Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Maybe time to ditch rasterizing and go path tracing. Portal RTX runs flawless and performance gets back with upscaling and frame generation. All these new rasterizing games are such power hogs and stuttering mess that i dont see any future going forward. And native rendering in 4K isnt even reachable in the lastets games on sub $1000 GPUs...
You're first with guessing RT might actually solve performance issues, give is cheap GPUs, and help with production issues. :ROFLMAO:

But then WHY risk those management people to release bad products although it will hurt their sales?
That's the part of the industry i fail to understand. They must be aware they shoot their own foot.

Not sure if it's enough to make management the scapegoat. Even if money is their only interest, the industry should have long learned it's better to delay a game and make it work before releasing it.
There is not unlimited money to finish the game in perfect shape, at some point the ROI of shipping what ever state the game is in, is better than delaying.

Cant get worse. 110FPS on a 7900XTX in 1080p:
But Portal RTX runs at 10 fps on a RX 6950, iirc. So it can, and does get worse with RT.
Remembering the profiler outputs posted here somewhere, we saw low occupancy and even register spilling. Deadly sins for a graphics dev, so even NVs in house studio does not do any better than all the others.

Besides, RT increases the demand on expertise in comparison to former rasterized approximation standards. It's not easier - it's harder.
So i don't see how it can help the problem of AAA games released with high minimum specs but still having performance issues. It's the opposite of that.

What makes me optimistic is Fortnite running at 60fps on Series S. That's a good sign future UE games might run fine. This way devs can outsource the growing demand on expertise.
But then i read how many engine tweaks, new features, and workarounds Epic did to make this possible.
And somehow i doubt other studios will do such optimizations too for their game. So i rather guess 30 fps is the AAA future even on a average gamers PC.
Maybe Epic can address all those specific needs. But even if, after some time they will have no more competition, and stagnation will happen no matter what.

That's why Dead Space is such a huge disappointment. I did not expect Frostbite to compete UE5 with LOD or lighting. But i expected fluid performance, similar to how id software still manages to impress (i hope).
Sadly this did not happen. Besides Epic and NV, nobody shows progress anymore. But just two companies is not enough.

Callisto Protocol was heavily praised for its technical side. People's issues with that game were fundamental game design aspects.

Also, since a lot of people make this mistake regularly - an engine does not determine demands, but what you do with it. Just cuz it's on Frostbite doesn't mean it should perform like some other game on Frostbite.
Of course a lot depends on how the game is designed artistically and how big the engine team iof the game developer is. Still the base engine makes a lot of difference. Many Unreal Engine games have had similar problems in recent years. In addition, the engine provides many tools or has certain features such as DX12 etc.

Maybe time to ditch rasterizing and go path tracing. Portal RTX runs flawless and performance gets back with upscaling and frame generation. All these new rasterizing games are such power hogs and stuttering mess that i dont see any future going forward. And native rendering in 4K isnt even reachable in the lastets games on sub $1000 GPUs...

Dead Space doesn't run much faster than some games that use ray tracing extensively. When I look at the performance/optics ratio Cyberpunk 2077 offers more per frame.

With DLSS 3 either way. Amazingly you get over 100 fps which is phenomenal for a game with these graphics in 2023.

I liked the Dead Space Remake so much that I played it a second time. That is unusual for a game that is 15 to 18 hours long.

The dramatic end feels preordained. The fates are inevitable. Maybe the same story about Isaac and the marker will still be told in centuries. Like a fairy tale. Isaac will go through the same agonies over and over again

Last edited:
An update came out for Dead Space a little while ago. What did I notice:
  • The poor VRAM management has been improved. The game needs less and the cutscene with the exploding Kellion ran much faster.​
  • The stutter when loading new areas is still present.​
  • Any suit level can now be selected in the shop.​

Yesterday I played Control again and the mood of the game is more depressing than Dead Space. The strange music, the brutalist architecture. It has a mood for me that I find oppressive and reminds me of earlier memories.

Last edited:
To be honest, I just never got into this series, as I think games about space stations can be boring. Even Alien got milked in a shitty way over the course of the franchise.

The game still has massive traversal stutter. The developers have not even really acknowledgied it's existence. I find that worrying.

If it stays like this it would be pathetic. A forever jerky unfinished game.

Last edited:
Finished this some days ago. I havent played the original since it came out, maybe Im not remembering correctly, but werent the enemies slower in the original game?

The first dead space, it was slower to ready your weapon, slower to aim your weapon and it was always a bit sluggish using your weapons (not terribly great responsiveness). So the enemies could be slower while still feeling like they were moving too fast for the player's ability to shoot them.

The remake tightened up the weapon controls making them more responsive and faster to ready. As a result the speed of the enemies was also increased so that it didn't become comically easy to take them out.

Regards,
SB

The first dead space, it was slower to ready your weapon, slower to aim your weapon and it was always a bit sluggish using your weapons (not terribly great responsiveness). So the enemies could be slower while still feeling like they were moving too fast for the player's ability to shoot them.

The remake tightened up the weapon controls making them more responsive and faster to ready. As a result the speed of the enemies was also increased so that it didn't become comically easy to take them out.

Regards,
SB

Ok, thanks. Haven´t played the original since it came out.

Back