Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

First trailer looked a bit like Unreal Engine 4 to me. Great visuals and cutscenes can be created with this engine.

Mads rendered with lighting but without textures
CzdvQzwUoAArRn6.jpg

Will be interesting to see how Horizon will compare to games that use their own engines like Red Dead 2 since Guerilla Games engine apparently is good for open world games.

Rockstar made many open world games, I have no fear that their game will look awesome [as was already shown in RDR2 teaser] and have lot of gameplay systems active at all times.

Wait.. That's not how indie studio looks...

Kojima personal money? Fat check from Sony? Already have lots of investors?

Or all of that was rendered in decima! Or he mixed some of it with decima?

Or all of that was rendered in decima! Or he mixed some of it with decima?

I'd go with Sony dropping a ton of money to buy exclusivity from Kojima.

While I like Kojima, it'll be interesting to see how he does without a production company overseeing his work and attempting to keep him on schedule. If Sony don't keep a tight rein on him, I think this whole thing might back fire on them. Without oversight, I think Kojima has a chance to pulling a Duke Nukem 4ever, and keep pushing off the release of his game until he thinks it's perfect (which it won't ever be).

Just imagine if Kojima had been given the time to make MGS V, "perfect" with the perfect ending. I think 5-10 years from now, we'd still be waiting for the release of MGS V - The Phantom Pain. As it is the MGS V that we ended up getting was obviously only half finished, and possibly even less than half finished. It ended up being one of my best games of 2015, and one of my worst games of 2015. So disappointing, but so fun up until the disappointment hit when I realized that so little of the game was actually finished.

If Sony are smart they'll have put in strong contractual obligations for Kojima to meet deadlines. Then again, that's one of the reasons he had a falling out with Konami, so they are probably at the whim of Kojima as to whether he'll deliver in a timely manner or not.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Maybe that's why Kojima hired a guy from Konami as his boss (or something, I forgot).

He himself doesn't believe can release a game without someone else doing the boss stuff, schedule stuff, etc

While I like Kojima, it'll be interesting to see how he does without a production company overseeing his work and attempting to keep him on schedule. If Sony don't keep a tight rein on him, I think this whole thing might back fire on them. Without oversight, I think Kojima has a chance to pulling a Duke Nukem 4ever, and keep pushing off the release of his game until he thinks it's perfect (which it won't ever be).

Just imagine if Kojima had been given the time to make MGS V, "perfect" with the perfect ending. I think 5-10 years from now, we'd still be waiting for the release of MGS V - The Phantom Pain. As it is the MGS V that we ended up getting was obviously only half finished, and possibly even less than half finished. It ended up being one of my best games of 2015, and one of my worst games of 2015. So disappointing, but so fun up until the disappointment hit when I realized that so little of the game was actually finished.

If Sony are smart they'll have put in strong contractual obligations for Kojima to meet deadlines. Then again, that's one of the reasons he had a falling out with Konami, so they are probably at the whim of Kojima as to whether he'll deliver in a timely manner or not.

Regards,
SB
But is his track record really that bad?
It is not like his previous games took ages to be released. Phantom Pain is an exception, a large portion of its development included research on the Fox Engine to make it suitable for what he wanted to do. Then it is the fact that for the first time he was making a hugely ambitious open world game which included a constant online component that persists 24h for every player and gets upgraded with content and events all the time. The online component and weapons mod system feels almost as deep and complex as Gran Turismo/Forza Motorsport's car modification and online service. In terms of gameplay it has lots of meat with the single player campaign co-existing with the online component in order to get the most of it. He took a lot more on his shoulders compared to other Metal Gear games. It was no longer the story driven linear game, but the open world game that due to criticism tried to compensate for the cut-scenes by adding a lot more gameplay. He had to meet the expectations of gamers who experienced other AAA open world games.
How big was his team btw?

Koijma Productions is located in the office complex building that faces the Sony HQ across the street, so...
One of my ex-colleagues is now working there, this time most of technical heavy lifting have been already done by Guerrilla, they can concentrate on making the game contents as polished as possible while cutting development time.

Maybe that's why Kojima hired a guy from Konami as his boss (or something, I forgot).

He himself doesn't believe can release a game without someone else doing the boss stuff, schedule stuff, etc

Or people doing the programming, graphics, writing, sound, game design, level design, UI, etc....

Konami's Kojima productions have released quite a few games. However, they seemed to have problems making larger games and products (like MG Revengence) without Kojima managing in detail. Also, the Fox engine probably took quite a bit longer than expected (just like every software ever except the COD games).

Konami's Kojima productions have released quite a few games. However, they seemed to have problems making larger games and products (like MG Revengence) without Kojima managing in detail. Also, the Fox engine probably took quite a bit longer than expected (just like every software ever except the COD games).

ah i remember that!
kojima keeps saying that he took "hands off" approach to MGR. Then MGR got into development hell. Then they contracted it to platinum.

I wonder if the use of Decima will put the PC version at risk. The current iteration of Gorilla's engine is obviously only used for PS4. How much work is it going to require to expand the engine to target PC too?

MGSV was a really good job, from my experience at least.

PC was officially mentioned only once by Sony on the day the Kojima partnership was announced, and all traces of that mention were scrubbed from the web afterwards. Decima engine was picked much later, so I presume PC port is not happening anymore.

Back