Death of a graphics card

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Sxotty, May 30, 2008.

1. Sxotty

Veteran

So I had a x1900AIW that I bought right after ATI helpfully changed their warranty down.

A couple weeks after the warranty expired it had these crazy lines all over the screen and I was pissed thought it died. They were in a uniform pattern. Looked a lot like this, since it is a picture of them :) (That was begining of september last year).
    [​IMG]

Then everything went back to normal until yesterday.

I booted up and had these colored dots all over the screen (I did not take a picture of em). They were maddening and seemed to get worse over time. I turned off the computer for awhile in case it was heat issues, turned it back on and they were even worse.

I took the card out and put in a very sad old neutered x800 (the ones that had fewer pieplines).

The thing I was wondering is why did it fix itself previously, and is there any chance of it being useful again.

The crazy part is that this is the first Vcard I ever had die. And it was treated quite well, no over clocking, nice ventilation in the case. When I was younger I tended to be much harder on cards and they all laster forever, most are now given away to friends and family and still chugging along.

Oh another question, what are prices likely to do with the new cards coming out soon.

Sometimes I seem to recall the older generation gets cheaper before they come out to get rid of stock, then goes a bit up or stay flat for months after they arrive. I am not sure if this is an accurate memory though, but I will need something now as the x800 is outdated.

2. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

I can't answer your first question, but I can answer the second.

Yes, the prices will go down. Hell, the prices are pretty damn competitive right now! I saw a couple of 3850 for 100 bucks a few weeks ago, and the 8800GS is also 100 bucks. Don't get the 9600GSO though... if the price is more expensive than the 8800GS since it's the same card just rebranded. Right now, all the GSOs I see are more expensive. The 9600GT will no doubt come down even further in the coming months. You just have to keep your eyes peeled. My friend saw a 9600GT for 110, and it was gone within minutes.

Also, if you want to buy ATI cards, there are still a few companies with good warranties. I think “VisionTek” or “VisionTek Xtasy” offers lifetime for ATI cards. Palit offers 2 year warranty, and they're very helpful. Their prices are competitive and their cards use good parts from what I heard.

I've become a warranty whore after my very first video card died in my very first month of purchase. Sucks to be me. Now that the warranty's run out, my card started overheating. I said screw it and bought a new one. Don't buy from HIS.

3. Sxotty

Veteran

I am thinking Nvidia I have had an ati card for my main rig every time since 9500pro era, just b/c that was the way things were cheaper in a price/performance issue when I purchased.

Because of that I am just kind of itching to go other way.
    So

XFX =double lifetime warranty?
    EVGA=double?
    BFG=lifetime

Asus has a 3 year right? I was thinking of getting the 8800gt with NWN for 140 at newegg.

Fys had an evga for 129 but it is sold out :(

I guess I should wait until the ati/nv release their new cards, but it seems pretty darn cheap now.

4. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

I think only XFX offers double lifetime. EVGA offers lifetime. Mine's an EVGA.

I have the feeling the 8800GT will drop when AMD's r700 hits. I could be wrong though.

5. Sxotty

Veteran

XFX cards seem to have a reputation for being extremely noisy though. Newegg has one with a zalman cooler for 169, but there are no extras, and the ones with cheap single slot coolers are 129. I guess if I am waiting till the new cards come out though I will have more time to think about it :)

6. tacopaco

Newcomer

7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

The 8800GT are already on price-drop/clearance movements with all the mail-in-rebates going on. Here's an Asus Quiet 8800GT 512Meg card for $135 after MIR. And here's a Gigabyte Overclocked 512Meg 8800GT with NeverWinter Nights II included for $145 after MIR.

I think these 8800GT are better bang-per-buck than the 9600GTs.

8. Sxotty

Veteran

I seem to remember the 8800gt being a higher performer than 9600. Since they are about the same price it seems the 8800gt is a better deal. Though I also read that the 9600 is quieter.

9. Kyyla

Veteran

My gf's 8800gt is pretty damn quiet already.

10. Sxotty

Veteran

Brit that is the one I was talking about, thx for the link.

Gigabyte only has a 1 year warranty though so I think I will pass.

It looks like they all have the same zalman fan (the gigabyte, asus and XFX card).

Anyway I take it no one has any idea if my x1900 will magically come back to life again :).

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, I had the same problem with my old 9700 pro. I would just shut it down and restart it until the problem went away, then leave the computer on 24/7.

The problem seemed to show up most frequently when starting up the computer from a cold boot after it'd been off for a few hours.

Regards,
    SB

12. Sxotty

Veteran

Was it corruption like that or something else? If it was I might try the card out again before I throw it away...

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I had a similar issue with my 9700 pro a couple years back. I kept the card running for about a year after the problem started.

14. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Strike of luck I would say. Perhaps with a bit of luck again you might be able to use it for a short period of time, but I'd consider it dead. I had a harddrive that died once, and which I put away for a while, and months later I plugged it in again, and lo and behold, it worked. Although I for natural reasons didn't trust it, I used it as a "better than nothing" backup drive. Unsurprisingly, it re-died later.

15. Sxotty

Veteran

Not on the topic of the dead card, but I just purchased an 512MB 8800GT OC from BFG for $130 . Maybe I should have waited till the new ATI cards came out, but I got tired of waiting and it has a lifetime warranty at least.

I figure it is worth something to me to play now with it instead of waiting a month to play then.

PS.

I kind of wish I had a SLI mobo now so I could buy another later if they get even cheaper, but ah well :)

#15 Sxotty, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  16. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I doubt you'll be disappointed for $130. I paid $240 for my EVGA SC 88GT and don't regret it a bit. Buying the aftermarket cooler for ~$60 though, that I do regret. 88GTs just aren't thermally-limited, even at massive OC speeds.