Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

New details from polygon:
More here

"We finally have enough manpower enough to put out this teaser and do these experiments, these tests I want to do," he said. However, Kojima wouldn't say what game engine his team has settled on. After a worldwide tour of video game studios, and with the help of technical adviser Mark Cerny, Kojima said they'd settled on two possible game engines, one of which was used to develop Death Stranding's teaser.

"There's this planning phase, when I try to do some [technical] tests to see what can be done, and what can't be done," Kojima said. While "there are many fantastic engines all over the world," he said, Kojima Productions is looking for two specific things for its future games.

"One, something that is capable of portraying all the visuals of this world I want to portray," Kojima said. "I also want to have as many new game elements and unseen game elements, and I'm looking for something that makes that possible to achieve. There were many candidates and from all of them, we narrowed the list to two strong candidates. One of these engines was used for a teaser, the other engine we have been continuing to do mechanics tests on. The names I cannot disclose. But we have to settle down soon and decide."

They narrowed it down to two game engines.

It's good that they have at least got it running on a game engine in real time:), for some reason I almost forgot about a potential Neo enhanced version which should have a decent chance of hitting the trailer quality. Looks like they're going for ultra realism this time with a supernatural tone with a good actor such as Norman Reedus, the narrative will be strong in this one, consider me highly interested!

The moment of the show for me !

"I am back" and the Kojima chants were epic ! The trailer was fantastic, exactly the mystique and magic one expects from Kojima !

I'm just happy we get a new universe from Kojima, with no legacy and detached from that totally nonsensical MGS lore which I stopped trying to keep up with a long time ago. It all got so bloody confusing with these guys.

When Cerny is the tec director...it might be the Knack engine :)

KZ engine is a good bet, as they already supported another dev team (Until Dawn).

Or maybe Konami gives him his Fox engine back...

Given the Sony link Gorilla's engine is up for grabs? It's already been used for the teen horror game which I forget the name of.

Edit: oops. London-boy already dead that.

I wonder what engine this was running on, UE4? It seems to use taa
CShR7O.gif
Yes, this looks exactly like TAA neighborhood clamp artifacts. Grainy background (esp high/low luminance) + grayish foreground object = ghosting. Could be UE4 as they use nbhood clamp in their TAA (but so do many other engines). IIRC KZ:SF also used motion vector difference to mask out false reprojected data (-> this video likely isn't using KZ:SF engine).

Sweet mother of god the visuals in the new trailer are insane, apparently running 4k on the Pro too.
Word is KojiPro will talk about the new engine at the PSX panel so all will be revealed soon:).
The lighting, PBR and asset quality are definitely something else. I can imagine they push the graphics quite a bit more than your typical Pro enhanced games since this game is probably coded more with Pro in mind from the very start, then condense that to 900p on the OG ps4.
I'm absolutely intrigued by the surrealism, the whacky Kojima trademark sci fi theme and the all star cast. Just hope it doesn't take 5 years to complete.

Sweet mother of god the visuals in the new trailer are insane, apparently running 4k on the Pro too.
Word is KojiPro will talk about the new engine at the PSX panel so all will be revealed soon:).
The lighting, PBR and asset quality are definitely something else. I can imagine they push the graphics quite a bit more than your typical Pro enhanced games since this game is probably coded more with Pro in mind from the very start, then condense that to 900p on the OG ps4.
I'm absolutely intrigued by the surrealism, the whacky Kojima trademark sci fi theme and the all star cast. Just hope it doesn't take 5 years to complete.

Someone mentioned it's a modified Second Son engine, so from Sucker Punch.

I was blown away, so weird, so beautifull.

Shinobi from Gaf said it's GG's killzone engine, well it could be a highly modified and improved version of it. But seeing how crazy an open world game like Horizon looks, one could imagine how a linear or smaller scope game would look. Whatever engine it's running on tho, it's 4k and real time on the pro and that's good enough for me. And don't forget about HDR Koji:).

Back