Dear Media:

RussSchultz

Professional Malcontent
Veteran
Would you PLEASE stop putting up news flashes about "explosions heard in Baghdad"?

Like duh. Its not news anymore. And I don't care if its 3 or 5 explosions heard in Baghdad. The same thing happened yesterday, and it'll probably happen tomorrow. You don't have to go to Peter Arnett to have him tell us, either.

And, for Pete's sake, don't tell me "coalition forces are 50 miles from Baghdad" like its some sort of revelation from upon high!

Finally, quit harping on POWs and executions. That was so 2 days ago.

(p.s. feel free to use this thread to complain about stupid and/or annoying reporting.)

I want the media to stop concentrating on each and every individual person in our armed forces that is killed in battle or accidentally or whatever, and giving their family time to speak on the air.

While it's a good gesture, if the casualties start racking up when they finally enter baghdad, there's no way they can then show every single person on TV. It just wouldn't be possible with the amount of time, and it certainly wouldn't be fair to exclude some for others.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't remember those who died. But they shouldn't get an half an hour on 60 minutes either. It's just not feasible.

Natoma said:
I'm not saying that we shouldn't remember those who died. But they shouldn't get an half an hour on 60 minutes either. It's just not feasible.

Perhaps 15 minutes of fame would be appropriate...

I wish the media would stop showing that one angle of Baghdad and continually saying, "What you are seeing on the right hand side of your screen is Baghdad" Phew! Thanks for clearing that one up guys! I would never have thought that the same shot of those same stupid arches that we've seen for the previous six days was indeed the same place.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out when nothing is happening. You know, when you see a shot of a calm, serene desert, it's really hard to tell whether or not there is fighting going on...you know, under the sand or something.

OT: I noticed yesterday... and saw today as well that there is an American flag on the roof top of a building accross the street from one of their cameras that only seems to point in one direction in Bagdad. ;) Needless to say I found that funny. Iraqi intelligance is not watching CNN or they would have taken this away.

PS It is a small flag on what looks like an air conditioning unit on top of the building.

Dear media. Stop being such wimps and show us exactly what is going on in terms of human suffering. I dont need to know where and how many us troops are. I just need to know and see what happened after it happened. If that means not being embedded anymore so be it... We're not getting anything interesting from that phonevideo coverage anyway.

Realvideo looks better than that shit...

dear media, please show us the years and years of abuse that saddam has caused to his people. Please show us all the tortured people. Please show us the human shredders. Please show us the human shields. Please show us the military of iraqi dressing in civilian clothes. Please show us the tens of thousands of victims of this brutal regime. Please interview families that have lost members to saddams death squads.

After showing us all that, then show us the 100 or so civilian deaths caused by bombing military targets placed in heavily civilian populations.

later,

dear media, please show us the years and years of abuse that saddam has caused to his people. Please show us all the tortured people. Please show us the human shredders. Please show us the human shields. Please show us the military of iraqi dressing in civilian clothes. Please show us the tens of thousands of victims of this brutal regime. Please interview families that have lost members to saddams death squads.

After showing us all that, then show us the 100 or so civilian deaths caused by bombing military targets placed in heavily civilian populations.

Nicely said.

Well, I don't know what media you're watching, but I've seen quite a few different interviews with Iraqi's who have lost family members to Saddam's henchmen. I've even seen a couple of specials about the Iraqi Americans in the Detroit area who have signed up with the U.S. military to go back and help liberate their homeland, during which time they've recounted various despicable acts Saddam's regime has done towards the Iraqi citizens. I seriously doubt there are any pictures of the majority of Saddam's crimes that can be shown... I wouldn't expect him to allow the AP to take pictures while he has wild dogs tearing prisoners apart in front of the other prisoners. I also doubt that any camraman who got close enough to a soldier disguised as a civilian to take incriminating pictures lived long enough to send them back to his publisher. So in that respect, I think the media is doing a fairly adequate job, at least to the best of their ability. It's not as if the media is denying that such things have happened, and they've even reported it as hearsay, but without evidence I don't think they can do much more than that.

P.S. in case some of you are glued to network T.V. reports, you might want to flip to PBS once in a while.

Well, I don't know what media you're watching, but I've seen quite a few different interviews with Iraqi's who have lost family members to Saddam's henchmen. I've even seen a couple of specials about the Iraqi Americans in the Detroit area who have signed up with the U.S. military to go back and help liberate their homeland, during which time they've recounted various despicable acts Saddam's regime has done towards the Iraqi citizens. I seriously doubt there are any pictures of the majority of Saddam's crimes that can be shown...

Yes, I agree there has been SOME air time to this, but not enough and not on the major networks. PBS is great in some respects, and they are overall possibly one of the most unbiased news sources, but they just don't have the viewership for the masses to see this. How many fewer protesters do you think there would be if they aired those stories 10 times a day on the networks?

Back