Defense Grid 2 - issues with UltraWideScreen Gaming

MfA

Legend
Holy shit this game is a mess. It doesn't adapt the UI correctly on ultrawide monitors (DG1 just aligned the top UI elements on the left and the bottom element centered and called it a day ... DG2 tries to scale it to fill the entire width, which of course causes the UI to become fuck huge). The first patch they put out just makes the game crash non stop. The launcher is a gaudy mess. Ehh, I guess I'll just look at the money spent as tipping them for DG1.

Doesn't mean there isn't a good game just waiting to be played after they've got over the launch issues.

Once it's sorted if you and others here are up for it, add me on Steam (bigtabs) and we'll get a DG2 B3D war going on the friends leaderboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they reverted the patch BTW. New download and it's back to being stable.

PS. I suck too much to want to play this competitively :)

PPS. oh we have a build with debug asserts enabled now, cool.

PPPS. as for why I didn't tell them about it in beta. I'll consider doing free QA when developers give me the fucking tools for it ... give me a bugzilla, let me see the priority of bugs and I'll consider it. I will not shout at a brick wall together with hundreds of other people while some fucking volunteer on the forum tries to aggregate a buglist to prevent duplicates. It's moronic, it's aggravating and it's impolite on the part of the developers to create this kind of system. I'll have no part of it, I'll play these games on release and hope they got the bugs out ... if they didn't I'll give them flack for it.

Ah, it's all good fun really.

For me Defense Grid is all about improving my scores on the particular maps I enjoy. Other people on my list are usually just markers for what's possible. Plus my poor retired old Dad is infatuated with the series and its very enjoyable one-upping each other every now and then.

As for the mod who lies in my topic, I was quite serious this release is on a whole different level in far more ways. I'm pretty sure they lost a couple good devs. Or they got extraordinarely lucky with DG1.

For me Defense Grid is all about improving my scores on the particular maps I enjoy. Other people on my list are usually just markers for what's possible. Plus my poor retired old Dad is infatuated with the series and its very enjoyable one-upping each other every now and then.

It's great fun when I see myself close or sometimes beating Bigtabs on my friend list :)

We have like 50-50 map lead between us, but the last map from original game kills me. I mean I do finish it with gold, but your score is quite something on it!

That map was my favourite to play by a long way for ages and ages. For a month or two it was the only map I played in the game. I had the rank 1 score for it for a while, until the new breed of players arrived who use the bouncing strategy which I've never been bothered to properly learn.Good luck beating me on that one! :D

I'm happy they've taken steps to remove the bouncing tactic in DG2, though I don't blame people for doing it. It was easily the best strat if you can pull it off.

If you want a tip though.. Concentrate fire on the mid-right island from very early on, where you can have them enter and leave that island several times... then buff the upper mid island, routing them slowly round a longer and longer path with cheaper towers until most of the map is used. Eventually you will have a red kill zone on the mid-right, upper-mid, upper-central, and to some degree the entrance island, in that order of construction. I seem to remember having a bunch of meteors on the lower central island.

The main principle in DG1 (on the more open plan maps) is not primarily to make the longest path with cheap towers, but having a red kill zone that they walk through the most times possible.

Have you got DG2 yet Lightman? I have, but my Steam drive is on it's way out so I probably won't be playing it for a bit yet. You can get a headstart ;)

I'm loving the graph thing on the top right for seeing how you're doing. That's going to make improving more fun.

Bouncing the same thing as juggling? Only in competitive mode are you not allowed to sell towers ... but the most competitive players are jugglers, so I don't quite understand the naming of that mode.

I'd have preferred if competitive mode just removed selling and left the other options intact (tower items and orbital cannon).

Yes juggling is what I meant.

Personally I didn't enjoy the juggling experience, so now I can compete for ranks with others playing the way that I enjoy playing. I would welcome having a juggling-allowed ladder alongside the non-juggling one.

I've yet to play the game all that much really. I only had a few goes in the beta when it was just two maps. Spent a while trying to figure out the map editor and shelved it as it wasn't in a good state at that point. God knows if I'll be into this as much as I was the first.

I always tried to do the best I could without juggling, it seemed like cheating or exploiting to me.

I juggled my first win on last map and had very good score, but that was before Steam cloud saves could save my saves (yes I went a bit wild here)!
Later I beat the map with middle island as kill zone where aliens went through it 4 times on the way to and from power cubes. Timing and initial tower placing is crucial though and the map takes a lot of time to beat, but I love challenge!

On the DG2 topic I do remember donating some money on Kikstarter, but now I don't remember how and if they should send me e-mail with code or I just gave them my money and have to buy game normally. Worst, I can't find any e-mail confirmation now and I might have deleted it accidentally ..

I will get DG2 soon, maybe even this weekend, but I'm quite busy at work with little time to play games lately.

IME the old game was balanced mostly about gold being possible without juggling on hard ... but I am completely unable to gold on competitive hard after mission 7 or so.

I really wish they would allow tower items and orbital cannon in competitive ... just playing ez mode now (normal).

I don't blame your Dad, I am totally infatuated with it too.

I am currently trying to achieve Gold Medal in the 3rd map of the Story mode, but I can't. 4 or 5 buggers always manage to escape, and yo ustart with very little resources -Normal difficulty level-.

My record in that map is 150.000 points.:cry:

The version I am playing is Xbox One's and I had to buy it 'cos I loved the first game on the Xbox 360. It's tremendously addictive. I had never played a tower defence game before when I got the Xbox 360 version back in October 2013.

No you don't!

I just blindly assume that people at B3D are old fogies like myself. Hearing that one of ussss has never played a TD game before made me wonder.

Really it's an unfair question, especially without explaining why I'm asking.

No you don't!

I just blindly assume that people at B3D are old fogies like myself. Hearing that one of ussss has never played a TD game before made me wonder.

Really it's an unfair question, especially without explaining why I'm asking.
:smile: Well.... I would be 15 on Mars, I think? -time there is different- I have a 27 years old sister and she never played a Tower Defence game either. I've played about everything -my first gaming device was the PC, and my first console ever was the original Xbox-, but I never knew a single classic Tower Defence game that made history.

Defence Grid Awakening was the first for me, and a truly great discovery. Defence Grid 2 is even better, imho. I am on the 4th scenario of the campaign and I couldn't stop til I got the gold medal in the 3rd scenario "Suspension".

Easier said than done. I just use the Boost Towers to place towers behind the first line of fire, so they can handle the baddies undisturbed. I hope that's a good strategy, but they don't stall when shooting -'cos of the difference in height- so it seems to work.

Back