Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

Stranger Things adopt the "kojima feels" (and many other video games aspects) properly. Heck, it felt like a movie made by Kojima haha

Except Stranger things was entirely straight forward and made perfect sense. No idea where you're getting that Kojima vibe from. To me, Stranger things felt more like the work of a Poltergeist era Tobe Hooper, or John Carpenter, or even Spielberg, albeit one without the shackles of a PG rating.

Maybe wrong place to ask, but I feel slightly bemused by all the talk about the focus on the engine being so crucial (as opposed to say art / technical direction). Does anyone know of any sites that have any form of detailed technical write up / comparison of commercial engines and analysis of exactly what makes it so impressive? It's fairly easy to get some details on the bigger engines like UE4, CryEngine , Unity etc. but even with those there seems to be a large amount of feature overlap to the point where it's difficult to draw comparisons between them. With Final Fantasy, Death Stranding and a fair few others all coming up with custom engines and making a big deal of them (or more accurately the fans of the games making a big deal of them) I do feel a little lost :)

Maybe wrong place to ask, but I feel slightly bemused by all the talk about the focus on the engine being so crucial (as opposed to say art / technical direction). Does anyone know of any sites that have any form of detailed technical write up / comparison of commercial engines and analysis of exactly what makes it so impressive? It's fairly easy to get some details on the bigger engines like UE4, CryEngine , Unity etc. but even with those there seems to be a large amount of feature overlap to the point where it's difficult to draw comparisons between them. With Final Fantasy, Death Stranding and a fair few others all coming up with custom engines and making a big deal of them (or more accurately the fans of the games making a big deal of them) I do feel a little lost :)

Well to start, Kojima didn't go for UE4, CryEngine or Unity when that was a possibility, so most probably Decima was a better fit for the game he wants to make. Additionally, Decima is being co-developed by Kojima Productions and Guerrilla Games, which share a single codebase. If you want to know more better watch this:

Last edited:
I guess Kojima has a picture of what he wants to achieve. So he has been looking for engine satisfying his needs. A shared team is ability to add missing features, fine tune existing ones.

@Sigfried1977 i should have write "kojima after his head get smacked a bit". yeah stranger things is much more coherent than typical kojima game.

for me the overall look/atmosphere, the camera work, the music, felt like a kojima. The gameplay mechanic looks like Silent Hills, and the monster looks like the last of us

Well to start, Kojima didn't go for UE4, CryEngine or Unity when that was a possibility, so most probably Decima was a better fit for the game he wants to make. Additionally, Decima is being co-developed by Kojima Productions and Guerrilla Games, which share a single codebase. If you want to know more better watch this:

I know by someome working for Quantic Dreams that UE 4 was the first try and it was decided to not use it. I don't know the reason...

Last edited:
The engine is good but the problem is that they also need programming engineers and there will be not many people on the marked which gained many years of experience with this engine.

Programming engineers are rather rare. Kojima Productions will be extremely dependent on GG.

Collaborating is not an easy task with compex game engines. But it can work.

In general, everything becomes a bit more difficult. It also depends on how much they have to change. With the Unreal Engine 4, they could have found a lot of people who have gained a lot of experience with it.

This applies not only to the engineers, but also to many other areas.

It's GG tech? Ok now I am really, really excited.

Not only this, Kojima tells they improve the physical based lighting of the engine and give back the result to GG. Watch the panel and the character shading looks much better in Horizon too. A little Kojima production technical team will work in GG headquater on the decima engine. It is a collaboration.

MGS 5 have one of the best photoreal lighting this gen...

Last edited:
Not only Kojima tells they improve the physical based lighing of the engine and give back the result to GG. Watch the panel and the character shading looks much better in Horizon too. A little Kojima production technical team will work in GG headquater on the decima engine. It is a collaboration.

And the most Lightweight.

Not only Kojima tells they improve the physical based lighing of the engine and give back the result to GG. Watch the panel and the character shading looks much better in Horizon too. A little Kojima production technical team will work in GG headquater on the decima engine. It is a collaboration.

In fact Death Stranding's lighting effects and the test BPR shots they showed at PSX looked extremely similar to the Fox Engine's demo revealed some years ago. To the point that I even thought the latter was indeed the Fox Engine :D They are transferring as much of their knowledge to the new engine to suit what Hideo Kojima wanted to do with his games. Which is great. Because now its like we ve got the best worlds of two amazing engines that will farther enhance future games.

But I wonder how much downgrade we will get in the final game's gameplay graphics from the trailer.
The up close details and the geometry look insane. The stone blocks look like separate pieces protruding geometrically and there are a lot. They didnt look like some form of normal maps. And the zoomed in wet dirt in the puddles also looked extremely clear with probably the most high res normals and speculars I have ever seen in real time graphics coming from a console.
I watched the 4k trailer on my TV and I cant believe that these visuals will be what we will be playing.

In fact Death Stranding's lighting effects and the test BPR shots they showed at PSX looked extremely similar to the Fox Engine's demo revealed some years ago. To the point that I even thought the latter was indeed the Fox Engine :D They are transferring as much of their knowledge to the new engine to suit what Hideo Kojima wanted to do with his games. Which is great. Because now its like we ve got the best worlds of two amazing engines that will farther enhance future games.

But I wonder how much downgrade we will get in the final game's gameplay graphics from the trailer.
The up close details and the geometry look insane. The stone blocks look like separate pieces protruding geometrically and there are a lot. They didnt look like some form of normal maps. And the zoomed in wet dirt in the puddles also looked extremely clear with probably the most high res normals and speculars I have ever seen in real time graphics coming from a console.
I watched the 4k trailer on my TV and I cant believe that these visuals will be what we will be playing.

Some details will be lost for sure...

Decima engine: this reminds me the Jak & Daxter engine (which was the best engine on PS2, yes it was, best looking platforming game...at 60fps!!!!!!) that was later used to make all the Ratchet and Clank games by another studio.

Now we have probably the best first party available engine on PS4, Horizon Zero Dawn engine, which is going to be used by another developer to make another console exclusive game on PS4.

The link between those 2 stories: Mark Cerny which has worked with Naughty dog at that time for Jak & Daxter and now technical producer on Death Stranding...

Yeah, the graphics on these non-interactive real time in-engine cutscene are really something else. The last time I saw something that impressive was with ND's non-interactive real time in-engine U4 reveal trailer...

oh, wait.

Some details are much more impressive than the PS4 Pro video of TLOU part 2...

It will be lost in the final game...

But at least it is on PS4 Pro not PS4...

Last edited:
By syncing the trailers up using the appearance of "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" and muting the second video, there are a number of instances that belie coincidence.

Spontaniously I though Neemus is actually the baby, and the doll is some kind of synonym. I felt the babies face had some face shape and twitching similar to reemus, and then there is the cross-scar on the belly. The baby has one eye open, the puppy tries to, but can't really, like an imperfect copy.

Guillermo has a scar around the head, like Frankenstein's Monster.

I like it. :)

Back