Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

I agree. Unlike first person shooters, or third person action games, the zombie-like post-apocalyptic genre is a little too niche to support two first party exclusives too close together without cannibalising sales. But they do look very different games to me.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to both for different reasons but launching any game near LoU2 would kill it's potential so I can see LoU2 coming out 3 plus months later

interesting part is, looking at the minimap while game play is happening: there are only a handful of red dots, to represent the world war Z worth of zombies. That probably means only a handful of those zombies in the mass are actually capable of killing you?, and the rest are just running at you. I could be wrong, maybe the packs of zombies are closer to zerglings, where they move in formation to relieve pressure on path finding, so perhaps there's only a few 'pack' leaders of the zombies, and they are the red dots, the the remaining zombies fill in?

Overall though, managing so many zombies is pretty impressive, it'll humble any player who thinks they can just gun their way out of the situation, which is a good change from the norm. All too often are players in situation where the only answer and best answer is to just gun your way out, good change here.

interesting part is, looking at the minimap while game play is happening: there are only a handful of red dots, to represent the world war Z worth of zombies. That probably means only a handful of those zombies in the mass are actually capable of killing you?, and the rest are just running at you.

Good catch. I wonder if this is a deliberate design choice where the dots represent the edges of the horde preventing an overwhelming red blob completely obscuring the map. I doubt it represents a few number of lethal zombies.

I look forward to seeing more of this game and hope there are stealth gameplay options. When the dude is walking about the roof, the zombies do not seem very perceptive to his presence and just collecting and expending huge piles of ammo which only slows these things down doesn't sound hugely engaging.

Good catch. I wonder if this is a deliberate design choice where the dots represent the edges of the horde preventing an overwhelming red blob completely obscuring the map. I doubt it represents a few number of lethal zombies.

I look forward to seeing more of this game and hope there are stealth gameplay options. When the dude is walking about the roof, the zombies do not seem very perceptive to his presence and just collecting and expending huge piles of ammo which only slows these things down doesn't sound hugely engaging.
Yea I started to notice this when
5:30 - 5:40. This was most apparent. There is a zombie that runs past him and starts attacking the barn as if he's already inside there, but he's clearly standing beside him and the zombie ran past him. That's why I was unsure. It's entirely possible that the game was entirely pre-alpha, and they worked this this demo together to showcase their vision, but had to make some short cuts to make it for e3 in time. The game did feel incredibly scripted, I think this E3 when the real game is revealed, we'll have a better idea.

Yea I started to notice this when
5:30 - 5:40. This was most apparent. There is a zombie that runs past him and starts attacking the barn as if he's already inside there, but he's clearly standing beside him and the zombie ran past him. That's why I was unsure. It's entirely possible that the game was entirely pre-alpha, and they worked this this demo together to showcase their vision, but had to make some short cuts to make it for e3 in time. The game did feel incredibly scripted, I think this E3 when the real game is revealed, we'll have a better idea.

They said the game was very early last E3...

What is this Bend Studio, where are they based?

What previous games have they done?

Looks similar to what the Uncharted and TLOU guys have done.

I'd never heard of them. If this is their first major game, I'm guessing the people have worked on other games for other studios and developers because the demo looked way too polished for first-timers.

I'd never heard of them. If this is their first major game, I'm guessing the people have worked on other games for other studios and developers because the demo looked way too polished for first-timers.

They did Syphon filter before and some PS Vita Game like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Resistance Retribution...

Hmm those games were so long ago.

How do they stay in business long enough to work on a big PS4 game?

They work since five years on Day Gone, it is not the same team at all... The last game was 2011... They are owned by Sony paying the bill...

Likely because uncharted was the best selling vita game.

And while there was a canceled project between uncharted and this, the team has historically been really small. It was ~45 people when I joined 3.5 years ago. It's now about 100.

I was not knowing there was a canceled project... Like your demo and the zombie crowd...

Last edited:
ps blog posted an interview that including some pics;

34465684123_02ee7e7c0c_o.jpg

34465683933_694de60d91_o.jpg

35108796172_5c288ae82a_o.jpg

This is shaping up nicely, looks very impressive. Did we get any news on release date windows? With TLoU2 being a no show that looks like it'll be 2019 :(

Depends on which team member you're talking about. A handful of them have proven experience from the PS Vita with such games as Uncharted or Killzone Mercenary.

Back