Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

playable Michael Bay movie
Don't really like that comparison, though I know you mean in cinematic scope :) Firstly the camera work are a lot of slow pans and focus on the action as opposed to Bay movies with super-fast action panning to hide the detail, and secondly you don't know WTF is going on in Death Stranding because it's so out there in concept, where with Bay you know exactly whats going on but it's so damn stupid and illogical, it's still a WTF moment.

You don't know what you're getting because you've only seen movies ;) It's wonderfully bonkers though, at this moment I'm more interested in just seeing the movie play out.

Don't really like that comparison, though I know you mean in cinematic scope :) Firstly the camera work are a lot of slow pans and focus on the action as opposed to Bay movies with super-fast action panning to hide the detail, and secondly you don't know WTF is going on in Death Stranding because it's so out there in concept, where with Bay you know exactly whats going on but it's so damn stupid and illogical, it's still a WTF moment.

Just to be clear, he's not calling Death Stranding a Michael Bay movie. He's saying Western devs make Michael Bay movies as games and Kojima does not.

Just to be clear, he's not calling Death Stranding a Michael Bay movie. He's saying Western devs make Michael Bay movies as games and Kojima does not.
Oops, yeah you're right. Completely misread that :oops:

That's what I'm loving about Japan: give a big Western developer a huge budget and you get a playable Michael Bay movie. Give the same amount to someone like Kojima and you get ... well, who knows what the fuck you're gonna get, but it looks delightfully bonkers.
To be fair, it's not about being Western of Eastern. Most japanese studios are creating playable anime, with all their own set of clichès. Creative people are rare everywhere in the world. The West also has Double Fine, Media Molecule, Irrational Games, ThatGameCompany, etc.
I even think it's not a matter of lack of creativity. Its lack of taste. Give a person with a shallow repertoir and mundane world views a greencard to go wild and crazy, and off the beaten path, and they come up with stuff that doesn't feel right or hold together. It takes a lot of artistic finesse to step outside of tried and true formulas and create your own that is still solid and coherent.
Let's not forget Kojima's first games were very much playable Michael Bay movies with just a sparkle of anime/manga scifi-fantasy sparkled on top, so... there's all that...

To be fair, it's not about being Western of Eastern. Most japanese studios are creating playable anime, with all their own set of clichès. Creative people are rare everywhere in the world. The West also has Double Fine, Media Molecule, Irrational Games, ThatGameCompany, etc.
I even think it's not a matter of lack of creativity. Its lack of taste. Give a person with a shallow repertoir and mundane world views a greencard to go wild and crazy, and off the beaten path, and they come up with stuff that doesn't feel right or hold together. It takes a lot of artistic finesse to step outside of tried and true formulas and create your own that is still solid and coherent.
Let's not forget Kojima's first games were very much playable Michael Bay movies with just a sparkle of anime/manga scifi-fantasy sparkled on top, so... there's all that...
There's also publisher intervention. Once $$$$ is involved, marketing etc, it's tough. they make decisions for the developers too. It's rare for developers to get full creativity control over their own work. publishers aren't looking for very polarized games, they're looking to produce assets that are valuable to themselves. Art forms tend to be polarizing, for someone to love it, someone else has to hate it. Otherwise ti's mediocre entirely and no one talks about it. See a lot of games that just never get mentioned.

If you aren't willing to get hated on, you won't get loved either.

I know creativity can blossom everywhere. I also don't mind a playable Michael Bay movie (which was a very hyperbolic claim anyways) every now and then. Still, I'd say it's factually true that well funded works of Japanese developers tend to be a lot more crazy and unconvential. And it's simply not true that a guy like Kojima is exclusively unhinged when it comes to presentational values. The MGS games are full of weirdness in the gameplay department as well. Maybe it's due to the fact that the culture over there is just a lot more accepting of these kinds of things. Mech cockpit literally inside the mech's cock? - Nothing to see here, folks ;) The video games, the animes, the mangas - it's not just for the basement dwelling nerds over there. Hasn't been that way for many decades. The impetus to anchor your works in some kind of relatable reality for the sake of not shunning large chunks of your audience (which may or may not actually exist) is a lot smaller as a result of that.

"If you aren't willing to get hated on, you won't get loved either."

Very true. Kojima in a nutshell basically. The guy's unwillingness to give into any kind of pressure seems to have earned him all the clout and the fuck-you money he needs to do whatever the hell he wants.

I downloaded 4K video from YouTube, and yeah, this is nowhere close being a native or checkerboarded 4K game. Aliasing is clearly visible at any high contrast straight geometry line.

I downloaded 4K video from YouTube, and yeah, this is nowhere close being a native or checkerboarded 4K game. Aliasing is clearly visible at any high contrast straight geometry line.
Please could you share a few 4K pics with clear and long aliased edges ?

There's really something special about visuals in Kojima games that I can't really put my finger on. It's the same in Gran Turismo as well. There's just something about the shaders, modelling or textures or something that's more tangible than anyone else achieves.

I'd love someone with more understanding to really point out what the hell they're doing that's such a cut above.

In terms of stuff I can't articulate - It feels the same as the snowiness in MGS or the lashing rain in MGS2.

Video says it's captured from a Pro so it should all be real time but perhaps 1440p up-scaled to 4k?
PSX should be up in 3 hours so hopefully we'll get more info and maybe some actual gameplay from it:).

Back