Death Stranding [Kojima Productions]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Warchild, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

most probably yes, I've heard today that Kojima Studios is a independent company and Death Stranding is a timed exclusive

2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

whoa on the sony press-site, there are tons of amazing screenshots. too bad no direct mp4 video of the new trailer

OCASM likes this.
  3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

the "choppy" battle animation looks deliberate. probably to balance with gameplay "comfort"

4. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Game looks absolutely bonkers, really like it.
    Gameplay animation looks very close to what it was on MGSV, very deliberate choices made to make sure it reads well for player and feels responsive to play.
    Yeah, that looks incredible..

Clouds could be continuing the work we saw in Zero Dawn, now it seems they have proper depth with the rest of the scene and so on.
    I wonder if the weather system is made so that we can see storms brewing further away and try to adjust our routes accordingly..

#364 jlippo, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    ultragpu and chris1515 like this.
  5. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

The only thing that immediately stood out as not polished enough was the tendency of entire Norman Reedus model to get automatically shifted up/down whenever he passes over elevation changes. There are no physics and momentum calculations, he is glued to the contour of the terrain. It is bothering me much more when he's on a bike.

OCASM likes this.
  6. Sigfried1977

Veteran

My takeaway as well. People love to bitch about how Kojima is way too much in love with movies, but just about all of his games have truck loads of wonderfully responsive gameplay systems which are usually polished to a mirror sheen.
    I'm stoked for this thing. Art direction is bloody amazing as usual. Hope it'll be fine on my base PS4. Not too worried though. I've never felt like I got shafted so far. Especially not with Sony's exclusives.

#366 Sigfried1977, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    orangpelupa and chris1515 like this.
  7. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

There's definitely a strong emphasis on storm, rain and weather cycle to contextualizing the story. We see plants cycling through their lives on the go, even humans and animals too, so a believable realtime weather system is essential to tell the story. The way they render the storm is almost like Planet Earth.

8. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

Responsive doesn't have to mean robotic. MGS2 animation was much more fluid than DS's.

milk likes this.
  9. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

I am more bothered with the camera location. How the hell can the player see where to go in this Gif ? Same against the boss when he runs away from it. Half the time you can't even see yourself, because of the camera location.

That looks nice and all, but most of those gameplay clips don't seem very much playable.

BRiT likes this.
  10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

What do you mean? Most likely you can control the camera like you did in MGSV.
    In the video the demonstrator was choosing certain angles deliberately to showcase certain details for the sake of the trailer.

milk likes this.
  11. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Pretty sure the camera is entirely user controlled. The angles were chosen for effect, not for convenience. As for shifting bodies: if that means having snappy controls I'm more than willing to pay a small price like that. Reminds me a little of Breath of the Wild in that regard.

Nesh likes this.
  12. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Not only do I highly doubt that, but the terrain Snake has to traverse in MGS2 is vastly less complex. It is either flat (seriousy cannot remember a single incline) or a ladder. It got a little more complex with MGS3 and MGS4, but MGS5 (which looks very similar to DS in terms of animation) takes both of their lunches with ease.

Games which control like games have a tendency to also look like games I guess.

Nesh likes this.
  13. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

They have full access through to HZD's character animation and have chosen not to use it, or at least make it behave differently to terrain.

14. goonergaz

Veteran

Lol, I know what you mean...but I’m pretty sure there’s a bit where you go down a ladder for like 5 minutes!

15. Garrett Weaving

Newcomer

Climb up actually. What a thrill... :)

goonergaz and Nesh like this.
  16. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

The worst part in the trailer (animation wise) is the combat, and that was in flat terrain.

17. milk

Veteran Regular

If you have to chose between being snappy but robotic looking or cinematic but sluggish, by all means go robotic. But there have been games out there that control very responsively and still animate well. Not that it's something easy to achieve, but it is not impossible.

OCASM and Scott_Arm like this.
  18. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Kojima said it was real time :

"Like my other games, all the cutscenes are played in real-time rendering"

19. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

We have a confirmation of the old theory that Norman's blood is hurting the BTs.

In PSX17 trailer, BT palm was burned a bit when it touched Norman's puddle of blood.
    [​IMG]

And now in Japanese trailer forest bossfight, each bullet is also coated with a bit of his blood [red bar].
    [​IMG]

OCASM likes this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Is it only his blood, or any of his fluids?

Malo and cheapchips like this.