Deceptive adbanners on B3D

Ingenu said:
Weird...
I guess you don't use Firefox, since I never have any problems around here...

Actually I'm using Firefox. That blocked popup was my first ever from B3D.

Dave Baumann said:
And, personally I find it an extremely selfish point of view to be blocking ads when they are the only means of a sites support - how much do you lot pay for this resource? Not a bloody bean, thats how much. And then you complain about the few meagre ads that there are here - as I said, you have an easy life here in comparison to other sites and the level of ads, pops, text link ads in the middle or articles and yet you choose to whine about the two banners on the forum (that are in easy to ignore locations, unlike other forums).

If you can't be arsed to even allow us these to support the site, then theres a simple solution - we'll close the forums.
What's the difference between blocking ads and mentally ignoring them? The latter is more annoying...
If you were facing problems funding this site, there would be enough people willing to donate, including me. But I certainly wouldn't start clicking on ads.

dizietsma said:
Here at work the ad banners turn into a warning saying the Internet should only be used for work puproses.
I'm glad browsing forums is part of my work :D

london-boy said:
Never ever had a pop up from Beyond3D in 4 years i've been here. I think.
I've had some, mostly concentrated to a short period several years ago. ...Except for just now, when a scumware popup kidnapped the topmost window and produced this faked error window:
Scumware.gif

I'm pretty sure it came from B3D's bottom adbanner spot, because it happened right when I refreshed a forum, and there was no visible banner down there.

Dave Baumann said:
As for the type of ads - we have very strict instructions for our agencys that no pops-up/unders are allowed (something that is very well adhered to, unlike most other sites) and no multimedia ads. When a new set comes through, sometimes something will sneak through but it usually get acted upon quickly.

You may already know this but there is this one annoying ad with a clown fish, Nemo?, out of water. When the ad first loads it yells out "Help me" in a muddled fashion. When I first heard this I thought it was a system alert, but I don't have any sound byte that comes close to it. Eventually I found out it was the ad since it had the words "help me" on it. Just to let ya know. ;)

It's happened to me on a number of occasions.

drpepper said:
You may already know this but there is this one annoying ad with a clown fish, Nemo?, out of water. When the ad first loads it yells out "Help me" in a muddled fashion. When I first heard this I thought it was a system alert, but I don't have any sound byte that comes close to it. Eventually I found out it was the ad since it had the words "help me" on it. Just to let ya know. ;)

It's happened to me on a number of occasions.

That one got me twice, thought my computer was having "issues" before i noticed what it was..

Donations just seems rather out of place (for lack of better words) for what I have come to know as a really professional looking site (with intelligent individuals in the site's forums as well). I had visited this site (rather infrequently) when "Reverend" ran it and back then I have never viewed Beyond3D as anything more than a site with a hobbyist nature. Dave Baumann's news postings and his and his staff colleagues' contents (reviews/interviews) are also notceably different from back then - they all just read as being being professionally written (gosh, all the B3D staff aren't "professionals" at what they do here, are they? :) ). I have never been able to get rid of my own personal view of associating "donations" with anything negative when it comes to websites. Apologies if the following comes out the wrong way but if a site were to "depend" on donations to either survive or make money, then that site's owner would be ignoring something that may be more important than providing us with interesting and informative content.

Perhaps subsciptions may be an alternative. Or maybe have "payable content" (but only for certain selected content, which Dave Baumann would need to choose/determine carefully; certainly previews/reviews of the latest next gen hardware should not qualify as this site would lose a huge audience.

Of course, I would absolutely not mind if things stay the way they are! :)

Ghost,

The way i look at it is this: Dave is a guy just like me and most of the people here. He's a normal guy with his job, who happens to own this site. Personally, i would find it very difficult to keep this amazing site opened, keep the forums in an acceptable state, write LONG articles on new architectures coming out every so often, which involves a lot of testing too...
ALL FOR FREE!!
Personally, i would never even bother, and i think it's commendable that someone would do all this out of his own enthousiasm.
In the circumstances, if Dave ever had problems in keeping this site the way it is simply for lack of funding, it would just be a shame. It will never happen since hundreds of people around here would sign up right now to pay for the site, either through "donations" or through subscriptions, or anything to keep the site running.
I do understand that pride comes into the equation, but at the end of the day, losing the site would be a much bigger shame than that.
As long as he doesn't charge per-post, i'm happy!! :LOL:

