advised against a GTX 260.

Instead, I'll buy components and have a friend help me assemble them, figuring I can keep my Antec P180 case and drives.

can you not just but the dell and replace the psu, or are they using custom components ?

Dell's PSUs often have custom cable lengths and they are a little over-sized to accomodate the PSU release latch on the back of the case.

Standard ATX PSUs do fit Dell cases, however. The only concern is the cable length.

Back