Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by goonergaz, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It's worked out so well for everyone with CyberPunk 2077...

London Geezer and PSman1700 like this.
  2. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

It's for this reason that I own two copies of Deus Ex Human Revolution. Without knowing anything about it other than hearing of the legacy of first game, I bought the disc version for £10. Just from the intro music of the menu, I knew I was in for a treat, and as I played, the apparency of that treat grew. An hour or so in, I knew I'd underpaid. Within days, I bought the digital version.

I have a vague recollection of a PS+ version factoring into that too, so I might even, sort of, own three copies of that glorious game.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  3. goonergaz

Veteran

Outliners for the win

4. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Semantics ;)

5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

I think it's a very different standing between "buy a game at launch" and "buy a game at full price". The first almost suggests for people to not wait for reviews and make impulse purchases (and it's a shitty advice nonetheless), whereas the second is just a level-headed statement (probably a fact on most AAA titles).

Here's further clarification from John Garvin on that comment:

[​IMG]

techuse, London Geezer and Pete like this.
  6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

It makes sense for them to want highly rated and high return games. Its just odd that a game that was pretty well recieved with a 71 metascore and a 8.3 use rrating didn't get a sequel or even DLC. I think given a second chance it could have found a larger fan base.

7. techuse

Regular Newcomer

71 is fairly low by Sony 1st party standards.

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I mean I guess , I'm not into sony games much to me. Just saying it seems odd to kill a sequel that sold decently enough and has a high fan game. I mean Knack was a 54 and knack 2 was a 69...

Maybe sony thinks the team can be better used with a different ip ? But it seems a shame since So many of sony's games are deep into sequel territory now.

9. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Do we know if Days Gone sold well? And if so how many of those sales were at full price vs some type of heavy discount? I'm assuming the game must not have been that profitable to get a sequel pitch canned.

I believe the Knack games are the only 1st party games with a lower metacritic than Days Gone the entire generation.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nope, but as eastmen said above it's not necessarily about how well any one title does, it's the expectation Sony had of it and whether or not Sony felt the team could sell more of another game based on a different IP. And I can't state this enough, as somebody who really liked Days Gone, the post-apocalypse zombie-esque survival games are everywhere, I'd bet most of this is because Sony wanted Bend to come up with somethings new/fresh.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

No idea how it really did

https://twistedvoxel.com/days-gone-seventh-best-selling-game-2019/

Seems to have done decently

12. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Pete likes this.
  13. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Grace Saunders likes this.
  14. Grace Saunders

Newcomer

I'll cry a thousand raging rivers if Sony does not do a sequel. :(

goonergaz and snc like this.
  15. goonergaz

Veteran

It would rate quite a bit higher if it wasn’t so buggy at launch. The fact it got 71 is quite good considering the issues it had IMHO.

DSoup likes this.
  16. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I dont think we should blame people for buying the games on sale or relying on piracy.
    The bigger the inequality gap, the more people are struggling, the less likely they are willing to pay full price.
    €70 for a game is priced like a luxury item for a lot of people struggling with debt, all kinds of responsibilities and lack of time.
    On one hand we have an industry that requires a lot of money and effort to produce something great, and on the other we have people wanting to enjoy them but not living in the conditions that suit such an enjoyment.
    The economy doesnt help neither sides.
    It actually tends to reward the easy way, frivolous entertainment, "fast food" designed products more, which will eventually sacrifice a lot of the creativity of the talented people so it will feed consumers with low quality products, who are struggling with limited budget and time. Products are designed to attract people towards this kind of consumption.
    I am working as a 3D artist for mobile games, and I have to say that I am not enjoying what I am getting out there for people as lower risk products, nor the pressure that the developers of AAA products may be experiencing to meet the expectations of a very competitive, high risky industry that needs tenths of millions to break even.
    The economy is putting a lot of pressure on creative expression.
    And as the inequality gap increases, free to pay models, subscription based models, models exploiting wickedly behavioral economics to make people spend more time and money unconsciously are becoming more of the norm.