Dell 2408wfp vs Gateway FHD2400

Scott_Arm

Legend
I'm looking for a monitor to share between a PC and an Xbox360 or PS3. I don't really care about SD sources.

I've found some decent reviews on the Gateway FHD2400. Sounds like a great monitor, even if I wanted to do SD stuff, but I don't like that it's a TN panel with poor viewing angles. If I'm using this for a game console, it'd be nice to have good viewing angles for 2 player games.

Information on the Dell 2408wfp is scare. Should have better viewing angles, but I can't find any information on scaling. I really don't want 16:9 content stretched to fill 16:10. If I hooked up the xbox360 via HDMI, would it be running 1080p stretched vertically to fill the 16:10 resolution?

Any other suggestions?

Originally I was going to get an HDTV to hook up everything and the Wii, but since I don't want to pay for HDTV, I think I'll leave the SDTV as is and continue using that with my Wii and DVD player.

I bought the Dell 2408wfp. Seems nice so far.

Only problem I've had is resolutions over DVI. If I hook up the monitor via DVI there are many low resolution options available, but none of them are widescreen format. That only 16:10 resolution available is 1920x1200. My computer can't exactly handle rendering Bioshock at the native res. I was expecting I'd be able to make custom resolutions in the nvidia drivers and have the graphics card or monitor upscale to 1920x1200. For some reason it won't let me add anything.

When I switched over to VGA there were plenty of lower 16:10 resolutions available and the monitor upscales them fine. I'd really prefer to switch back to DVI if there's a way I can make it work.

I'm also searching for an ok monitor adjustment tool. I'm not interested in buying a color meter or anything. Most of the ones I find tell you to set contrast to 100%, but that's way too high on this monitor. I need something that requires a little more fine tuning.

Oh, and if you want to hookup a Wii to this thing, it looks ok, but you can't get it to maintain aspect ration in 16:9 mode. The monitor will squish the image down to 4:3. Must be an odd resolution that it doesn't recognize as 16:9. Fill looks ok even though it's stretching to 16:10.

I'm also searching for an ok monitor adjustment tool. I'm not interested in buying a color meter or anything.

Tip: Rent a color meter at a pro photography shop, or rent/borrow one from a print shop or graphics bureau.

Odd problem with your Wii, is that irrespective of input? (It should be, I guess, just shooting in the dark).

Tip: Rent a color meter at a pro photography shop, or rent/borrow one from a print shop or graphics bureau.

Odd problem with your Wii, is that irrespective of input? (It should be, I guess, just shooting in the dark).

I think I can only use the component hookup for the Wii with the monitor. If you use composite the Wii will only output an interlaced signal, I think. I'm assuming an interlaced signal wouldn't work.

Edit: According to Shifty Geezer, sounds like the Wii is using anamorphic widescreen and that's what's tricking my monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scaler on this Dell seems pretty good. I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy and it looks pretty great. I mean, you can see jaggies and everything, but it still looks good. Having a really colourfull display is fantastic for this game. Also tried out No More Heroes which looks good on a better display. MOH: Heroes2 has pretty shit graphics.

Also playing Bioshock and some Valve games on my PC and those look pretty good scaled from lower resolutions. Seems like a good buy.

I've noticed a bit of ghosting in fps games if you turn at outrageously high speeds. Otherwise I don't notice anything. It doesn't affect gameplay because it's very subtle.

2408wfp DVI Widescreen Resolutions

Quote:
"I bought the Dell 2408wfp. Seems nice so far. Only problem I've had is resolutions over DVI. If I hook up the monitor via DVI there are many low resolution options available, but none of them are widescreen format. That only 16:10 resolution available is 1920x1200."

Got two 2408wfp's this week. Attached one to a box with two 8800GTX's (SLI) and another box (my wifes) with a 7800GS. Both only had 1900x1200 as a widescreen option through the DVI. Analog offered many more widesceen resolutions. Dell XPS techs don't seem to be in the know on this one. Hoping for a fix. Just thought Scott_Arm would want to know he is not alone. The internet does not seem to have caught on to this problem yet.

Automatox

Quote:
"I bought the Dell 2408wfp. Seems nice so far. Only problem I've had is resolutions over DVI. If I hook up the monitor via DVI there are many low resolution options available, but none of them are widescreen format. That only 16:10 resolution available is 1920x1200."

Got two 2408wfp's this week. Attached one to a box with two 8800GTX's (SLI) and another box (my wifes) with a 7800GS. Both only had 1900x1200 as a widescreen option through the DVI. Analog offered many more widesceen resolutions. Dell XPS techs don't seem to be in the know on this one. Hoping for a fix. Just thought Scott_Arm would want to know he is not alone. The internet does not seem to have caught on to this problem yet.

Automatox

Yeah, it's a weird issue I wasn't expecting. I didn't even consider that VGA and DVI would offer different resolutions.

Still, I'm very very happy with this monitor. I'd prefer to use the DVI connector for my PC, but I'm very happy with the image quality using VGA. And the HDMI and Component inputs are working great for my 360 and Wii respectively. I do wish you could change the display setting for widescreen mode independently for the inputs. It would be nice to have my PC and 360 set to aspect and my Wii set to fill because of the Wii's weird resolution issue.

Do either of you have any problems with "Input Lag" (NOT Response Time...), color issues on white backgrounds, back-light bleeding on black backgrounds, fuzzy or weird text, humming noises, or any other problems that seem to have plagued these monitors?

Are yours Rev. A00 or A01? If anyone else responds here with comments on their monitor(s), please include your Rev., as Rev. A01 seems to be out now.

Here is a post I just added that explains latencies:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47846

I would like to purchase one of these monitors in a couple of months, but I'm weary from all the problems being reported.

Back