Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

The game looks stellar, and gameplay options look very interesting.

It's fascinating to me that they have dedicated L1 and R1 only for maintaining balance of Norman Reedus. They took away one of the most used buttons in modern gaming and dedicated them to something so unique. Shame they did not allow Norman to fall, Kojima mentioned few times in the demo how balance is something that players always have to manage in rough terrain.

The game looks stellar, and gameplay options look very interesting.

It's fascinating to me that they have dedicated L1 and R1 only for maintaining balance of Norman Reedus. They took away one of the most used buttons in modern gaming and dedicated them to something so unique. Shame they did not allow Norman to fall, Kojima mentioned few times in the demo how balance is something that players always have to manage in rough terrain.
Well I can understand your enthusiasm for some aspects of the game. The realistic graphics are the best we have ever seen, the novelty-ish, the crazy stuff, the focus on cinematic stuff. But unfortunately most of the real gameplay shown (not the menus management and minigames 'gameplay') didn't look stellar at all. Mostly clunky stuff. We are far away from the impeccable MGS5 gameplay.

I think this game is going to be compared to RDR2, and not for the good stuff. Sorry if I am mostly negative (well I said positive stuff too !) but after MGS5 I was expecting at the minimum some great gameplay and as such I am disappointed by what I am seeing in that department.

We are far away from the impeccable MGS5 gameplay.
Yes, but in this game I don't expect stellar combat action. Big Boss and Snake were supersoldiers, while Sam is a porter.

BTW, great touch, uneven terrain and Sam's balance have impact on the aiming, you have to maintain balance if you want to have steady horizontal aim.

Well I can understand your enthusiasm for some aspects of the game. The realistic graphics are the best we have ever seen, the novelty-ish, the crazy stuff, the focus on cinematic stuff. But unfortunately most of the real gameplay shown (not the menus management and minigames 'gameplay') didn't look stellar at all. Mostly clunky stuff. We are far away from the impeccable MGS5 gameplay.

I think this game is going to be compared to RDR2, and not for the good stuff. Sorry if I am mostly negative (well I said positive stuff too !) but after MGS5 I was expecting at the minimum some great gameplay and as such I am disappointed by what I am seeing in that department.

Same feeling here about DS, when i saw the first trailer i was hooked, now i don't even consider the game at all anymore. Most realistic graphics, it's up there with others i suppose.
Instead i'm looking forward to ghost of tsushima, whenever that comes.

What I like is that Kojima has gone completely bonkers and not made a small twist on MGS or Call of Duty etc.
But at the same time, the game part of this entertainment bundle, must be fun, so I am a bit on the fence, but lets see when it arrives.

So far I have not seen anything in death stranding that would make me excited. Looks like it's some kind of empty world with only annoying stuff.

I liked mgs2/3/4. Disliked mgsv despite really trying to like it. I hope this isn't going to be even worse than mgsv. Maybe it is they are keeping things back or perhaps emperor has no clothes.

Kojima is the Tool of video games; Even when his games do things that are mediocre to bad, his biggest fans will rationalize genius. Having to constantly balance your player like a wii mini-game using L1/R1 does not sound like a stroke of genius. It sounds like tedious window dressing on a very vanilla 3rd-person control scheme.

Kojima is the Tool of video games; Even when his games do things that are mediocre to bad, his biggest fans will rationalize genius. Having to constantly balance your player like a wii mini-game using L1/R1 does not sound like a stroke of genius. It sounds like tedious window dressing on a very vanilla 3rd-person control scheme.

Yeah, that sounds crazy. Unless you are on something like a balance beam, balance doesn't require active and conscious management. Your body uses visual, touch, motion, equilibrium and spatial orientation along with autonomous motor output to your muscles to maintain your body over its support system (legs).

Shooting or moving across uneven terrain shouldn't mimic walking across a tight rope.

Last edited:
From memory I have experimented twice some similar need of balance mechanism. One in Uncharted 1 (with motion sensor), the other in Heavy Rain (L2 / R2). Both were absolutely awful experiences.

I don't know if having famous actors in a video game is worth it. It must eat a lot of the available budget...
The main appeal for Kojima is not to have those actors in his videogames. It's first to work with them. The game is just a good excuse to do so.

Why do you think he had Stefanie Joosten (Quiet) in his previous game ? That surely wasn't for the story.

Kojima is the Tool of video games; Even when his games do things that are mediocre to bad, his biggest fans will rationalize genius.
Perhaps you should be asking yourself why he has so many fans, and not why fans reationalize the stuff their idols do.

Yah, Geoff Keighley must have cost a fortune.
Not if they paid him in doritos and mountain dew.

The main appeal for Kojima is not to have those actors in his videogames. It's first to work with them. The game is just a good excuse to do so.

Why do you think he had Stefanie Joosten (Quiet) in his previous game ? That surely wasn't for the story.
She wasn't an actor before working on metal gear, so I don't really get your point here.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why he has so many fans, and not why fans reationalize the stuff their idols do.

Not if they paid him in doritos and mountain dew.

She wasn't an actor before working on metal gear, so I don't really get your point here.
Replace actors by human beings.

I don't know if having famous actors in a video game is worth it. It must eat a lot of the available budget...

Their only involvements are being scanned and voice acting right?

Or they don't even do voice acting and it was done by other person?

Anyway, I think Sony have a hand on that. Sony is pretty big in movie business so surely they have lots of network / conn.

Back