Dell Axim X50v with Intel2700G

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kristof, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Kristof

Regular Alpha

Launched today :

Dell Axim X50v

Intel® XScaleTM PXA270 624MHz
    Microsoft® Windows MobileTM 2003 Second Edition
    Windows Media Player 10 Mobile
    RAM: 64MB SDRAM
    ROM: 128MB Intel StrataFlash® memory
    TFT Color 16-bit, Touch Sensitive, Transflective LCD
    3.7 inches
    480 x 640 resolution at 65,536 colors (VGA)
    Intel® 2700G multimedia accelerator with 16MB video memory

FREE 3D Gaming Pack with Axim X50 purchase comes with:
    Head to Head to Action with StuntCar Extreme
    3D Puzzles with Enigmo

K-

2. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

If only the bleeping thing weren't $500.

3. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Got a friend at work picking one very very soon. :)

4. Mariner

Veteran

I find it strange that Dell don't make any mention of the 3D capabilities of the chip in their advertising. Obviously, 3D might not be the main reason that anyone buys this type of PDA but it's always a good advertising buzzword. Almost seems as though they are underselling the product. :?

5. ngkmh

Newcomer

There's a review of the Dell Axim x50v here:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Dell_Axim_X50v.htm

2D performance lags behind the HP VGA model (with its ATI Imageon chip) Doesnt mention how the 3D performance compares although it says 3D games played well.

Anyone got any 3D benchmark comparisons?

Cheers,

6. deviantchild

Regular

and another new 3D game for the 2700G http://www.pvrgenerations.co.uk/*

*sorry, thought i'd pimp our site instead of the actual source as no-one visits us anymore :cry:

7. hrishi2das

Newcomer

does any one know why the 2D acceleration is so bad ? and can it be rectified? many people seem to be saying it because of some GAPI driver thing. So can it be rectified easily like with a patch or something?

I was looking forword to buying this pda, but if it performs so bad in graphics , i will not buy it.

8. Mariner

Veteran

Here's another review:

http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=200

An excerpt from this review:

9. pocketmoon66

Newcomer

sounds like the same old story - the original Axim used an 'xscale' video chip that supported all sorts of lush blitting, there were white papers and demos but nothing was ever supported by the OS so what was the point ....

10. Goragoth

Regular

This sort of thing seems to happen a lot and really suprises me, kind of like ATI with its fbuffer, lots of talk and the hardware is there but no software support to acutally be able to use it. :?

So now theres at least a few PDAs with 3D support, does anyone know if there are any cellphones with built in 3D chips yet? Now that would be neat. :D

11. SiBoy

Newcomer

[quote="GoragothSo now theres at least a few PDAs with 3D support, does anyone know if there are any cellphones with built in 3D chips yet? Now that would be neat. :D[/quote]

They're coming 8)

12. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Sounds like the application may not be making use of all the HW (i.e. not using the right API?) <shrug>. I believe all the needed 2D support is in HW in the graphics chip.

13. Kristof

Regular Alpha

From the Intel whitepaper on this matter :

Whitepaper is available from Here.

K-

14. Loewe

Newcomer

Summary:

We have now this new and better PDAs with VGA, but only new applications that are write for the new APIs would run perfect.

If we use an old application we must expect that it will be slower on the new faster device as on the most old one?
    There is no way to change this? Kristof? :)

15. Kristof

Regular Alpha

Dunno really, I am not a 2D man. I'd guess it depends on how these old APIs work and if they can actually be wrapped into using the new HW functionality... but as said in the whitepaper if these APIs just allow direct memory access then it might be quite tricky to do since its really like reading/writing directly into video memory using the CPU pixel per pixel. I think using glWritePixel/glDrawPixel/glReadPixel in OpenGL on desktop implementations is similarly "very" slow.

Possibly an option is to do it all on the CPU side (as old systems do) and then have a single accelerated blit to the video memory at the end ? But as said I am no 2D expert just making guesses...

K-

16. Captain Chickenpants

Regular

One of the problems with DFB's is that they don't mix well with hw acceleration. As soon as you have direct framebuffer access on a system with hw acceleration you start having to synchronize operations. I.e. you have to wait for any outstanding hw accell operations to complete before allowing access to the surface, and vice versa.

The 2d benchmarks are probably going to go the same way as the PC market did, at first they were the big thing for marketing, and then eventually they realised that after a certain point it makes no difference to the user experience. What will make more of a user experience difference will be the playability of the games, and video performance.

Not sure about the various players mentioned in the reviews, but windows media player should be using some acceleration for mpeg2 and mpeg4.

CC

17. Kristof

Regular Alpha

I had a quick peek at GAPI and its... welll... basically it allows you to begin and end, begin gives you a pointer to video memory and when you are done modifying that memory you call end... so its basically : here is the memory do what you like and let me know when you are done. This is good for to the metal software graphics but horrible for HW... I think the best you could do is implement GAPI on the CPU side as optimally as possible and then when end is called you do a single blit into video memory. Not ideal but really don't see any way to use HW acceleration with GAPI since there is nothing to accelerate.

All my 2c...

K-

18. Fafalada

Veteran

Looks like the battery life is even worse then HPs 600mhz model (though not by much). At this pace PPCs will be catching up with laptop battery life soon -_-

19. Loewe

Newcomer

@Kristof and Caption Chickenpants

Ok I understand. So we must life with this and hope there will be soon newer software versions without this problems.

Even this old benchmarks not so importent for me, if I can work with 2D all is ok why I need a benchmark in this field :D , where are your real benchmarks for the MBX or is there not a demo or so for MBX to show how a application will run with and without hardware support?

20. Luminescent

Veteran

I just wonder if there is some sort of 3D driver control panel that enables the user to select things like texture filtering options, anti-aliasing levels, etc., ala desktop/laptop pc. I'm new to pocket pcs, so I'm not sure if this sort of configuration is done within a 3D application, in some sort of driver control panel, or anywhere at all. Could somebody clarify?

It would stink to have all these abilities like "free" FSAA available (w/MBX), when they can't be activated on command.