I hope Dave forgives me for being so poor.
My mum certainly wont give out money over the net and I don't have a job so I can't afford to pay. :(

I know it doesn't help, when I do get a job I hope someone will remind me to pay up because I would have no problem doing so. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
I hope Dave forgives me for being so poor.
My mum certainly wont give out money over the net and I don't have a job so I can't afford to pay. :(

I know it doesn't help, when I do get a job I hope someone will remind me to pay up because I would have no problem doing so. :)

Well obviously i don't think we should lose on the people who can't possibly pay. That's why donations seems to be a good idea. Subscriptions would be nice, but i wouldn't want non-subscribers to lose too many privileges.

I'm sure someone with some time could come up with a good system for this.

The system is okay as it is, it would just be nice if Dave could get the ad providers to use less non-intrusive ones here. But I don't know if that possibility is given.

_xxx_ said:
The system is okay as it is, it would just be nice if Dave could get the ad providers to use less non-intrusive ones here. But I don't know if that possibility is given.

He said he does, which is what we've been also saying in this thread. I never got one pop-up or all that crap you get from this site...
At one point a few months ago i did get sounds though, but it stopped shortly after.

Ads are on a montly basis, so the lower revenue spin ads are also often refreshed on a monthly basis. Its usually at the start of a month where incorrect codes can creep in.

Ghost of D3D said:
Donations just seems rather out of place (for lack of better words) for what I have come to know as a really professional looking site (with intelligent individuals in the site's forums as well). I had visited this site (rather infrequently) when "Reverend" ran it and back then I have never viewed Beyond3D as anything more than a site with a hobbyist nature. Dave Baumann's news postings and his and his staff colleagues' contents (reviews/interviews) are also notceably different from back then - they all just read as being being professionally written (gosh, all the B3D staff aren't "professionals" at what they do here, are they? :) ). I have never been able to get rid of my own personal view of associating "donations" with anything negative when it comes to websites. Apologies if the following comes out the wrong way but if a site were to "depend" on donations to either survive or make money, then that site's owner would be ignoring something that may be more important than providing us with interesting and informative content.

Perhaps subsciptions may be an alternative. Or maybe have "payable content" (but only for certain selected content, which Dave Baumann would need to choose/determine carefully; certainly previews/reviews of the latest next gen hardware should not qualify as this site would lose a huge audience.

Of course, I would absolutely not mind if things stay the way they are! :)

Hiya, Rev. I think a new ID might not have been a bad idea, but the name, and the post history, on this id is just way too obvious.

And if it is you, Reverend, as I really suspect it is, you should think about why as a grown adult you chose to (badly) hide behind a new account on the forums you used to love. It appears to bring a snide level of underhandedness, dishonesty and two-facedness that this place really doesn't need.

Ghost of D3D said:
I had visited this site (rather infrequently) when "Reverend" ran it and back then I have never viewed Beyond3D as anything more than a site with a hobbyist nature.
Well, I'm amused.

Sorry, Dave & Co.
I saw a couple of crappy ads such as the one that spawned this thread (I was shocked too) and immediately sought out the culprit and have been blocking that firm for years now.
I don't think anyone is contesting the need for revenue generation of some sort, but in the case of ads, I think the argument is against having ads for utter shite on a respected site.

Ghost of D3D said:
Sorry but I'm not "Reverend". Sounds like you guys know him well.

Oh? Huh. The timing of Rev's last post vs your first (March 8 vs March 9), the name (ghosts used to be someone, right?), the constant John Carmack references, the references to the B3D days of yore. Well, what a co-inky-dink.

Quartermaster Clerk: One Swedish made penis enlarger pump.
Austin Powers: That's not mine!
Quartermaster Clerk: One credit card receipt for Swedish made penis enlarger...signed by Austin Powers.
Austin Powers: I'm tellin you baby, that's not mine!
Quartermaster Clerk: One warranty card for Swedish made penis enlarger pump...filled out by Austin Powers.
Austin Powers: I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby!
Quartermaster Clerk: One book...."Swedish Made Penis Enlarger Pumps and Me: This Sort of Thing is my Bag, Baby!", by Austin Powers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back