Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Not too long ago, I learned of the sad news, that the director of this game has left Bend Studio. That is a damn shame. The ending left the door open for a sequel. But that seems very unlikely to occur now, because Sony has the rights to the IP.

Ikuma, what's her name? - I know she left Shinji Mikami's company. That's sad as well. The Evil Within 2 deserves a great sequel. But again, her leaving has spelled bad news for the possibility of a third entry. She was one of the main creature designers, after all.

Oh, to hell with COVID-19 messing up the world in general. Seriously! :(

Why does the director leaving mean a sequel won’t be made?

Sony still make PlayStations with different people at the helm.

Agree. And game directors leaving is not a rare thing, especially after a big game like that. I wish Jeff Ross the best, but I don't doubt that, being a SIE studio, Bend will find a good replacement.

If it brought in great riches for all parties, get ready for more. But of course that is probably at least a 4 year project.

Last edited:
They should not announce Days Gone 2 early.

The original Days Gone was shown three years before it was released, that IMO hurt the game. The first showings were with old engine [framedrops and far from final visuals] and as tech demo for PS4 Pro [HDR and CB rendering], which immediately set the conversation points on how it is a generic zombie game, promoted at the same time as TLOU2.

the game looks really good, to me it's up there with the best looking ps4 games, among TLOU2 and GoT

To me, the colors used in DG look better than TLoU 2. The way the ground plants, earth and trees are rendered look better to me. I also love the ao they're using on DG because it makes the world look much denser while lou2 isn't using it. DG is open world too which is impressive imo. I don't mind how DG sacrificed clothing textures.

On the PS5 this game looks lovely. It was handsome on the Pro, but it really shines at 60fps.

I think appreciation for its graphics suffered a fair bit due to it launching so close to RDR2.

I don't follow the hype trains but it does seem like RDR2 was a touch more popular, which I feel is mainly because there's a generation that thinks very highly of GTA. I suspect that the storytelling, characterizations and open world utilization are superior to Days Gone however.

Days Gone also received some deserved criticism because of bugs and performance issues. But they have it pretty solid at this point and have added some nice things. Good idea to read the patch notes.

Last edited:
The 60fps on ps5 is really awesome. Shootings feel so much better. Well, it's "up to" 60fps, but in any case if feel better than ps4 pro. I feel it's closer to 4k than the ps4 pro version, but it's probably in my head.

I would expect the PS5 hardware to be able to keep the game at 60 fps, especially if it's at the same resolution.

The only game I'm curious about on PS5 is Until Dawn. :D That game runs almost equally poorly on PS4 and PS4 Pro. But Supermassive also didn't care to tweak it at all for PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
I also love how the game is very long. For me anyway, it took me around 2 weeks to play through every mandatory objective...
For me this is one of those blessing/curse things. It was just a little too long for me, with some missions feeling unnecessary and a little too much drive-here-burning-fuel-for-1-line-of-dialogue-mission-endings which is not great in the earlier game when fuel is such an issue. I never finished DG but I do plan to revisit it on PS5.

I do think they have a fantastic concept and mechanics base for a second game though. The combat and bike traversal are already pretty solid but I would love to see more creativity/input by the player in settlements around the game world. So instead of recruitment/rescue merely being a choice of chip camp want credit with, make it so that camps are more meaningful and provide services but to provide services they need people with particular skills. Non-viable camps get overrun with infected and lose people. Make it about not just about credit but where skills are needed.

I would expect the PS5 hardware to be able to keep the game at 60 fps, especially if it's at the same resolution.

The only game I'm curious about on PS5 is Until Dawn. :D That game runs almost equally poorly on PS4 and PS4 Pro. But Supermassive also didn't care to tweak it at all for PS4 Pro.
That game is heavily GPU bound and only uses 18CUs even on Pro (so PS5). The performance improvement on PS5 is linear with the GPU clocks (up to about 2.5x higher framerate). On PS5 it runs at a solid 60fps with occasionnal drops to sub-50fps (but the game was dropping down to 18fps on PS4 so...)

Just finished this game on the PS5.

I think it's a bit too long, and quite honestly this would have gained immensely if it wasn't about zombies.
For one, I at least am completely fed up with zombie stories/settings. Also, with zombies there's always a concern for getting infected which adds to the suspense, but somehow in this game no one is ever concerned about getting infected, nor is anyone ever infected.. Is there something I missed within the lore?

Regardless, riding the bike at some point becomes a soothing experience IMO. The story isn't great but Sam Witwer's MoCap + voice acting takes the game to great levels.
Perhaps they should have made the game more focused (less stories and story branches but deeper and longer ones).

In the end I think it's a great game and a very good showing of what Unreal Engine 4 can do at 1800p60 in the PS5.

I bought the game a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't really get into it. I knew that Open world and Zombie stuff might be difficult, but I hoped it would still click with me. Having still the last of us 2 present in my mind, it didn't click after all. So, maybe I will revisit it once I have a PS5 and some time passes...

I bought the game a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't really get into it. I knew that Open world and Zombie stuff might be difficult, but I hoped it would still click with me. Having still the last of us 2 present in my mind, it didn't click after all. So, maybe I will revisit it once I have a PS5 and some time passes...

I think the game is way too cruel in the beginning. With the firearms and melee weapons you get in the beginning it sometimes takes like a full pistol clip to bring down weak enemies (human or zombie), which makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous. We also don't have enough stamina to outrun zombies and the focus feature at first is so short that it's completely worthless.

By the middle of the game it becomes a lot more arcadey and more fun to play, IMO.

Yeah it’s a slow starter .

was quite amusing a couple nights ago though, I had forgotten how much bigger the hordes are - so I’m like ‘let’s just take out a horde’ which turned into a ‘holy sh.... I’m gonna die’! I was running from one horde which I have dispatched around 75% of and bumped into another! Lol

I just remember turning round expecting to see ~30-50 zombies to just see a literal sea of zombies chasing me whilst low on ammo and meds etc.

Managed to lose them and re-find them a few times accidentally too as I headed back to my bike!

Got there in the end, man that was an adrenaline rush! :D

Back