Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

However, Sony still likes money, and they're probably going to look at the PC sales to gauge interest. It's a game that's been on the Plus Collection for PS5 owners and now on the monthly Plus for the PS4 owners. It's also one of the very few titles that got a performance patch for the PS5, so it might be one of the most played games on that console.
I don't think the future of the franchise is set in stone.
so they will look how it sell on pc and if good maybe we will get dg2, just on ps6 premiere ! great

so they will look how it sell on pc and if good maybe we will get dg2, just on ps6 premiere ! great

It won't be Days Gone 2 on PS6, it'll be Days Gone Remastered.

Reactions: snc
A pitch for the sequel was refused back in 2019, which doesn't necessarily mean we'll never see said sequel come to life, by Bend or otherwise. It could be that Sony wanted Bend to assist other AAA projects to boost the PS5's first-year titles (probably Last of Us Factions) before greenlighting Bend to work on their own game again.

Yeah but since, and maybe because of, some main guys at Bend left... :/

For the Jason part, I agree...

This game was flawed in plenty of ways, but it was absolutely a solid base from which to build. If a sequel is just on hiatus, fair enough.

But it's a really shoddy way to treat the developers. They've been solid for many years, finally got to take a chance, had the kind of success that can be reasonably expected from the first entry of a new IP, and have been rewarded by being told they have to do some bloody donkey work on a lame remake of titles that have been and gone.

Reactions: snc
I want to add that the game was very well followed by the devs. Bug fixes, perfs enhancements, ps5 60fps patch,...
We don't know the full story but I really don't get Sony on that... Bend did a very good job, on a new ip... One of Sony strong point is the multitude of strong IPs. If they focuse only on 2-3, they will loose what make them attractive vs MS imo...

Last edited:
I want to add that the game was very well followed by the devs. Bug fixes, perfs enhancements, ps5 60fps patch,... We don't know the full story but I really don't get Sony on that... Bend did a very good job, on a new ip... One of Sony strong point is the multitude of strong IPs. If they focuse only on 2-3, they will loose what make them attractive vs MS imo...

I don't disagree but it's kind it's definitely redundant to have two post-apocalypse zombie-esque Its (The Last of Us and Days Gone) which I said way back before launch. Much like it was a redundant to have two racing sim franchises (Gran Turismo and DriveClub).

I know these are both instances of different takes of a genre but your halving your diversity of your IP, especially when you consider the other post-apocalypse IP from Sony first party studios like Horizon Zero Dawn and post-apocalypse survival is already a massively matured genre what with Dying Light and the resurgence of modern Resident Evil.

But they don't play the same at all, it's not the same expérience for the player. Hunting hordes in Days Gone was a thing never done before, and never done since for exemple.

They're is nothing wrong having the same theme in multiple games, as one game can't cover all players different tastes and expectations, imo.

I don't disagree but it's kind it's definitely redundant to have two post-apocalypse zombie-esque Its (The Last of Us and Days Gone) which I said way back before launch. Much like it was a redundant to have two racing sim franchises (Gran Turismo and DriveClub).

I know these are both instances of different takes of a genre but your halving your diversity of your IP, especially when you consider the other post-apocalypse IP from Sony first party studios like Horizon Zero Dawn and post-apocalypse survival is already a massively matured genre what with Dying Light and the resurgence of modern Resident Evil.
So it's better to have another f'king remake of a zombie game that was also re-mastered on PS4, instead of an extra original game that just so happens to have zombies in it and was actually pretty good in its own right? Not sure I agree on this one! :)

Disagree, days gone was deffenitly different than lou (hordes, open world vs linear) and Driveclub is arcade racing vs simcade gt sport.

Yeah, have to pitch in on comparing LoU to Days Gone...we should have no more open world games if this is the case or platformers or cover based shooters etc etc

I would've agreed with this years ago when development cycles were much shorter, but not in this day and age. I think there's plenty of room for alternation between releases from each franchise, with a 2-3 year gap between releases amounting to 4-6 year development cycles per game. Heck, that might even be enough to avoid crunch (kidding! Unfortunately...)

So yeah, having them release too close together would be a mistake, as would be making them too alike.

On the former point, I think it would be fine if Sony are just focussing on launching The Last of Us at the same sort of time as the TV show, with a new Days Gone to follow a couple of years later.

And on the latter point, I think the cutscene heavy nature of Days Gone is one of its weaker elements, one that could be almost completely done away with as both a point of differentiation and a means of keeping the budget low.

The gameplay of Days Gone was strong. The story, less so. Serviceable, with some effective subversion of expectations, but nowhere near the calibre of TLoU games. Less cutscenes, more RPG style character interactions is the right move IMO.

As much as I like the strong cinematic, narrative focus of Sony's 1st party games, they need some small quantity to scratch other itches. A light narrative (or, at least, light on cutscenes) open world game with a focus on emergent gameplay would be a very welcome string to Sony's bow. Integrate multiplayer modes into that with purchasable cosmetics and they've got a solid, fun, profitable game IMO.

And then, integrate Warhawks somehow.

They are making a new game, so all is fine by me.

Hopefully this time they will make a hit from the start, and not managing to get some public sympathies years after release.

But they don't play the same at all, it's not the same expérience for the player. Hunting hordes in Days Gone was a thing never done before, and never done since for exemple.

In terms of clearing areas and scavenging those areas for resources for crafting, Days Gone and The Last of Us are more a-like than different. Yes, the hordes are interesting but Days Gone only puts two hordes in the main missions for the player to tackle and one of those (the first) is very stage managed in an area of the map that is really easy to manage the horde. Both games railroad the player through a set path to reach the end.

The Last of Us and Days Gone play as differently as Gran Turismo and DriveClub but if you're not a fan a post-apocalypse survival games them these are two Sony first-party games you're not going to be interested in, in a massively saturated cross-platform genre.

I remember 3 hordes as main missions and also hard to not meet them at some point during night ;)
I recall two unavoidable combat encounters. The first horde you encounter which hangout in a train on a bridge overlooking a NERO checkpoint is optional. Easy to avoid and, once you've worked out the horde behaviour, easy to kill as well. I did have a lot of fun experimenting with the different toys, particularly noise-makers and proximity mines.

They are making a new game, so all is fine by me.

Hopefully this time they will make a hit from the start, and not managing to get some public sympathies years after release.
Yes but if they do a game they didn't want to do (AFAIK they wanted to do Days Gone 2), do you think they'll put all their heart and soul in that project?

I recall two unavoidable combat encounters. The first horde you encounter which hangout in a train on a bridge overlooking a NERO checkpoint is optional. Easy to avoid and, once you've worked out the horde behaviour, easy to kill as well. I did have a lot of fun experimenting with the different toys, particularly noise-makers and proximity mines.
Missions with hordes: Iron Butte Resort Horde at mission Keep Them Safe, Chemult Horde at mission You Alone I Have Seen and Old Sawmill Horde I'll Save Some for You. Imho they perfectly balanced number of obligatory mission with hordes and adding it rather like a possible encounter mostly.

Back