Death Stranding [Kojima Productions]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Warchild, Jun 15, 2016.

1. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Does that mean PS4 @30, PS5 @60 ?

:wink3:

Cyan likes this.
  2. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I think it will, but not in the Hollywood way that's bizarrely expected of Kojima's work.
    I suspect he'll have as much to say about social media and how it's an enabler for increased polarisation.

I look forward to such themes being covered in a game featuring a magic ladder and a character called Die Hard Man. Oh, Kojima. <3

egoless, orangpelupa and milk like this.
  3. metacore

Newcomer

Yeah, kojipro is no stranger to 60 where hardware is appropriate, lowest hanging fruit in porting etc and especially with online mode they would consider this. I recall, hmmm, was that sebbi or somone else with lecture how 60fps helps with engedgment in online games.

4. PSman1700

Newcomer

Got that HZD feeling too, which isn't a bad thing at all. DS wont best HZD, another direction the the art that is.

A pc version isn't out of the question yet, i think it was going to be pc in the beginning?

5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Some themes in his games were "too much" for the average gamer to grasp. And I like it how he risks by provoking and challenging the comfort zones of the player deliberately.
    Often he makes the player do what he likes only to remind him that "he participated in something wrong and the game knows it".
    I dont think Kojima makes a plot that serves only as an excuse for the game. He literally respects the video game potential as a serious medium of communicating messages.
    Each of his games had many significant things to talk about. Especially MGS2 challenged the player's beliefs and made him sit in an "uncomfortable" situation where his personality and sense of identity were questioned.
    It was hard to follow if the player was just someone who wanted to sit and have mindless action. But the ending of MGS2 was like the video game version of Krishnamurti.
    MGSV's focus on language is not by accident. It is actually real how language affects perceptions, how it is used as a tool for submission and conquer, how it maintains culture, how it carries elements of history and past experiences etc etc. These are subjects covered by linguistic studies. They weren't invented by Kojima as pseudo-subjects to make a game.
    I dont think I ve ever played a game in my life other than the MGS series that blended imaginary plots and real subjects so well in an effort to also pass some significant messages.

Btw I think Death Stranding may be an amalgamation of all the ideas he ones had but he couldnt implement fully. For example it brings back moments of the Sorrow boss "fight". Killing in MGS3 had consequences and this one seems to do the same in a similar more expanded manner.

#345 Nesh, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    orangpelupa likes this.
  6. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

I don't know about having a physically accurate shading or technically good lighting but as somebody who has being gaming since more than 30 years I want to say that MGS5, even with its graphical flaws (mainly because being multiplat needing to run at locked 60fps even on consoles), is probably the most realistic game of this generation on consoles, while being open world-ish and running at locked 60fps on potato CPU.

Most others big games on consoles (The Witcher 3, Horizon, Far Cry; even Uncharted 4, TLOU or RDR2 to some extent) look like animated cartoons compared to MGS5 IMO. I am barely exagerating to make my point clearer.

The only game I have played that can compete with MGS5 realism in most areas is... Gran Turismo Sport.

Yep. 60vs~20 indeed.

7. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

Is it possible that KONAMI licenses MGSV development data to SONY and KOJIMA PRODUCTION ?

8. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

The last suggestion of a PC version predates the publishing deal with Sony.

9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Maybe yes pc, no xbox

egoless likes this.
  10. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

They sure are extremely talented alright, but without a technically sound engine their vision would be compromised. For Kojima to go on a world tour for the perfect engine is reason enough for it.
    The combat looked underwhelming I agree but at least it doesn't take Sam 5 seconds just to pick up a cup, 10 seconds to get on a horse. And even if we compare them in cutscene the ones in here looked world apart in asset quality, animation and effects.

11. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Few seconds of boss battle footage.

vspectra, Nesh and Shortbread like this.
  12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Decima engine, huh? The game looks absolutely nuts. One of the best-looking games I've ever seen.

The art style and characters look like a movie. I remember the hype around facial animations like that of Kara by Quantic Dream, and I never liked that, it didn't look real nor convincing to me. But this?? It makes Kara and so on like a joke. Gosh....., my hats off to Kojima.

p.s. it seems like the trailer has broken all the videogames trailers records. Perfect game for PS5, imho

orangpelupa and ultragpu like this.
  13. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

[​IMG]
    Yeah gpu particle, lit particle, volumetric fog and cloud are fucking nuts in this game.
    Imagine a new Killzone game returning to its dark and gritty roots, this is what we should've gotten in SF.

Nesh, orangpelupa, milk and 3 others like this.
  14. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

but we don't know yet if all cutscenes are real time.

15. milk

Veteran Regular

Coming from Kojima, we practically DO know.
    Has the guy ever not used real time cutscene in a 3D game even once, btw? Legit curious now.

London-boy likes this.
  16. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

we never know, things change !

War has changed

ultragpu, AlBran, Nesh and 3 others like this.
  17. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Kojima himself is always fully real time.

Karamazov and orangpelupa like this.
  18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

He did. That massive shootout scene on Prague river in MGS4 was partly shown in FMV during some parts.
    [​IMG]

orangpelupa, OCASM and milk like this.
  19. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Never mind the cutscene, some of the gameplay shown here look even more impressive such as the gif with all the particles and this one.
    [​IMG]

20. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Very small parts. The cut scenes in general were made in real time and you could test it with the controls.